• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The Americanisation of Europe

Recommended Posts

Turnip or pumpkin lantern?  I made turnip lanterns as a kid and then did it with my own kids. 

Far superior to pumpkins as you can score the flesh and the light shines through. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/44QxKbSg1Rf0n4QxtZsp5Rn/finally-an-answer-to-that-age-old-question-should-you-carve-a-pumpkin-like-an-american-or-keep-it-traditional-with-a-neep?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=pumpkinorturnip&intc_linkname=bbcscotland_ent_vidclip

turnip lanterns are also not American so win hands down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Pumpkins give me the creeps. The very idea of eating something that is pumpkin flavoured, let alone something like pumpkin soup, turns my stomach. It is up there with peanut butter for me - yuck!

Not meant to eat it, it's to turn into a lantern. 

Oh and another bloody thing, we did turnip lanterns for Guy Fawkes night not the end of bloody October. What's that about?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not meant to eat it, it's to turn into a lantern. 

Oh and another bloody thing, we did turnip lanterns for Guy Fawkes night not the end of bloody October. What's that about?  

I was in Morrisons and Sainsbury... and Marks... today and they all had loads of pumpkin flavoured cakes, biscuits, ice cream, soups, ready made meals, etc. They go nuts at this time of the year. On Wed it will all be on sale. Yuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

We used to always use turnips to make our Halloween lanterns.

Our dressing up outfits were made at home. Nowadays the kids all seem to have a bought ready made one.

I’ve noticed a marked increase in houses with window decorations and outdoor decorations this year.

Those costumes are a fire hazard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

We used to always use turnips to make our Halloween lanterns.

Our dressing up outfits were made at home. Nowadays the kids all seem to have a bought ready made one.

I’ve noticed a marked increase in houses with window decorations and outdoor decorations this year.

Did you do the lanterns for Halloween or Guy Fawkes?

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was in Morrisons and Sainsbury... and Marks... today and they all had loads of pumpkin flavoured cakes, biscuits, ice cream, soups, ready made meals, etc. They go nuts at this time of the year. On Wed it will all be on sale. Yuck.

Without going all cunning plan, delia has a very good pumpkin and sweet corn soup recipe. I tend to use butternut squash though. Easier to come by.  Unless it is this time of year of course.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, One percent said:

Turnip or pumpkin lantern?  I made turnip lanterns as a kid and then did it with my own kids. 

Far superior to pumpkins as you can score the flesh and the light shines through. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/44QxKbSg1Rf0n4QxtZsp5Rn/finally-an-answer-to-that-age-old-question-should-you-carve-a-pumpkin-like-an-american-or-keep-it-traditional-with-a-neep?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=pumpkinorturnip&intc_linkname=bbcscotland_ent_vidclip

turnip lanterns are also not American so win hands down

Actually I am pretty sure that turnip is a swede.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Did you do the lanterns for Halloween or Guy Fawkes?

Halloween. It wasn’t called trick or treat either back then we used to say we were going out guising.

I thing perhaps Halloween was more a tradition in Scotland whereas Guy Fawkes tended to be more celebrated in England.

Nowadays both traditions are just another marketing fest and both have an increasing amount of tat on offer for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

Halloween. It wasn’t called trick or treat either back then we used to say we were going out guising.

I thing perhaps Halloween was more a tradition in Scotland whereas Guy Fawkes tended to be more celebrated in England.

Nowadays both traditions are just another marketing fest and both have an increasing amount of tat on offer for sale.

Not heard it called that. Yep, must be a difference as we really didn't do trick or treat but went all out for guy Fawkes. 

Agree. It has gone just like every other festival or event. The marketing people have turned it into something dreadful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Did you do the lanterns for Halloween or Guy Fawkes?

Without going all cunning plan, delia has a very good pumpkin and sweet corn soup recipe. I tend to use butternut squash though. Easier to come by.  Unless it is this time of year of course.  

Please don't put me in the same sentence as Delia.

I have feelings you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Not heard it called that. Yep, must be a difference as we really didn't do trick or treat but went all out for guy Fawkes. 

Agree. It has gone just like every other festival or event. The marketing people have turned it into something dreadful. 

Mischievous night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Please don't put me in the same sentence as Delia.

I have feelings you know.

Apologies cunning. I know that you like your cooking. :)

Just now, man o' the year said:

Mischievous night?

God, yes, that brings back memories. Mischief night. Not heard it called that for years n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

Apologies cunning. I know that you like your cooking. :)

Thank you. Floyd is acceptable, but never Delia. And if you mention Mary Berry you will be blocked.

Back on topic. I HATE trick or treat. American begging bollocks and a chance for thugs to terrorise a neighbourhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Thank you. Floyd is acceptable, but never Delia. And if you mention Mary Berry you will be blocked.

Back on topic. I HATE trick or treat. American begging bollocks and a chance for thugs to terrorise a neighbourhood.

Actually, you will find that the topic is about turnip lanterns  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Actually, you will find that the topic is about turnip lanterns  :P

Ah. Ok. As you were then.

Fortunately, as a wealthy family, we didn't need vegetables for illumination. We had uncle Norbert's Toc-H lamp for the long winter nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

100%

And you had to do tell a joke or sing a song to get a “treat”.

The smell of burning turnip as the candle went down is something you will not forget.

As for Guy Fawkes, persecuting Catholics was a year round activity, not just once a year.

xD

Very true. Not the most pleasant of smells!

The treats we got were mainly apples and oranges. Very few sweets were handed out. Nowadays it seems to be sweets and not fruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

xD

Very true. Not the most pleasant of smells!

The treats we got were mainly apples and oranges. Very few sweets were handed out. Nowadays it seems to be sweets and not fruit.

..and peanuts in their shells!

Can you imagine that now. You’d be locked up for attempted assault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.