• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Wierd BBC DV article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41803342

'Kay left a violent relationship at the end of last year, and initially moved into a refuge on a short-term basis.

When her stay came to an end, Bromley Council eventually agreed to house her as a single person.

But when her two children came to live with her, she was told that housing would not be made available to them as a family, leading to three months of her and the children sofa-surfing with friends and family'

So where did she leave the kids FFS?

Surely if her partner was violent she'd report him to the police?

' Sophia - not her real name - fled her home after being in an abusive relationship, travelling to London, where she hoped a council would offer her assistance. '

Why in fuck sake travel to London expecting to be housed?

' "I was scared. I was just scared. I couldn't see myself living with 14 men, with shared facilities - toilet, bathroom, kitchen. It's not safe," she says. '

So its OK for single men to live in a hostel but not single women?

Whenever I read a BBC article. My overriding thought is what's the angle? What is the underlying narrative that they expect the plebs to swallow this time?  

I cant help it. 

My guess on this is that there is not enough social housing (to house all the newly arrived gimmigrants)

so, two things

• Be prepared for a massive house building programme on the green belt.  Suck it up nimbys 
  • there is going to be a massive tax hike in the forthcoming budget to pay for it. Suck it up all you idiot workers and be prepared to work harder for less. 

Cynical?  Me?  Of course not. 

My take on it is that there are insufficient same sex hostel places for victims of domestic violence (which is the case) so this is flagging that there is a problem and that the existing local needs based temporary accommodation provision doesn't work for someone who actively wants to live out of their home area so there needs to be a policy exception.  Which makes sense.

The situation is also much worse for male victims as whilst provision and support for women is poor for men it is near non-existent.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My take on it is that there are insufficient same sex hostel places for victims of domestic violence (which is the case) so this is flagging that there is a problem and that the existing local needs based temporary accommodation provision doesn't work for someone who actively wants to live out of their home area so there needs to be a policy exception.  Which makes sense.

The situation is also much worse for male victims as whilst provision and support for women is poor for men it is near non-existent.

Build more male-only hostels. Build more female-only hostels. If only that was enough. 

14 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

But what about the trans DV sufferers?

They can go in a purpose built HosTent which is neither one thing or the other.

14 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

But what about the trans DV sufferers?

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oh lordie! o.O

On a serious note it is the vast amounts of costs and complexity that get laded on by equality and health and safety regulations that means that nothing gets done and things get closed.

Three examples:

Alastair Morton who when he became head of the British Railways Board in 1999 after a successful business career saw that there was a big problem with overcrowding on trains.  So he proposed the obvious quick fix - longer trains and longer platforms to receive them.  Great; but the Health and Safety civil servants said that not only did the platform extensions at, say, Paddington have to be built to current H&S requirements - fine - but the whole platform would have to be rebuilt on this basis which would cost an absolute fortune and they didn't have it.  So nothing was done.

Result: platforms still not lengthened twenty years on and overcrowded trains into Paddinton still only having eight carriages.

A disabled man in Redruth in c. 2010 pursued a campaign to make his local bus stop be upgraded to meet disability legislation; the financially-struggling bus company did so but it made an unprofitable route even more unprofitable so they closed down the route.  Now there's a pyrrhic victory.

Childrens' play areas: regular cases of play equipment not meeting the latest H&S criteria so it just gets removed and not replaced.

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

So you get a free hostel place in London simply by claiming to be a victim of domestic violence. Then once your kids turn up, the council is obliged to find more suitable accommodation for a family. I can see the need to relocate and be re-homed for genuine victims, but at the same time this is so advantageous and open to abuse that you will NEVER have enough provision.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

So you get a free hostel place in London simply by claiming to be a victim of domestic violence. Then once your kids turn up, the council is obliged to find more suitable accommodation for a family. I can see the need to relocate and be re-homed for genuine victims, but at the same time this is so advantageous and open to abuse that you will NEVER have enough provision.

DV hostels have kids staying there; it's a supportive environment where the women help each other.  I don't think you'd wnat to stay there and listen to the stories and join in the communal activities if you weren't a victim.

I agree with how do you verify a claim; I knew people who worked with, amongst others, heroin addicts.  These addicts were incredibly good liars who woudl plausibly make up any story of woe to wheedle some money out of you; they would take every domestic tragedy they had heard and pretend that it had happened to them until (unless you were expecting it) you had tears in your eyes and were pushing money at them.