• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

swiss_democracy_for_all

Praise for the So-Called BBC (short thread I expect!)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Libspero said:

Moral maze was good this evening on R4.  Really good debate and unusually well balanced and intelligent contributors (subject Russia and the poisoning / response etc).  

Think I might start regular downloads of these..

Moral Maze is a bit of a staple of mine. It can occasionally be pompous and up it's own arse but, for the most part, it's excellent debate from both sides of the coin. You do have to know your stuff as a witness as I've heard a few get utterly dismantled when their arguement doesn't stack up. Micheal Portillo is also very good value.

10 hours ago, Hopeful said:

The other downside is that Packham is a twat, almost as big a twat as Martin Hughes Games, and certainly as big a twat as Gordon Buchanan

There is no Attenborough replacement at the moment. The So-Called BBC NHU is in a predicament. We'll probably see something as as successful as Chris Evans in Top Gear.

There is something about Packham that sets off my bellend radar a mile away. He's absolutely no Attenborough, that's for sure. I think it was listening to him on Desert Island Discs that did it; I thought he came across as a complete weirdo to be honest. 

I think the difference between him and Attenborough is that, if you were on an expedition with Attenborough and you were about to be mauled by a hyena, DA would shoot it. Chris Packham would let it eat you and would be taking notes as it did.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Moral Maze is a bit of a staple of mine. It can occasionally be pompous and up it's own arse but, for the most part, it's excellent debate from both sides of the coin. You do have to know your stuff as a witness as I've heard a few get utterly dismantled when their arguement doesn't stack up. Micheal Portillo is also very good value.

There is something about Packham that sets off my bellend radar a mile away. He's absolutely no Attenborough, that's for sure. I think it was listening to him on Desert Island Discs that did it; I thought he came across as a complete weirdo to be honest. 

I think the difference between him and Attenborough is that, if you were on an expedition with Attenborough and you were about to be mauled by a hyena, DA would shoot it. Chris Packham would let it eat you and would be taking notes as it did.

This is more or less true by his own admission, someone posted a video about him a while back and I watched it - he's autistic and in his case it has left him with very little little fellow-feeling for other humans.

He has admirable knowledge but should probably be left out of the touchy-feely human interaction and TV presentation stuff, they'll soon be able to make robots that can simulate liking other people better than him.

14 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

This is more or less true by his own admission, someone posted a video about him a while back and I watched it - he's autistic and in his case it has left him with very little little fellow-feeling for other humans.

He has admirable knowledge but should probably be left out of the touchy-feely human interaction and TV presentation stuff, they'll soon be able to make robots that can simulate liking other people better than him.

That was @JackieO.  It pretty much explained for me why I've never liked him as every time I'd seen a show with him on it he was entirely self-centred and had no natural interaction with the other presenters or guests.  He came across as a very unfunny version of Alan Partridge.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

That was @JackieO.  It pretty much explained for me why I've never liked him as every time I'd seen a show with him on it he was entirely self-centred and had no natural interaction with the other presenters or guests.  He came across as a very unfunny version of Alan Partridge.

When he called field sports participants 'the nasty brigade' I realised he was part of that faux-country suburban set that doesn't really understand rural life. 

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

When he called field sports participants 'the nasty brigade' I realised he was part of that faux-country suburban set that doesn't really understand rural life. 

He prefers animals to people because they don't make every effort to avoid him.

Good news for DOSBODS.

We know that despite our BBC being so affordable and incredible value at less than 50p per day, many on DOSBODS claim not to have a TV Licence.

BBC have announced they are going to allow selected groups to watch the forthcoming Royal Wedding without the requirement to have a TV Licence.

BBC have waived the need for organisers to buy a licence allowing gatherings in town halls and community centres to join in celebration of the marriage of Prince Harry and American mixed race divorced woman actress Meghan Markle.

The move will also allow BBC Detector Van and TV Licence Enforcement Officers the day off work to watch.

Thanks BBC!

Well done BBC!

For once a positive story about different communities trying their best to integrate rather than keep themselves separated.

