• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Gurney Stones

It's an inappropriate face carved into stone, in an unusual place, where it will not be noticed. Sometimes the stonemasons did them on churches, just for a joke. Sometime they are in stone walls. I find them fascinating.O.o

5 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

I think many of the 'surprising' carvings were a nod to superstition and pre christian religion.

Yes, and some were a mason's joke, to see whether they could get away with it.

58 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I make my own gurney stones to amuse myself when I’m out and about.xD 

Not carved. I glue the eyes and noses on.

Sometimes I leave them on beaches

Here’s a few of them.

C9D3960B-55D9-4CE9-8034-83DBF51633B4.jpeg

I thought I was looking in a mirror there for a minute.

I have a datum O/S mark carved into a brick in my house. Apparently it's 150-200 years old. Lucky someone told me as I was going to repoint it. :ph34r:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark_(surveying)

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Easter Island?

Pinny, did you just appropriate your language and culture? The PC/modern version is "Rapa Nui" !

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I have a datum O/S mark carved into a brick in my house. Apparently it's 150-200 years old. Lucky someone told me as I was going to repoint it. :ph34r:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmark_(surveying)

Pinny, did you just appropriate your language and culture? The PC/modern version is "Rapa Nui" !

That doesn't make any sense to this old sailor. Easter Island is conveniently placed between Christmas Island, and August Bank Holiday Island.

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

If you Google 'gurney stones' Dosbods is the first result. :D

It's me innit? Was talking to an elderly (more so than I) chap, and that's what he calls them. I'd never heard the word before. Children find them, and they are always fascinated.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's me innit? Was talking to an elderly (more so than I) chap, and that's what he calls them. I'd never heard the word before. Children find them, and they are always fascinated.

I think you've done well to find something the internet seemingly wasn't previously aware of up until now.

2 minutes ago, eight said:

I think you've done well to find something the internet seemingly wasn't previously aware of up until now.

I think my friend's kid saw one in a wall. We were just off to the pub for lunch. And there's a strange carved face in a stone wall. I'd never noticed it.