• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

DOSBODS food club

Anyone fancy joining in? 

It needs to be a recipe for something unusual that people probably haven't had before, or a very unusual twist on something.

I will start with my own invention - chicken, rocket and feta.

Thinly slice a red onion, and mix it with two chopped chicken breasts, two chopped birds eye chillis, a small tub of blue Dragon mussaman curry paste, a squidge of tomato puree and a good glug of groundout oil.

Leave to marinade for an hour or so.

Heat some oil in a wok and lob in the above mix. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add equal glugs of liquid honey and balsamic vinegar (about 2 tablespoons of each) and cook for another 2 minutes.

Lower the heat. Throw in a cubed block of feta and a bag of rocket. Stir for about a minute so the feta just starts to melt and the rocket is wilting.

Serve with bread (garlic, flat or crusty).

Any takers?

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Anyone fancy joining in? 

It needs to be a recipe for something unusual that people probably haven't had before, or a very unusual twist on something.

I will start with my own invention - chicken, rocket and feta.

Thinly slice a red onion, and mix it with two chopped chicken breasts, two chopped birds eye chillis, a small tub of blue Dragon mussaman curry paste, a squidge of tomato puree and a good glug of groundout oil.

Leave to marinade for an hour or so.

Heat some oil in a wok and lob in the above mix. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add equal glugs of liquid honey and balsamic vinegar (about 2 tablespoons of each) and cook for another 2 minutes.

Lower the heat. Throw in a cubed block of feta and a bag of rocket. Stir for about a minute so the feta just starts to melt and the rocket is wilting.

Serve with bread (garlic, flat or crusty).

Any takers?

That sounds lovely.

I can’t be arsed faffing too much with cooking. I always cook my own stuff though.

Today I had some chicken stock from cooking chicken thighs for the dogs in the slow cooker.

I made sweet potato and broccoli soup using very reduced and tasty stock. If no stock I find knorr veg stock cubes nice. All very very finally grated with some onion, carrot (and ordinary potato added to thicken). You can whiz it in a machine but I don’t bother. Ground Sea salt and black pepper added for my personal taste, I like a lot. It was very nice. No photo of this.

One of my personal favourites is my version of a chicken tandoori. Not authentic but it suits me. I have it once a week usually because it’s so nice.

Method -

I use half a chicken but breast, leg or anything will do.

For easiness I slash the skin and rub Patak tandoori paste on (I should mix my own) along with olive oil. A jar does about six times. Put in fridge overnight or even a few hours.

Curry sauce method for two.

Sweat finally grated fresh onions, garlic cloves, an inch or so cube of finely grated ginger and one finely chopped chilli in butter and oil then add one tablespoon of ground coriander and cumin, one teaspoon of cumin seeds, half a teaspoon of turmeric, half a teaspoon of chilli powder, fresh finely chopped coriander, half a small pack of passata and a good squirt of tomato paste. When it’s mixed I chuck it in the slow cooker to cook for 4 hours on low. Two hours before serving I throw in a couple of largish chunks of sweet potato, some small chunks of potato and a handful of frozen broad beans.

One and a half hours before serving I put the half chicken in the oven breast down and set my timer for 45 minutes. Then I drain the juice off and turn it over and set timer for thirty minutes. I like stuff very well cooked so times can be adjusted for preference.

When timer goes off, ten minutes before eating I cook basamiti rice with a teaspoon of turmeric, a teaspoon of garam masala and about five cardamom pods. Set timer again for six minutes, remove chicken and put nans in oven  (I should make my own) set timer for four minutes.

Drain rice and serve with fresh coriander on top and ground sea salt to taste. 

Not authentic chicken tandoori but I love it. Spicing is optional and experimenting is recommended to find your favourite taste.

The trick is making what you like to eat along with minding how much time you have or willingness to spend time.