A fencing class set up to help women from Muslim and non-Muslim sections of the population get to know each other as people looking beyond the typical stereotypes that can set them apart. 

Events such as a curry cooking class to help non-Muslims create some of their favourite dishes, whilst at the same time integrate into the local Muslim community.  

Muslim Girls Fence are running events at schools and community projects right across the UK in various cities if you are interested.

BBC The One Show - 10 May 2018

" Today saw the news that hate crime has doubled in the past 5 years and more and more women are becoming victims. One group of women in Doncaster think they've got the answer.

" It's a sport that requires lightning speed reactions, agility and endurance. Fencing has often been regarded as a pastime of the privileged white upper classes. Until now. Here in Doncaster, a group of women claim the sport is helping bridge the divide between the Muslim and non-Muslim community.

Muslim Girls Fence started here 2 months ago and is already engaging with women who rarely stray outside their communities. This lady has been helping run sessions. " Why did you choose fencing ? "

" It's really good in the sense that women can wear the mask. You can wear whatever you want doing fencing, so we don't have barriers of having to wear skirts and tight clothing and the ladies can keep their Hijabs on. Yes a good hat that's a positive thing. "

" Despite parts of Doncaster having a large Muslim population it seems the different communities haven't mixed.  

For the fencers a suit of armour and a mask is a real leveller. "

" It's clear that as well as helping with integration real friendships are being formed.

It seems that for once people are being drawn together by the sword. " 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b0w54m/the-one-show-10052018

36 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

...set up to help women from Muslim and non-Muslim sections of the population get to know each other as people looking beyond the typical stereotypes

36 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Events such as a curry cooking class

So... events for Muslim and non-Muslim. Isn't that everyone? How do you ensure everyone turns up?

13 hours ago, mooncat69 said:

So... events for Muslim and non-Muslim. Isn't that everyone? How do you ensure everyone turns up?

Shown in the film, a visit to a part of town where Muslims faces are rarely seen, Intake, a Wellness Centre with over 600 members none of whom are Muslim.

They are able to meet Muslims, for perhaps, the first time, and ask questions.

" All new for the locals that come along. "

" How do you stop the rice from sticking together ? "

" What you do is, you cover it and you put it on really low heat. "

" It's opened my eyes a lot today talking to these Muslim ladies. It wasn't just about curry, it was about learning other cultures. "

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Shown in the film, a visit to a part of town where Muslims faces are rarely seen, Intake, a Wellness Centre with over 600 members none of whom are Muslim.

They are able to meet Muslims, for perhaps, the first time, and ask questions.

" All new for the locals that come along. "

" How do you stop the rice from sticking together ? "

" What you do is, you cover it and you put it on really low heat. "

" It's opened my eyes a lot today talking to these Muslim ladies. It wasn't just about curry, it was about learning other cultures. "

"how deep a hole do you need to dig so animals dont dig up the body?'

3 hours ago, whitevanman said:

Radio 4 just had Jordan Peterson on Start the Week. Only caught a bit of it but the bit I heard he was pissing on everyone from a great height...

...which was nice.

Heard a bit of it while stuck on the M6 this morning..

While the guests were all very respectful,  it still seemed to be about 6 on 1 trying to pick apart weaknesses in his book.

While he defended himself as well as you might expect,  it still had quite a whiff of witch hunt about it.

Sound perspective from our BBC News.

MI-5 boss Andrew Parker speech in Berlin underlines importance of UK working closely together with EU intelligence services.

Condemns Russian 'criminal thuggery'.

Apparently Mr Parker mentioned something about the number of thwarted terror attacks since 2013, the number so far this year, and who they were. I can't remember this bit as it was only briefly covered.

I'm pleased BBC concentrated on his Russia comnents, they sound horrid.

Well done BBC!

At times like these, when carrying a knife, recreational drug use, alcoholism, narcissism and aggressive behaviour is widely frowned upon, it's good to see BBC is portraying the positive aspects.

BBC celebrated rock n roll legend Keith Richards anecdote, being so angry that the promoter billed their concert in much larger letters for his name than the band, that he pulled out his trusty blade and stabbed a table to encourage the promoter to go away.

