• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Council Tax

The council sent a threatening letter today demanding over £500 in arrears ASAP.

Thing is we've paid via standing order the requisite amount each month of this tax year.

Has the council tax been hugely increased with no consultation or notification?

Or have our council fucked up...

Just now, JackieO said:

The council sent a threatening letter today demanding over £500 in arrears ASAP.

Thing is we've paid via standing order the requisite amount each month of this tax year.

My money is on fuck up.

49 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Does the letter state how long the arrears have been building up? CT is normally adjusted annually, when was the last time the standing order was adjusted? Have you moved house without updating your payment? Have you vacated a property without informing the council? There are loads of reasons why a jobsworth could send you a demand.

9 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Does the letter state how long the arrears have been building up? CT is normally adjusted annually, when was the last time the standing order was adjusted? Have you moved house without updating your payment? Have you vacated a property without informing the council? There are loads of reasons why a jobsworth could send you a demand.

If not fuck up then that would be my second guess; standing order rather than DD and it's fallen short for the last few years.

Having worked at a Council my money's on f**k up.  

Doubt it's a rise.  The cap on Council Tax rises was only removed last year.

Just give them a call they'll likely be happy to talk to somebody cooperative, they usually have to deal with more unsavoury types.

i had a demand a few years ago.  I'd bought a house and told them the completion date; they checked with the estate agent who told them the earlier provisional date and they just changed it without coming back to me giving me a c. £100 increase.

When I phoned up they wouldn't take my word for it and I had to scan in the solictor's letter before they would cancel the increase.