DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Zero Nutritional Value Nominations

stop_the_craziness

stop_the_craziness

Someone offered me one of those "Hit" biscuits the other day.  I remember when they were something you could only get in Europe and I accepted it in a haze of nostalgia from Inter-railing days.   Jesus, were they always just made of dust, air and chemicals?  My rose-tinted spectacles well and truly fell off.  It reminded me of @Frank Hovis posting how few aisles in the supermarket sell items that are actual foodstuffs.

What are your nominations for top non-food that you either eat or don't eat?

HitBiscuit.jpg

Edited by stop_the_craziness
  • Agree 3

Frank Hovis

Rice cakes always strike me as simple "filler".

rice-cake.jpg

I read way back that models used to keep thin by smoking, drinking orange juice, and eating toilet paper (presumably their own supply).

The toilet paper was simple bulk that staved off the hunger pangs and those rice cakes look the same.  The fruit sugars in orange juice wouldn't have done them much good but it wouldn't have been laid down as fat either.

I would also say all breakfast cereals.  Corn flour or flakes or white wheat flour plus sugar and flavouring with a few vitaimins added to give the impression of health.

They're......... nutritionally bereft!

6j50navqjm321.jpg?auto=webp&s=55ddb0dd42

Just look at that "Froot Loops" packet - that doesn't even resemble food.  You may as well eat a bowl of smarties.

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

Frank Hovis
11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Anything 'pastry' related. Complete non-food.

Yes.

Not that I've been in one but from what I've seen of their products Greggs' offerings, whether sweet or savoury, are essentially white flour, fat and salt with some heavily processed filling for flavour.

It's cheap and it fills you up.

It isn't however food.

• Agree 2

Don Coglione
30 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes.

Not that I've been in one but from what I've seen of their products Greggs' offerings, whether sweet or savoury, are essentially white flour, fat and salt with some heavily processed filling for flavour.

It's cheap and it fills you up.

It isn't however food.

From the man whose idea of fine dining is lunch at Wetherspoons!

• Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, Don Coglione said:

From the man whose idea of fine dining is lunch at Wetherspoons!

It's decent food!

Okay it's mostly microwaved rather than cooked in an artisan stone oven by someone wth a foreign accent but the food is good.

Obviously if you go for the burger with chips and onion rings, which I sometimes do, then you are eating at the McDonalds level but their steaks for one are excellent.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

JoeDavola
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's decent food!

Okay it's mostly microwaved rather than cooked in an artisan stone oven by someone wth a foreign accent but the food is good.

Obviously if you go for the burger with chips and onion rings, which I sometimes do, then you are eating at the McDonalds level but their steaks for one are excellent.

Yep, a steak with a baked spud and some veg used to be my go-to in WS on steak nights and it was incredible value.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Snake Plissken

Pringles, they're not even real potato crisps.

Also when you get packets of mixed nuts and they put things in it that aren't even nuts like corn starch chunks

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Also when you get packets of mixed nuts and they put things in it that aren't even nuts like corn starch chunks

Finding bags of pistachio kernels on Amazon, without the sodding shell, was my find of 2021...

Van Lady
6 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Someone offered me one of those "Hit" biscuits the other day.  I remember when they were something you could only get in Europe and I accepted it in a haze of nostalgia from Inter-railing days.   Jesus, were they always just made of dust, air and chemicals?  My rose-tinted spectacles well and truly fell off.  It reminded me of @Frank Hovis posting how few aisles in the supermarket sell items that are actual foodstuffs.

What are your nominations for top non-food that you either eat or don't eat?

HitBiscuit.jpg

Yes, I don’t look at anything much in supermarkets other than fresh produce apart from things like rice, herbs/spices, tomato purée, natural fats.

The majority of “food” for sale is just processed shite.

Quite a number of years ago I resolved to quit sugar and haven’t eaten biscuits, cakes, sweets etc other than an occasional treat. 

Similarly I avoid crisps these days because they are crap now and full of additives plus fried in veg oil. I try to stick to using natural fats like butter, butcher bought beef dripping, quality olive oil and coconut oil but not sure about the latter. I’m not keen on seed oils but use sesame oil for stir frying with noodles because it does taste good. I limit noodles and pasta consumption because of trying to eat low carbs.

When I see fat folk’s shopping on the conveyer belt while I’m waiting to pay I’m not surprised they’re fat because they are mainly buying processed shit.

• Agree 8

Frank Hovis
8 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Pringles, they're not even real potato crisps.

