• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Internet shopping - Awesome

I went online and bought a second hand guide book to the Canary Islands for £3.35. The new price of the book is £12.99.

I just cant believe how good internet shopping is. I save myself a tenner and save myself the hassle of going down the town and looking for a guidebook.

The icing on the cake was that I found the book on Ebay, but then googled the retailer and bought it directly - Fuck Ebay and their near monopoly!

There's not a lot of point to this thread. I just wanted you all to know how awesome I am.

13 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I went online and bought a second hand guide book to the Canary Islands for £3.35. The new price of the book is £12.99.

I just cant believe how good internet shopping is. I save myself a tenner and save myself the hassle of going down the town and looking for a guidebook.

The icing on the cake was that I found the book on Ebay, but then googled the retailer and bought it directly - Fuck Ebay and their near monopoly!

There's not a lot of point to this thread. I just wanted you all to know how awesome I am.

When see how expensive real estate and hiring someone to hand you the book is in the UK, youll understand why ...

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

When see how expensive real estate and hiring someone to hand you the book is in the UK, youll understand why ...

+1

and business rates to pay before you sell a single product.  Small town centre shops pay top dollar, out of town vast warehouses pay little in comparison.  You would almost think government want to kill off the small business :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, montecristo said:

+1

and business rates to pay before you sell a single product.  Small town centre shops pay top dollar, out of town vast warehouses pay little in comparison.  You would almost think government want to kill off the small business :ph34r:

Factory A makes dongle B.

Customer wants to attach dongle A to his bike.

Your choices are:

1) Old way

Factory A sells dongel B to a distributor D, who stores the item in his warehouse, until retailer C places an order of 1000 dongle B.

Retailer C sends the dongles to Warehouse D which covers region E.

Shop F either notices or the tills notices that ts low on dongle B, so an order is dipathced to Shop F.

Shop F pays LL G a hefty rent and LA H a hefty rates.

Shop F also employs I, J, K, L, M, N on NMW, apart from I who's the manager.

Shop F also has cleaners, security guards, various services leccy, water, window cleaning.

A -> N are already taking their slice of the retail cost of dongle B.

2) New way

Customer places an order with Factory A for dongle B.

Factory A may have opened up a customer facing website.

The end

This will cost A about 100k/year - hosting, a few people to run the order system.

The overhead of D -> N is no longer needed.

Factory A is happy as they sell above their wholesale prices. They get cash before dongle B leaves the site - no more 30/60 days free credit and the hassle and risk.

Poof! Commericial real estate + most retailers are toast is toast.

Now if it retailer was able to know its customers and commision dongle B that would be another thing. But they dont. Retails is a dumb and as stupid as you get.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Your choices are:

1) Old way

Factory A sells dongel B to a distributor D, who stores the item in his warehouse, until retailer C places an order of 1000 dongle B.

Shop F either notices or the tills notices that ts low on dongle B, so an order is dipathced to Shop F.

Shop F also has cleaners, security guards, various services leccy, water, window cleaning.

2) New way

The end

This will cost A about 100k/year - hosting, a few people to run the order system.

Factory A is happy as they sell above their wholesale prices. They get cash before dongle B leaves the site - no more 30/60 days free credit and the hassle and risk.

Now if it retailer was able to know its customers and commision dongle B that would be another thing. But they dont. Retails is a dumb and as stupid as you get.

Great post.  That's it in a nutshell.  I'm surprise governments haven't tried a online tax yet.  

5 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I think the only thing I've bought online are flights. 

I like to browse flights in a showroom, then go home and order them cheaper from somewhere else online.

Edited by eight

3 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Really?  You must live very close to shops.  The thought of getting in the car, driving and paying for parking, dealing with queues etc just to pick up the simplest items fills me with dread.

2 minutes ago, eight said:

I like to browse flights in a showroom, then go home and order them cheaper from somewhere else online.

Ahh yes, small business town centre retail has become just a source of valuable but freely dispensed information

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Ahh yes, small business town centre retail has become just a source of valuable but freely dispensed information

Unless it is a product like hairdressing etc why would you bother opening a brick and motor shop.  If I was a shop owner I would open a website and sell your products direct at a small percentage above wholesale price.  You already have the wholesale accounts so the wouldn't take long to change over.  Overnight you would stop paying commercial tax, cut staff and all those small utility bills that add all add up.  Less water, less electric and less stress.

48 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Are you sure it's the same book? 

Your general point is of course valid, but I've bought a lot of travel books in this way* and you tend to find they are older editions, a vast majority of the information is useless. Even the latest tend to be out of touch with reality in many places. 

Edit : Should say I'm happy with this, but it depends what you want the book for. A guide to a historic sight, local landmarks etc etc, but I've found the accommodation and food recommendations to be next to useless.

