• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Garden Bridge - 60M buys what?

My god, i thought this was about how scandalous it was to plan to spend 60 million on a bridge. It's been spent just in planning and thinking about it.  Feck me.  What a complete and utter waste of public money. 

I'm in two minds about the bridge. Half of me thinks it could actually be a really cool thing to have as a tourist attraction. The other half of me thinks London gets too much public money as it is.

6 minutes ago, Nosler said:

I'm in two minds about the bridge. Half of me thinks it could actually be a really cool thing to have as a tourist attraction. The other half of me thinks London gets too much public money as it is.

Already too many tourists we don't need to attract more

There are loads of places in the UK that need a real bridge, not this frivolous waste of money.

Yet again London dips its greedy snout into the public trough.

No wonder they all voted remain.

Tossers.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

My god, i thought this was about how scandalous it was to plan to spend 60 million on a bridge. It's been spent just in planning and thinking about it.  Feck me.  What a complete and utter waste of public money. 

It's amazing isn't it how much goes on reports and planning.

They had something like 60k to spend on initial stages of improving an area close to me. They spent that 60k on reports and assessments before they lifted a finger. Amazing really. 

4 hours ago, One percent said:

It's a very ambiguously written story and it isn't clear to me that £60m has actually been spent.  The bridge costs in total were initially estimated at £60m for which funding had been secured and it has now risen to £200m which is agreed to be too much; money will have been spent but I would guess several million rather than £60m with the balance to be returned.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

It's amazing isn't it how much goes on reports and planning.

They had something like 60k to spend on initial stages of improving an area close to me. They spent that 60k on reports and assessments before they lifted a finger. Amazing really. 

For a big construction project it is absolutely worth spending a decent wedge up front before you commit the real money because mistakes and unforseen hazards can cost you far more. £250k and up is not unusual so that £60k doesn't sound bad tbh. Depends on the scale of course.

It would be nice if they, y'know, perhaps decided that the money would be better spent FIXING THE FUCKING M6 WHICH HAS HAD 12 MILES OF FUCKING CONTRAFLOW ON IT FOR FOUR AND A HALF FUCKING YEARS RATHER THAN ON AN ALLOTMENT SPANNING THE FUCKING THAMES!!!

Just saying.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It would be nice if they, y'know, perhaps decided that the money would be better spent FIXING THE FUCKING M6 WHICH HAS HAD 12 MILES OF FUCKING CONTRAFLOW ON IT FOR FOUR AND A HALF FUCKING YEARS RATHER THAN ON AN ALLOTMENT SPANNING THE FUCKING THAMES!!!

Just saying.

I like that description. An allotment. xD  spanning the Thames. xD  not how the architects sold it I'm sure. 

58 minutes ago, One percent said:

I like that description. An allotment. xD  spanning the Thames. xD  not how the architects sold it I'm sure. 

:)

It's ridiculous though really. Half of the infrastructure in this country outside of the M25 is absolutely on its arse so the thought of spending 60m on a 'garden bridge' that nobody needs is frankly taking the piss.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

:)

It's ridiculous though really. Half of the infrastructure in this country outside of the M25 is absolutely on its arse so the thought of spending 60m on a 'garden bridge' that nobody needs is frankly taking the piss.

And within it.  Try getting a train in or out of Liverpool Street. Points, signals, leaves. It's an everyday occurrence. My spys on the inside tell me it's the scroats nicking the cabling every night. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

And within it.  Try getting a train in or out of Liverpool Street. Points, signals, leaves. It's an everyday occurrence. My spys on the inside tell me it's the scroats nicking the cabling every night. 

Then surely the 60m would be better spent on anti-scroat turrets lining the tracks. I'd be happy with that. :D

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Then surely the 60m would be better spent on anti-scroat turrets lining the tracks. I'd be happy with that. :D

Electric fences, just run them off the overhead lines. Simple 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Just saying.

Correct view IMO.

Here in Dumfries & Galloway many roads need attention. Dodge the severe potholes when driving!

WTF is wrong in this country. It's simple for me....public roads and buildings need ongoing maintenance but for years it all gets neglected while politicians focus on vanity projects.

We have one here with a new hospital....cant wait for the shit to hit the fan when it opens and various complaints gain momentum. But it's too late then......the money has already been wasted.

If I had 60M to splurge I'd buy up a derelict mining village somewhere and turn it into a real life Royston Vasey for like minded free thinking individuals.

Pub, shop, library, everything and lots of little 2 up 2 downs for you all to come and live in.

8 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Correct view IMO.

Here in Dumfries & Galloway many roads need attention. Dodge the severe potholes when driving!

WTF is wrong in this country. It's simple for me....public roads and buildings need ongoing maintenance but for years it all gets neglected while politicians focus on vanity projects.

We have one here with a new hospital....cant wait for the shit to hit the fan when it opens and various complaints gain momentum. But it's too late then......the money has already been wasted.

It's ridiculous. Some of the roads here look like they have been carpet bombed. Even more irritating is that they were supposedly 'repaired' about a year ago.

I don't have a problem with building 'nice things' but when you have roads like bombsites, railways that are borderline cattle transport and airports that reached capacity 20 years ago, it's probably time to regain a sense of perspective.

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It's ridiculous. Some of the roads here look like they have been carpet bombed. Even more irritating is that they were supposedly 'repaired' about a year ago.

I don't have a problem with building 'nice things' but when you have roads like bombsites, railways that are borderline cattle transport and airports that reached capacity 20 years ago, it's probably time to regain a sense of perspective.

Totally agree. 

IMO though only pressure from the plebs will wake the rulers up.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Electric fences, just run them off the overhead lines. Simple 

The police just need to do their job and arrest pikeys when they commit crimes, not use human rights as an excuse to do fuckall everyday. I used to work in the rail industry and of the thefts I knew about ~90% were suspected to be committed by irish travellers or roma gangs. The other 10% were suspected to be inside jobs. In the time I worked there no one was prosecuted and no stolen goods recovered.