• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Remember this from Sept 2016 - officer was acquitted

The police officer was acquitted yesterday.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/white-tulsa-police-officer-betty-shelby-acquitted-over-fatal-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man/

An Oklahoma jury on Wednesday found a white Tulsa police officer not guilty of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man in a confrontation caught on video last September, stoking a national debate over racial bias in law enforcement.

Betty Shelby, 43, was acquitted after a week-long trial. She denied race was a factor in the killing and insisted her actions were driven entirely by the behavior of the man she shot, Terence Crutcher, 40, after his car was left blocking a road.

Police videos of the incident were seen globally, and some civil rights advocates have argued that race was a factor. Rights advocates saw the Crutcher case as another in a string of deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of the police in the United States that has spawned periodic protests and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Lawyers for Shelby have said she believed that Crutcher may have been trying to reach through a partially open window for a weapon in the vehicle when she shot him.

14 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

tbh, it looked like he walked away from the police, reach into his car and took something out. it seemed a "fair" shooting to me...

That could be correct. The safe and sensible reaction these days would be to stand still and do nothing. But an equally sensible and innocent person might just as readily think, "if I walk with my hands up and get my Drivers License they won't shoot me will they ?" Some people are dangerous and now we are all considered so, and I feel that doesn't just apply to the way we are viewed by the Police.

20 minutes ago, davidg said:

> and some civil rights advocates have argued that race was a factor

I would say race is a factor. When you see a black guy in the US you probably are thinking "drug dealer? pimp? gang member? better be careful and keep my gun handy". Given that blacks (for whatever socia-economic factors) are more likely to be involved in crime and violent crime the police "heuristic" is entirely normal.

It is not up to police officers on the ground to compensate for a whole load of societal factors. A US cop is very likely to be going home to his family in a wooden box if he (or she) makes a bad call.

That said, things are what they are, and anyone showing any signs of resistance knows they are likely to be shot.

Was going to say this almost verbatim. 

Like you say, it doesn't really matter what the underlying social conditions are for it (which may well ultimately be racist, or not), but if somebodies race, gender or whaterver puts them in a group of people more likely to commit a crime or escalated a situation then it will change the decisions made. 

7 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

That makes it look as though he was very stupid and she wasn't very authoritative or competent. A loud shout followed by a shot in the air (possibly illegal?) to accompany the order to stop walking away and he'd have probably stopped.

Not stupid.

Autopsy results released by the Oklahoma State Medical Examiner indicated that Terence Crutcher had "acute phencyclidine (PCP) intoxication" at the time of the shooting. The report stated that Crutcher had 96 nanograms per milliliter of PCP in his blood at the time of death. [28] The report also indicated that tenocyclidine (TCP), a psychostimulant and hallucinogen which is more potent than PCP, was present.[29]

Source :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Terence_Crutcher

1 minute ago, XswampyX said:

Aha thks for that, well easy to see why she was acquitted. Wasn't impressed with her wailing performance when describing what happened though, if you join up as a cop in the US this kind of thing has got to be a possibility and you must deal with it.

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

Aha thks for that, well easy to see why she was acquitted. Wasn't impressed with her wailing performance when describing what happened though, if you join up as a cop in the US this kind of thing has got to be a possibility and you must deal with it.

Yeah. No doubt she knows how / what to do in a police interview. Wouldn't you do the same?

Its not easy to see what is going on in that footage. The fella might well be reaching for something but it's not really clear. Whatever though. That country has some real problems when it comes to whites/blacks and the sheer number of guns that people have. I have no idea what the future holds for them but I doubt it is going to be very good. 

Just to add. I don't hold out too much hope for the UK either,

1 hour ago, Uncivilservant said:

Its not easy to see what is going on in that footage. The fella might well be reaching for something but it's not really clear. Whatever though. That country has some real problems when it comes to whites/blacks and the sheer number of guns that people have. I have no idea what the future holds for them but I doubt it is going to be very good. 

Just to add. I don't hold out too much hope for the UK either,

Similar trigger-happy response as the Oz woman in the US who was shot on her doorstep by the Somali copper. 

9 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Yeah. No doubt she knows how / what to do in a police interview. Wouldn't you do the same?

Lawyer coaching I guess. No I would have difficulty with that, wailing like a twat when I had just been doing my best. Mind you I wouldn't have killed him, as I could (when young with good eyes not now) shoot a fly's balls off with both pistol and rifle, at that range there was no need for anyone any good to kill him.

So he had PCP in his blood stream, he was walking away from a police officer who had a gun on him, was disobeying a legal command (presumably to stop the fuck up) and he went to a car and reached into it ... he got shot ... I fail to see the problem here.

It's very simple, if the police do have a gun on you - yes you can be all ballsy and there is a high probability you will get shot in the USA.

Be polite, state clearly what you're doing - for example if you are in a car and are pulled over, put the inside light on (if dark) so the officer can see, have your hands on the steering wheel, don't give a load of attitude. Be polite - if you need to reach somewhere for a drivers licence, state what you are doing and move SLOWLY.  If you do have a conceal carry firearm, yes, you are under no obligation to disclose that - but you can say something like 'officer, my drivers license is in my rear right pocket. I also have a carried firearm for which I have a concealed carry license, to make us both feel safe how would you like to proceed? (without making sudden movements)'

It's not fucking difficult.

This idiot is dead and I won't shed any tears.