FFCD9956-758F-4947-87EB-72FCD483BDAD.jpeg

Edited by Economic Exile

Harissa paste. It's certainly no Epoisses but rub it on a chicken before roasting said chicken and there is appeal for sure. More nom-nom than cow-pat psychodelia. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Looks great. Can you deliver within the hour?

xD

I have considered setting up a business for home cooked meals for local single men. I’m sure there’s a market for it and there’s money to be made but truthfully I can’t be arsed. 

It’s enough for me to feed myself and son with minimal effort and cost!

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

xD

I have considered setting up a business for home cooked meals for local single men. I’m sure there’s a market for it and there’s money to be made but truthfully I can’t be arsed. 

It’s enough for me to feed myself and son with minimal effort and cost!

How sexist is that!

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

How sexist is that!

Not sexist at all CP. 

My experience is that many single men just don’t know how to cook. Many women can’t either!

Looking forward to inspiration for cooking from able dosboders!

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

Not sexist at all CP. 

My experience is that many single men just don’t know how to cook. Many women can’t either!

Looking forward to inspiration for cooking from able dosboders!

So a generalisation as well, based on a small sample 😕

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

So a generalisation as well, based on a small sample 😕

Yes. I have nothing else to offer on the matter!

Do you have any more easy tasty recipes?

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

Yes. I have nothing else to offer on the matter!

Do you have any more easy tasty recipes?

Loads. But I am not going to release them all at once! Try the above first. It is my go-to Friday night comfort recipe.

Actually, if I didn't need to work for a living, I would love to teach basic cooking. Either to single men, or particularly to kids (teenagers) since the skill seems to have missed a generation and could soon be lost forever.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Loads. But I am not going to release them all at once! Try the above first. It is my go-to Friday night comfort recipe.

Actually, if I didn't need to work for a living, I would love to teach basic cooking. Either to single men, or particularly to kids (teenagers) since the skill seems to have missed a generation and could soon be lost forever.

I agree.

My daughter is a great vegetarian cook using basic ingredients and is accumulating a variety of recipes.

In contrast my son has no interest and can only heat pizza, ready meals, make a fry up, beans etc.

One only has to look at the proliferation of takeaways in every town and city to assume home cooking is not a preference for many.

My hope is that home cooking will win out.

Rocket and feta is always a lovely combination for me. I’ll give your recipe a go. I think it’ll be tasty.

Not my recipe. Maybe DTMark or some of the other veggies on here will give it a try - it has no meat or fish but you could easily add some seared pork if you want to. I have it for lunch normally with some rice. 

Very healthy as we don't eat enough seaweed / iodine in the UK generally. 

Seaweed ginger and carrot salad!!

https://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/seaweed-ginger-and-carrot-salad-shop

seaweed_-ginger-and-carrot-salad_plenty-

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I agree.

My daughter is a great vegetarian cook using basic ingredients and is accumulating a variety of recipes.

In contrast my son has no interest and can only heat pizza, ready meals, make a fry up, beans etc.

One only has to look at the proliferation of takeaways in every town and city to assume home cooking is not a preference for many.

My hope is that home cooking will win out.

Rocket and feta is always a lovely combination for me. I’ll give your recipe a go. I think it’ll be tasty.

How old is your son? i didn't start to cook until i was about 21. it coincided with my metabolism slowing right down and realising i could no longer wolf down 2 pizzas in one sitting!

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

How old is your son? i didn't start to cook until i was about 21. it coincided with my metabolism slowing right down and realising i could no longer wolf down 2 pizzas in one sitting!

He’s almost 24. Still living st home and mum cooking his meals five days a week. I insist he fends for himself two days a week.

All he makes on those two days are things I mentioned up thread or he orders a home delivery takeaway.!

Your recipe upthread looks lovely. Very colourful! 

I like a variety of colour on my plate. Anything with no colour is a miss for me.

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

He’s almost 24. Still living st home and mum cooking his meals five days a week. I insist he fends for himself two days a week.