Pringles have a higher fat content than whipped cream and have been legally defined as a biscuit or cake rather than a crisp in a VAT ruling.  They are garbage.

At last year's High Court hearing, Procter & Gamble insisted that their best-selling product was not similar to potato crisps, because of their "mouth melt" taste, "uniform colour" and "regular shape" which "is not found in nature".

It also argued that potato crisps - unlike Pringles - did not contain non-potato flours, and were not packaged in tubes.

Pringles are more like a cake or a biscuit, it claimed, because they are manufactured from dough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8060204.stm

• Informative 4

Frank Hovis
4 hours ago, Van Lady said:

When I see fat folk’s shopping on the conveyer belt while I’m waiting to pay I’m not surprised they’re fat because they are mainly buying processed shit.

Absolutely.  This is my point when people say fat people just need to eat less.

Their problem is that they are often eaten highly processed, addictive and nutrititionally poor food that doesn't satisfy you and leaves you craving for more.

Paul Mason, the guy who was Britan's fattest man from Ipswich, was eating a hundred packets of crisps a night.  If he was eating apples rather than crisps then they would satisfy his hunger and he would only eat them until he was full; maybe four or five.  Eating a bag of crisps makes you want to eat another bag of crisps.

This locally famous fat bloke recognised the addictive nature of takeaway food, to which he was addicted, such that he tried to prevent another KFC being opened in Plymouth.

Benefits scrounger who claimed he was 'too fat to work' is launching a campaign to stop another takeaway being built near his home by chaining himself to a KFC 

• Stephen Beer and his wife Michelle are childhood obesity activists
  • Unemployed Stephen shed 11 stone after tipping scales at 31 stone
  • Now he's campaigning for third KFC outlet in Plymouth to be scrapped 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692540/Benefits-scrounger-claimed-fat-work-launching-campaign-stop-takeaway-built-near-home-chaining-KFC.html

The basic dietary advice given out by the NHS should be to eat proper food and forget about calories and fat.

I've mentioned before, and it's worth repeating, that whilst I'm not there at present about ten years ago I was extremely fit and taking loads of exercise.  In that healthy state my body was selecting the food for me.  I would have the biggest steak in Wetherspoons and eat that and the peas but not touch the chips because my body wasn't recognising them as food and I fancied eating them about as much as I did the paper napkin.

Up to that point I had thought that you shoudl have a decent diet in order to be fit; I then realised that if you are fit then you naturally have a decent diet because you are in tune with your body's requiremenst rather than craving a food "hit" from crisps, sweets or carbs.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis

A timely news story for this thread:

BAD HABIT

Eating popular snacks drastically increases your risk of top killer

SNACKING on ultra-processed food can shorten your life by putting you at higher risk for top killer dementia, a new study has suggested.

The study, published in the American Academy of Neurology, found that in slightly increasing your daily intake of ultra-processed foods can significantly increase your risk of developing dementia.

Researchers found that for every 10 per cent increase in someone's daily intake of ultra-processed foods, they had a 25 per cent higher risk of dementia.

Meanwhile, researchers estimated that by substituting 10 per cent of ultra-processed foods with unprocessed foods, like fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes and meat, people would reduce their dementia risk by 19 per cent.

NINTCHDBPICT000350796945-1.jpg?w=960

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/19336949/popular-snacks-increases-risk-dementia/

Out of that picture I have two small packets of crisps a week and two medium sized packets of biscuits.  I begin to think that I shouldn't even have that.  I don't eat sweets, fizzy pop, or breakfast cereal.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely.  This is my point when people say fat people just need to eat less.

Their problem is that they are often eaten highly processed, addictive and nutrititionally poor food that doesn't satisfy you and leaves you craving for more.

Paul Mason, the guy who was Britan's fattest man from Ipswich, was eating a hundred packets of crisps a night.  If he was eating apples rather than crisps then they would satisfy his hunger and he would only eat them until he was full; maybe four or five.  Eating a bag of crisps makes you want to eat another bag of crisps.

This locally famous fat bloke recognised the addictive nature of takeaway food, to which he was addicted, such that he tried to prevent another KFC being opened in Plymouth.

