• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Supermarket takeaway curry

Having watched a few of these:

I have developed a great urge to have a curry tomorrow; though I do not frequent curry houses or buy their takeaways owing to their hygiene standards, and if I went to Spoons on Thursday for their curry night I'd be there on my own so would rush it, as you do when eating a meal out on your own.

As I drive my diesel (boo hiss) car back from work tomorrow I will be passing pretty much every supermarket you care to name so wish to purchase one of those bagged curry meal for two things (it will go over two nights; I am no trencherman) and would like guidance as to which is preferable.

I have had Tesco - ok - and Aldi but that was a special AFAIK so they probably won't have any.

Oh, and whilst I am passing a Waitrose I'm not paying their prices.

So which should it be: Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons or Tesco?

Had one from Asda last week that was actually OK although I expect that pretty well all supermarket curries come from that big factory in Southall.

Add in the fact that autocorrect wants to change Asda to Asia - I think that's a sign.

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Don't do it, what you need is meat, onion, paste, chopped tomatoes a wok. Anything other than this is extras.

Oh, and ten minutes cooking time.

LN_699490_BP_11.jpg

Can also be done in a slow cooker a left to luxuriate for hours.

I want the trimmings too, poppadoms and that.

3 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Had one from Asda last week that was actually OK although I expect that pretty well all supermarket curries come from that big factory in Southall.

Add in the fact that autocorrect wants to change Asda to Asia - I think that's a sign.

Asda - possible.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

M&s. I love their chicken pocora sp?  

I don't think I have an M&S without a huge diversion - are they a supermarket?  I buy clothes there.

Just now, MrPin said:

Oddly enough I had great curries in India.:o

British invention though - we combined the southern vegetable curries with the northern mongol meat dishes.  And India is not on my commute.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Asda - possible.

I don't think I have an M&S without a huge diversion - are they a supermarket?  I buy clothes there.

British invention though - we combined the southern vegetable curries with the northern mongol meat dishes.  And India is not on my commute.

M&s is an ideal one-stop-shop. If you manage to spill the curry in your car on the way home, you can use the new clothes to mop it up. :)

I just had a Sainsbury madras - nice enough. I had to add some chilli sauce and some turmeric to it. I have a sinus headache at the moment and would love to report that this supposedly hot madras has opened my sinuses... but, alas, no.

I find Sainsbury the best of a so-so bunch. Then Marks and after that, well, sod them then. Tesco is just disgusting - how they sell a single one is beyond me. Was not impressed with Morrisons. They are all basically tomato sauce and very bland at that. Both Sainsbury and M&S used to each do a very good and nicely hot phall a few years back but they both stopped doing them around the same time - I suspect that they are petrified of people suing them for some reason.

I don't know why any of the supermarkets put different labels on their curries. They should be honest and just label them all as mild tomato sauce with bits of chicken, or beef or lamb and leave it at that.

Surprisingly, one curry that I do rate is the basic Aldi one - the one that comes in a pot with half curry and half rice for about £1.60. If you buy 2 or 3 different versions of this you can have a nice enough curry meal. Not brill but much better than Tesco IMPO.

So, in short, either Sainsburys or M&S. My main tip for buying these curries is to always slide the plastic carton out from underneath the cardboard cover and have a good look at the amount of meat you have in the pot. Some of them are basically plastic tubs of sauce with little meat in.

One last point, I find the M&S heating instructions to be a big underestimation that results in cold chicken even if I break up the cooking time and stir the chicken around. I thought that my microwave was going dodgy but I don't have the problem with other supermarket curries.

I can recommend the 2 prawn ones each at M&S and Sainsbury.

I can recommend the jafrezi at both M&S and Sainsbury.

I can recommend the madras if you want something a bit hot.

A guy on the deli counter in Sainsbury told me that the curry they sell on the deli counter is different to the one they sell on the shelves. I have my doubts as they look and taste the same.

OK, definitely one final point. If I buy one from the deli at my local Sainsbury if a guy is serving me then he fills the plastic carton with loads of chicken, prawns, etc, and some sauce. But I have noticed that the women put hardly any meat in and just fill it up with sauce. For some time I was convinced that the women were looking on the curry as their own personal stuff and not wanting to give it away... or that they just hated men... but I now wonder whether there is some preference by women for the sauce rather than the meat?