All he makes on those two days are things I mentioned up thread or he orders a home delivery takeaway.!

I like a variety of colour on my plate. Anything with no colour is a miss for me.

My youngest is 15. I cook for him at weekends. The rest of the time he fends for himself. He is a whizz at stir fries (and lasagne when he has the time)

Sorry to be harsh but you aren't doing your son any favours. Make him cook for you at least once a week. Maybe challenge him to cook my recipe. It is very simple.

47 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

He's in clover, can I be your son instead of him? (it will look a bit odd as am 52) I will cook once a week, and if it's only once a week I'm fairly good, though not like Mr Plan.

Our household favourite is lamb wrap. I invented it myself.

Take leftover lamb from a roast (fattier bits the better) and thinly slice. It is easy to freeze also for later use.

Fry with an equal amount of coursely chopped onion, using no oil, that's what the lamb fat is for. Add cider vinegar at a ratio of 1 tbs per wrap to be served.

Wait until lamb is browned off and add cherry tomatoes, each halved. Continue to cook until they are still firm, but hot.

Warm tortilla wraps in the microwave until soft and paste with mayonnaise. Wrap the lamb mix and eat.

Usually 10 minutes cook time.

This isn't mine - it's from Nigel Slater but one of my favourite recipes for lamb.

2-3 cutlets per person

A few sage leaves (I find dried sage is ok but cook for less time)

4-6 anchovies 

small waxy potatoes (as many as you are greedy)

butter

boil/steam potatoes until tender, cut into halves

fry cutlets in small amount of oil until cooked to your preference

take lamb out of pan to rest, add lump of butter to pan, I think the official recipe is 40gms for 2 people

when melted, add anchovies, fry until broken up and add sage to fry for a few seconds.

tip potatoes back into pan with anchovy butter mix, stir to coat

serve with lamb and veg of choice - broccoli goes nicely with it.

Dice some pork. Fry with some chopped onions and peppers.

Stick in a casserole pot with a tin of chopped tomatoes a tin of lentils and a tin of chickpeas. Add some seasoning and a stock cube.

Stick in the oven at 140c for 2.5hrs.

Eat with bread of choice.

A quick, simple, cheap and tasty meal that easily scales up and down although you will need a LARGE casserole dish if cooking for four as the food needs to steam as well as fry.

Ingredients for two

Tablespoon of vegetable oil

4/5 diced slices of bacon

Two large or four small sweet potatoes, unpeeled but washed and diced 

200 gms kale, rinsed and shredded (if that seems too much, go for two VERY large handfuls)

Smoked Paprika

Two eggs

Method

Heat oil in large casserole

Gently fry bacon until fat runs

Add sweet potato dice, toss in fat and fry for a minute or so

Add one teaspoon of paprika and fry for a further two minutes stirring frequently

Cover casserole and continue cooking on hob, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking

When potato is softened (10 minutes or so) add kale and stir into potato, paprika and bacon mix

Cover again and cook for 5 minutes or so or until kale is cooked to your taste

Meanwhile, fry eggs in separate pan

Spoon bacon, potato and kale mix into a bowl and top with an egg 

1 hour ago, Duck said:

A quick, simple, cheap and tasty meal that easily scales up and down although you will need a LARGE casserole dish if cooking for four as the food needs to steam as well as fry.

Ingredients for two

200 gms kale, rinsed and shredded (if that seems too much, go for two VERY large handfuls)

Smoked Paprika

Two eggs

Method

Add one teaspoon of paprika and fry for a further two minutes stirring frequently

Cover casserole and continue cooking on hob, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking

When potato is softened (10 minutes or so) add kale and stir into potato, paprika and bacon mix

Sounds good, I've some kale in my veg box this week so will give it a go.

4 hours ago, Duck said:

Ingredients for two

Smoked Paprika

Two eggs

Method

No duck? Disappointed.