Benefits scrounger who claimed he was 'too fat to work' is launching a campaign to stop another takeaway being built near his home by chaining himself to a KFC 

• Stephen Beer and his wife Michelle are childhood obesity activists
  • Unemployed Stephen shed 11 stone after tipping scales at 31 stone
  • Now he's campaigning for third KFC outlet in Plymouth to be scrapped 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692540/Benefits-scrounger-claimed-fat-work-launching-campaign-stop-takeaway-built-near-home-chaining-KFC.html

The basic dietary advice given out by the NHS should be to eat proper food and forget about calories and fat.

I've mentioned before, and it's worth repeating, that whilst I'm not there at present about ten years ago I was extremely fit and taking loads of exercise.  In that healthy state my body was selecting the food for me.  I would have the biggest steak in Wetherspoons and eat that and the peas but not touch the chips because my body wasn't recognising them as food and I fancied eating them about as much as I did the paper napkin.

Up to that point I had thought that you shoudl have a decent diet in order to be fit; I then realised that if you are fit then you naturally have a decent diet because you are in tune with your body's requiremenst rather than craving a food "hit" from crisps, sweets or carbs.

It's my "two types of hunger" theory.

If you're not getting the nutrition your body needs, the hunger signal won't get switched off.

We can't really tell the difference between the two hunger types consciously, but instead by analysis and experience. 

• Informative 1

18 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's decent food!

It is not possible to cook a <250g  sirloin steak to the correct temp. It will have to be well-done. fair enough on a rump. that brings into question the quality of the beef and the life the cow lived. will have to disagree with you on it being decent. good value, yes. probably better than most fast food/high street offerings.

I would rather refrain from eating that kind of beef myself. Last week £17 for a 550g dry aged sirloin, reared locally. feeds both of us. Now that is decent and great value in my book.

Edited by A_P
  • Agree 1

nirvana

most of the stuff in supermarkets is just shite.......I had an amusing gif with an 'aisle map' but I think I wiped it on the old puter.......not sure supermarkets are good for you nowadays....especially when the yankees are now showing that there is glyphosate in 80% of folks piss :S

AnotherBackFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif

15 hours ago, nirvana said:

most of the stuff in supermarkets is just shite.......I had an amusing gif with an 'aisle map' but I think I wiped it on the old puter.......not sure supermarkets are good for you nowadays....especially when the yankees are now showing that there is glyphosate in 80% of folks piss :S

I suspect that's the old "cocaine on every used £20 banknote" nonsense...

On 27/07/2022 at 14:33, JoeDavola said:

Anything 'pastry' related. Complete non-food.

A nice pie :Old:

Fine the pastry isn't the main "food bit" but it's pretty nice. 

20 hours ago, nirvana said:

Northern Irish again. Scum of the earth !!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

Roger_Mellie

I eat very little shite, I snack on Brazil nuts and get through about 25 quids worth a week. 

There's a lot of stuff with not much nutritional value, mainly carby stuff: anything with refined sugar, pasta, rice, white bread, beer - especially cheap lager. It's just energy. 

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
19 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I eat very little shite, I snack on Brazil nuts and get through about 25 quids worth a week. 

There's a lot of stuff with not much nutritional value, mainly carby stuff: anything with refined sugar, pasta, rice, white bread, beer - especially cheap lager. It's just energy. 

I will graze on any rubbish food. The soloution for me is just not to have it in stock. Out of harms reach. Learnt this some time ago.

I being good tonight there were some left over spring onions in the patch. Grazing on them instead. No one around to offend with my sulphur breath.

COSTCO do some bulk buys on various nuts, with you here, another good grazing material.

JoeDavola
5 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I’m sure you know this but if your eating 25 quids worth of Brazil nuts a week you are at real risk of overdosing on selenium.

Roger_Mellie
10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I’m sure you know this but if your eating 25 quids worth of Brazil nuts a week you are at real risk of overdosing on selenium.

Really? I didn't know that. 

I need to check how much I'm eating. I eat a lot of nuts. 

Just checked... 25 quid is over egging it a bit.I probably eat a kilo. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I suspect you overdose on it every weekend too from the milky cocktails you slurp down...

• Lol 1

JoeDavola
6 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Really? I didn't know that. 

I need to check how much I'm eating. I eat a lot of nuts. 

Just checked... 25 quid is over egging it a bit.I probably eat a kilo. 

2 Brazil nuts a day is enough to meet and maybe even exceed RDA. The good news is that eating a couple of Brazil nuts a day is a great thing cause a hefty percentage of folk don’t get enough selenium, but I wouldn’t eat say 8 Brazil nuts every day. Worth a wee google anyway to see how much selenium you are likely taking in vs upper tolerable levels.