DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Growing rocket, or coriander, or basil

spunko

These are things I just cannot grow. Coriander I've all but given up on, rocket was going well in a tub (couldn't ever grow it without bolting when planted in the ground). Then the very hot weather arrived and then it bolted.

Does anyone here have any success stories? I think it might just be too warm down here. Even if I put them in the shade, they just bolt as soon as it goes above 28C. Today it was 30C.

Edited by spunko

One percent

Basil, yes. I’ve got some from the supermarket months ago which is still going strong. I have also sown some which is ok but i made the mistake of putting each one in a separate pot. It looks like you need to sow it in clumps. 

coriander, I’ve tried but unsuccessful. It bolts. I’ve just down some in a larger pot so we shall see.  Not tried rocket. 

• Agree 1

nirvana
39 minutes ago, spunko said:

Coriander I've all but given up on,

i grew some coriander in a tub this year.......friend gave me like 50+ seeds so I just chucked em all in.......then it started to flower and I was a bit lax watering it and I think the heat has killed it all off now......was very tasty whilst it lasted

belfastchild

3 years ago I grew a lot of rocket, favourite thing to pick in the garden.
Grew basil on the kitchen window, same as above.
Coriander same as basil.

This year? Basil ate by scale which then spread to everything else. Rocket and coriander both bolt. Have tried 3 different batches of coriander and rocket this year, same result. It hasnt even been that hot over here and its fucking monsoon season.

Scale is now attacking my jalapenos and mint in the conservatory and making a right fucking mess.

Just thinking, pretty much everything has bolted this year, spinach, swiss chard, beetroot, radish, oregano, etc etc.
Raspberries are the biggest Ive ever seen in 15 years of growing them (a lot of water here, a lot).

Should get a great crop of spuds and very happy with my first time growing peas and beans. Tomatoes are shite and havent had enough sun.

Going back to growing small pots on the kitchen window and harvesting regularly and drying/freezing.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, nirvana said:

i grew some coriander in a tub this year.......friend gave me like 50+ seeds so I just chucked em all in.......then it started to flower and I was a bit lax watering it and I think the heat has killed it all off now......was very tasty whilst it lasted

Coriander is one of the most difficult plants to grow IMO, even more difficult than gardenia which is famously very fussy but I'm giving that a go too. Anyway coriander needs heat, but not too much of it. It needs sunlight, but not too much of it and not direct. And you can't even just sit it in damp soil because then it'll just wilt. Where it comes from naturally like in Turkey and Greece they grow it on north facing slopes etc. I've basically given up, even the supermarket ones only last for a few months on a windowsill before going all pale.

• Informative 1

Van Lady

I’ve tried several times to grow coriander and always failed. It always bolts. Don’t bother now but I love coriander and would be interested if anyone has tips.

Decent basil crops sown in small pots on windowsill when I’ve grown. None growing  this year.

Never tried growing rocket. For years though I’ve had self sowing trailing nasturtiums in an area of my garden. The young leaves are lovely in salad, in my opinion, they have a “pepper” type taste possibly similar to rocket for some palates. Flowers are edible too but I’ve never tried them

• Agree 2

The Grey Man

Corriander. It has a very short span to bolt.

Likes wet. Likes heat. UK varieties better than foriegn seed. Adapted so a bit slower to bolt. Bigger plant.

Out west of Manchester, Chat Moss, there were a few farms that grew this successfully for market. That is the northerly edge of the hot zone in the UK and usually wet.

Rocket. Only ever do as a spring veg. Put it with the spinach. Another special beast who loves to bolt.

Basil. Hot and dry. I used to, well my wife did, Asian Basils and flog them. They are perinneal plants in their home environment so you need a bigger pot than the european basil. Waste of time germinating early. I had seperate greenhouse space for these in the day donated to the basils.

• Agree 1

I think I had better success with rocket when it was in a mixed salad leaf mix, whether other leaves shaded it a bit or whether the other leaves formed  better soil cover stopping  the soil drying out so quickly might have played a part. Like beans don't think you can really overwater in the summer.  US micro green growers grow huge amounts of arugula (rocket) so must be some way to do it reliably.

Stinky Wizzleteats
On 04/08/2022 at 19:55, Van Lady said:

Never tried growing rocket. For years though I’ve had self sowing trailing nasturtiums in an area of my garden. The young leaves are lovely in salad, in my opinion, they have a “pepper” type taste possibly similar to rocket for some palates. Flowers are edible too but I’ve never tried them

Yes I'm a big proponent of nasturtiums. Dead easy to grow, never bolt and give you seeds for the following year. And nice to look at

The flowers taste similar to the leaves. A nasturtium-only salad would be a bit overwhelming!

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

I didn't realise you could even eat nasturtium leaves. I grow them every year as sacrificial plants to keep the aphids away from my other veg.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Battenberg
On 04/08/2022 at 21:47, sarahbell said:

The joy of rocket bolting is that it's still edible. Unlike lettuce which turns so utterly bloody bitter.

My lettuce bolted and I think my broccoli has done the same. Its all leaves and no heads. 

• Informative 1

Van Lady
7 hours ago, spunko said:

I didn't realise you could even eat nasturtium leaves. I grow them every year as sacrificial plants to keep the aphids away from my other veg.

Give them a go.

I really like rocket but prefer to substitute with young nasturtium leaves. Fresh with no chemicals!

I’ve always got a constant supply as I leave the area to die off and let the seeds fall to the soil before clearing and there’s alway young plants appearing even now.

Regarding runner beans as others have posted mine are flowering but poor bean formation. Seems to be improving now. Fingers crossed.

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Another useless fact. Think nasturtium seeds zero rated for VAT.

So not a flower in the eyes of our government 🤣

You think that's interesting, I'll raise you this,  nasturtium is a pond plant, what you buy in the supermarket called watercress

What we call nasturtium is actually called trapeo something. Nasturtium officianale, dunno why we don't call it by its proper name. Nasturtiums are called something else entirely.

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

The Grey Man
2 hours ago, spunko said:

You think that's interesting, I'll raise you this,  nasturtium is a pond plant, what you buy in the supermarket called watercress

What we call nasturtium is actually called trapeo something. Nasturtium officianale, dunno why we don't call it by its proper name. Nasturtiums are called something else entirely.

I have them. Easy peasy for pollinators. I just pull what I do not need.

Good ground cover to.

• Agree 1

sarahbell
6 hours ago, Battenberg said:

My lettuce bolted and I think my broccoli has done the same. Its all leaves and no heads. 

Lettuce cucumber and tomato. Sun gold. Quite a few but some tiny ones. 

So far this year I've been eating strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, peas and potatoes from the garden, still waiting for my tomatoes, onions, broccoli, carrots, pumpkin. Gonna plant another bunch of seeds and see if I can get some more out on the go and into the tiny greenhouse I've got. 

• Agree 1