This promoter went on to become the 45th President of the USA.

BBC reported Mr Richards as saying this guy should be got rid of, which is a bit hurty, but it's all fine, it's Trump !

Carrying a knife and threatening people sounds awesome.

Just watched a documentary on BBC4 about the last man to walk on the moon, Gene Cernon.

Absolutely brilliant program. If the So-Called BBC just stuck to Factual documentaries like this and didn't try to push an opinion, an agenda, then I would sing thier priases daily. 

10 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Just watched a documentary on BBC4 about the last man to walk on the moon, Gene Cernon.

Absolutely brilliant program. If the So-Called BBC just stuck to Factual documentaries like this and didn't try to push an opinion, an agenda, then I would sing thier priases daily. 

You don't think that claiming man walked on the Moon is an agenda?

(runs away, hides)......

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:34, Bedrag Justesen said:

Well done BBC!

For once a positive story about different communities trying their best to integrate rather than keep themselves separated.

BBC The One Show - 10 May 2018

" Today saw the news that hate crime has doubled in the past 5 years and more and more women are becoming victims. One group of women in Doncaster think they've got the answer.

" It's a sport that requires lightning speed reactions, agility and endurance. Fencing has often been regarded as a pastime of the privileged white upper classes. Until now. Here in Doncaster, a group of women claim the sport is helping bridge the divide between the Muslim and non-Muslim community.

Muslim Girls Fence started here 2 months ago and is already engaging with women who rarely stray outside their communities. This lady has been helping run sessions. " Why did you choose fencing ? "

" It's really good in the sense that women can wear the mask. You can wear whatever you want doing fencing, so we don't have barriers of having to wear skirts and tight clothing and the ladies can keep their Hijabs on. Yes a good hat that's a positive thing. "

" Despite parts of Doncaster having a large Muslim population it seems the different communities haven't mixed.  

For the fencers a suit of armour and a mask is a real leveller. "

" It's clear that as well as helping with integration real friendships are being formed.

I wish I could see things as you do . Mind you , I don't watch the one show.

On 22/03/2018 at 10:49, Austin Allegro said:

On that issue, Packham was correct. I'd go as far as saying that bloodsports enthusiasts are plain nasty fuckers. Got no time for them. 

19 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I wish I could see things as you do . Mind you , I don't watch the one show.

I always watch the one show. And the one show I always watch, is Holby City.

3 minutes ago, eight said:

That must surely radicalise you. The poor NHS, no resources to deal with the insurmountable problems that the saints and martyrs working for them have to deal with on a daily basis. 

12 minutes ago, eight said:

You must be exceptionally well informed. Like myself.

I was able to explain what a sub-arachnoid hemorrhage is to the women at work when R.E.M. drummer Bill Berry fell ill during their tour.

All thanks to watching Holby, Casualty ....and The One Show.

I'm often asked by the women for an opinion on their lady parts. I tell them I'm not a Gynaecologist but I'll have a really good look.

BBC is amazing.

25 minutes ago, Charles Carter said:

On that issue, Packham was correct. I'd go as far as saying that bloodsports enthusiasts are plain nasty fuckers. Got no time for them. 

That's as may be. But as David Bellamy pointed out years back, a lot of wildlife habitat that would probably be farmland is maintained in Southern England for the purposes of these strange people who like shooting tame pheasants. So it's complicated and best not to let emotions get in the way.

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2018 at 11:15, whitevanman said:

Oh dear, back to fat acceptance on Woman's Hour. Fat people are so brave.xD

Even Mrs H. thinks that program is completely off it's head.

Their treatment of guests, both male and female, if they don't toe the 'oppression' line is pretty abysmal. One female panellist, a high ranking member of the armed forces if memory serves me correctly, politely invited the Woman's Hour hosts to fuck off when they questioned her honesty after she revealed that (shock, horror) she'd never felt harassed in her career as a female.

Oh, this is the good things thread, isn't it?

:ph34r:

Edited by Sgt Hartman