DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

House lottery scammers moan about being called scammers

Frank Hovis

Couple can't sell overpriced £3.5m.

Decide to "give it away" for £25.

Per ticket; minimum of 200,000 tickets before prize "awarded" = £5m.

Moan about online "trolls" who can do basic maths calling them out on it.

Helen told GetReading: "One thing I would really like to get across is it's not a scam, it's not a con and if it was, you wouldn't be able to pay by credit card.

"We are just giving people the chance to win and live in a really nice house for £25. It's like the lottery but the odds are much better."

Kindhearted :D Helen added: "It's about giving someone who would never be able to afford a home like this a chance to own it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4787917/couple-offering-3-5million-home-for-25-in-spot-the-ball-comp-bombarded-with-abuse-from-trolls-who-claim-its-a-scam/

I like bit which says - if not enough tickets were sold the winner gets 75% of the proceeds.

So unless the generously donate their share it to charity they get 25%... And keep the house.

4 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I like bit which says - if not enough tickets were sold the winner gets 75% of the proceeds.

So unless the generously donate their share it to charity they get 25%... And keep the house.

Which may be the intent all along.

19 hours ago, Green Devil said:

14 hours ago, onlyme said:

Which may be the intent all along.

Or £5m for a house which is clearly overpriced at £3.5m; win win.

I'm not saying that it has never happened but I have not read any reports of anyone winning a house in such a way; I suspect they all end up in a similar 25% rake off.

Why work? Just keep putting your house up as a raffle prize with some ludicrous minimum sales level that means you get a decent cut each time.

36 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Or £5m for a house which is clearly overpriced at £3.5m; win win.

I'm not saying that it has never happened but I have not read any reports of anyone winning a house in such a way; I suspect they all end up in a similar 25% rake off.

Why work? Just keep putting your house up as a raffle prize with some ludicrous minimum sales level that means you get a decent cut each time.

I saw one recently on ToS that did actually sell the required tickets - the winner is selling the house. That one was much cheaper and came with a lordship though

How bloody original, another sodding spot the ball.

What an ugly house as well, that pvc wood is awful. Sorry to anyone who has it here - but if you want wood, get wood. Otherwise use something else :Old:

Mmm bit of a worry the uptick in these house lotteries seemed to be more like a spot the recession competition last time.

The real story is probably a cut in bank lending and help to buy support means a reduction in aspirational idiots who'll pay too much for houses.

21 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

How bloody original, another sodding spot the ball.

What an ugly house as well, that pvc wood is awful. Sorry to anyone who has it here - but if you want wood, get wood. Otherwise use something else :Old:

It's not too bad. I have to admit I've got some composite garden fencing that looks like wood as I was sick of it rotting away and looking shabby. It's never going to reach the nice weathered point but it won't look shabby either. Once the plants have grown up I reckon you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

That property smells of the typical husband and wife property developer thing where the wife's kept happy by being able to indulge her self-delusion she's got a flair for interior design and is going to add value to the property when they just produce a carbon copy of a magazine featured property, where the place looks totally unlived in and has the feel of a showroom, and the tens of thousands sunk into achieving the effect will never be seen again.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

It's not too bad. I have to admit I've got some composite garden fencing that looks like wood as I was sick of it rotting away and looking shabby. It's never going to reach the nice weathered point but it won't look shabby either. Once the plants have grown up I reckon you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

That property smells of the typical husband and wife property developer thing where the wife's kept happy by being able to indulge her self-delusion she's got a flair for interior design and is going to add value to the property when they just produce a carbon copy of a magazine featured property, where the place looks totally unlived in and has the feel of a showroom, and the tens of thousands sunk into achieving the effect will never be seen again.

On smaller houses and in smaller quanitites it isn't bad. At least it doesn't need repainting every 5-10 years. But on a "£3.5M" house, I'm sure the owners wouldn't worry about forking out a couple of £k to get it repainted every so often.

As for the interior design element, well it's just sparse isn't it. Hanging a few things on the wall would make a world of difference.

A lot of people think "minimal" simply means having nothing, but it's actually very difficult to get the proper effect. The other issue is that it throws up any flaws and imperfections easily - for example look at the capsule bath in the bathroom pic, it's about 20cm misaligned from the centre of the window.

Archived