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Asda - possible.

M&s is an ideal one-stop-shop. If you manage to spill the curry in your car on the way home, you can use the new clothes to mop it up. :)

To add, if Tesco is on your route, their extra special range (don't know what it is called) has an excellent couple of curries, complete with rice 

I have spent the last week viewing curry receipes for instant pots - those pressurised cookers - on youtube. I meant to buy one of these instant pots last winter but forgot and am now contemplating it again.

There are lots of US receipes for curries online in this cookers - some of which look good - but if you dig around there are some great British receipes for making your own curry in one of these. The benefits are that you can make one to your tastes and, unlike conventional cooking of a curry, these instant pots, or king pro pots, reduce the cooking time considerably. Seriusly thinking of buying one.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

To add, if Tesco is on your route, their extra special range (don't know what it is called) has an excellent couple of curries, complete with rice 

True - I forgot about the Tesco extra special range - they do a very nice but, IMPO, pricey jalfrezi.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I have spent the last week viewing curry receipes for instant pots - those pressurised cookers - on youtube. I meant to buy one of these instant pots last winter but forgot and am now contemplating it again.

There are lots of US receipes for curries online in this cookers - some of which look good - but if you dig around there are some great British receipes for making your own curry in one of these. The benefits are that you can make one to your tastes and, unlike conventional cooking of a curry, these instant pots, or king pro pots, reduce the cooking time considerably. Seriusly thinking of buying one.

True - I forgot about the Tesco extra special range - they do a very nice but, IMPO, pricey jalfrezi.

They sometimes have a twofor offer so one can go in the freezer.  Agree with your analysis of the basic range from Tesco. Nasty stuff. 

I knew a chap many years aago whose dad had become seriously wealthy re owning a factory that supplied curries to numerous supermarkets. It was a bit sad really as the chap I knew was a really lovely person, and he clearly doted on his dad, but from listening to him - his dad had remarried and had kids by a second wife - I got the impression that he cared far more for his dad than his dad did for him.

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

ASDA's Hot Chicken Tikka Masala.

Not the regular one - the hot one.

A very tasty supermarket curry.

414905.jpg?v=20170514115009

XYY

This was mentioned on hotukdeals a week or two back and several people highly rated it. My nearest Asda is 8 miles away so I have never bought one.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

This was mentioned on hotukdeals a week or two back and several people highly rated it. My nearest Asda is 8 miles away so I have never bought one.

Best supermarket one I've tried.

Co-op Lamb Rogan Josh isn't bad either.

ASDA and Co-op are my closest shops though - along with Lidl and Aldi - so I've probably had many more of theirs than Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys and M&S.

M&S runny Scotch eggs - now they are to die for...!

IMG_5152.JPG

;)

XYY

17 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Best supermarket one I've tried.

Co-op Lamb Rogan Josh isn't bad either.

ASDA and Co-op are my closest shops though - along with Lidl and Aldi - so I've probably had many more of theirs than Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys and M&S.

M&S runny Scotch eggs - now they are to die for...!

IMG_5152.JPG

;)

XYY

Ive never seen a Scots man run ....

And neither have any of the teams who played Scotland for the World cup qualifiers....

56 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Having watched a few of these:

I have developed a great urge to have a curry tomorrow; though I do not frequent curry houses or buy their takeaways owing to their hygiene standards, and if I went to Spoons on Thursday for their curry night I'd be there on my own so would rush it, as you do when eating a meal out on your own.

As I drive my diesel (boo hiss) car back from work tomorrow I will be passing pretty much every supermarket you care to name so wish to purchase one of those bagged curry meal for two things (it will go over two nights; I am no trencherman) and would like guidance as to which is preferable.

I have had Tesco - ok - and Aldi but that was a special AFAIK so they probably won't have any.

Oh, and whilst I am passing a Waitrose I'm not paying their prices.

So which should it be: Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons or Tesco?

I dont lake highstreet Indians 0-- bangladeshi.

Im not sure whether theyve got worse, or Ive got better.

Anyhow, for whatever reason - various coloured tubs of sauce served with whatever, by slaver labour just does not do it for me anymore.

However - if you can find an Indian Indian,. Ive found these are great.