Edited by gilf

5 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Unless it is a product like hairdressing etc why would you bother opening a brick and motor shop.  If I was a shop owner I would open a website and sell your products direct at a small percentage above wholesale price.  You already have the wholesale accounts so the wouldn't take long to change over.  Overnight you would stop paying commercial tax, cut staff and all those small utility bills that add all add up.  Less water, less electric and less stress.

I agree. Youtube videos, Ifixit etc have, to a large part, made the information that shopkeepers held, freely available. But for an example, you'd be surprised (or not) at the number of people that buy western knife sharpeners and use them on their trendy Japanese knives, however. Something you probably wouldn't end up doing if you visited a retail 'cookery' shop as a decent shopkeeper would ask "what style of knife do you have?'.

Edited by Hopeful

15 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I had to check the date of the OP to see if it wasn't accidentally reposted from 2003.

I think the only thing I haven't bought much cheaper online is....

Wait, there must be something... 

It'll come to me in a minute...

1 minute ago, gilf said:

Your general point is of course valid, but I've bought a lot of travel books in this way and you tend to find they are older editions, a vast majority of the information is useless. Even the latest tend to be out of touch with reality in many places. 

Yeah was thinking the same.  Likely to be a older edition.  Which caught me out badly once.  I bought a Camino De Santiago guide book before I walked it.

It was 2 years old.  I had picked out my accommodation to stay  in from the book.  After a 20mile walk I got to the hostel.  It was fucking closed for renovations.  Had to walk another 5 mile, I was completely wrecked.

Had a look at a more recent guidebook after and it had mention the hostel was closed for renovations.

8 minutes ago, gilf said:

Your general point is of course valid, but I've bought a lot of travel books in this way and you tend to find they are older editions, a vast majority of the information is useless. Even the latest tend to be out of touch with reality in many places. 

it's got the same front cover as the "new" ones on ebay...

I saw a shop yesterday full of Chinese tat with a "shop local" sign in the window.

It's a fine argument when your products are made in a local factory, supported by a domestic supply chain. But when all you're doing is importing containers it doesn't hold water.

I might as well but direct from China, which is easy enough to do these days.

Edited by SpectrumFX

27 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Your choices are:

1) Old way

2) New way

The end

I like feeding the birds. I went to pets at home and they're selling suet blocks for £1 (reduced from £2). I can go online and get ten of the suet blocks delivered for £7...

I know what you're all saying about the cost of shops etc. However surely at £1 (never mind £2) pets at home are charging too much? The weight of the ten suets blocks is 3kg, so postage must be a fair amount.

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I agree. Youtube videos, Ifixit etc have, to a large part, made the information that shopkeepers held, freely available. But for an example, you'd be surprised (or not) at the number of people that buy western knife sharpeners and use them on their trendy Japanese knives, however. Something you probably wouldn't end up doing if you visited a retail 'cookery' shop as a decent shopkeeper would ask "what style of knife do you have?'.

Rang a website the other day, got a man there on the phone giving me all sorts of advice.

10mins later ordered product. Job done.

Just now, Great Guy said:

it's got the same front cover as the "new" ones on ebay...

There's "new" as in never been used, and "new" as in latest edition. If you are buying a fiction book, could be old as the hills, but I'd say it's particularly relevant to travel guides.

The manufacturers are clever enough to not stick the date on them, you might get lucky. 

As I say depends on what you want it for, could be perfectly usable if it's just a guide to areas, what's on offer etc. But if it is older (say 2 years or more) and depending on area you can pretty much ignore any prices quoted for anything and expect half the businesses mentioned to be closed.

54 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Really?  You must live very close to shops.  The thought of getting in the car, driving and paying for parking, dealing with queues etc just to pick up the simplest items fills me with dread.

40 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I had to check the date of the OP to see if it wasn't accidentally reposted from 2003.

I think the only thing I haven't bought much cheaper online is....

Wait, there must be something... 

It'll come to me in a minute...

But WTF is it that you keep buying?? And what do you do with it all? Where do you put it? Unless it's food of course! :)

3 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

But WTF is it that you keep buying?? And what do you do with it all? Where do you put it? Unless it's food of course! :)

I do my bit for the economy, of course. Don't you?!

Food, clothes (when needed), books, music (I still like to buy CDs even though they get ripped to FLAC an then put in a cupboard forever!), but mostly stuff for the kids these days. 

I agree with the sentiment of less shopping, but when you decide to why would you ever choose to pay more and spend more time doing it in a physical shop, you know, with like loads of other people?! Madness.

I never go to physical shops (except supermarkets) and haven't for about 8 years. That said, I try to avoid Amazon and eBay as they are cunts, and use UK based stores who pay tax. Of course it isn't always possible to tell, but I have been known to Google who actually owns this website before buying.