• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

I'm quite good with money. However sometimes I have a compulsion to buy stuff I don't really need. Last year I bought a set of folding ladders and haven't used them yet :( I knew I didn't need them but it was like an itch I had to scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relatively good, but the bug does strike occasionally. I have some right old shite masquerading as Doctor Who collectables. Thankfully my inner tight git reasserts itself quite quickly. I don't think I've spend anything more than £50 without giving it some thought, although plenty of electronic computer type crap which I've regretted spending money on in the past which cost a lot more than that.

Felt virtuous this week - pausing and not buying a super cheap but imperfect computer.  Bargain though it was, I knew I didn't need it and would not get even a small amount of value out of it. Computers really are a weakness because of the power and access to knowledge they represent. 

Edited by SCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SCC said:

Relatively good, but the bug does strike occasionally. I have some right old shite masquerading as Doctor Who collectables. Thankfully my inner tight git reasserts itself quite quickly. I don't think I've spend anything more than £50 without giving it some thought, although plenty of electronic computer type crap which I've regretted spending money on in the past which cost a lot more than that.

Felt virtuous this week - pausing and not buying a super cheap but imperfect computer.  Bargain though it was, I knew I didn't need it and would not get even a small amount of value out of it. Computers really are a weakness because of the power and access to knowledge they represent. 

And enabling you to post on here. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to make whim purchases but as the years have passed I've changed. Two house moves and moving or getting rid of accumulated crap made me change.

Nowadays only needs are purchased and at the best price. Wants get mulled over....usually I decide not to buy but an odd thing gets purchased because it will be used and enhance my life in some way...at least for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Suzuki GSXR1000L6 MotoGP was a whim purchase. I only went to have a look (on a whim) by the end of the day I had signed away 6 years of my life at £165 a month (I'll try and clear sooner). It's a keeper!!

Edited by longtomsilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

My Suzuki GSXR1000L6 MotoGP was a whim purchase. I only went to have a look (on a whim) by the end of the day I had signed away 7 years of my life at £165 a month (I'll try and clear sooner). It's a keeper!!

Not a wasted purchase though if it's a keeper.

Im envious, wish I could afford a motorbike...always wanted one ☝️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The XYY Man said:

The penis size reduction pills I bought on a whim turned-out to be a waste of money...

 

XYY

Aye, whatever.

In your dreams needle-dick...

 

Mrs XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

The penis size reduction pills I bought on a whim turned-out to be a waste of money...

 

XYY

Did they come from China? Those Jamaican ones don't work!

Waste money wisely LongTom! Sounds like you have!O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I used to make whim purchases but as the years have passed I've changed. Two house moves and moving or getting rid of accumulated crap made me change.

Nowadays only needs are purchased and at the best price. Wants get mulled over....usually I decide not to buy but an odd thing gets purchased because it will be used and enhance my life in some way...at least for a while.

I'm along those lines, but possibly more extreme in that I have an aversion to possessions in general and am delighted when I manage to empty another drawer.

Spare rooms become an exercise in emptying not filling.

Whatever it is I don't want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm along those lines, but possibly more extreme in that I have an aversion to possessions in general and am delighted when I manage to empty another drawer.

Spare rooms become an exercise in emptying not filling.

Whatever it is I don't want it.

Yes I can relate your approach. I find getting rid of unused/unuseful stuff liberating.

I still have stuff to get rid of but most of it is in the garage. Mostly the house has only things I use in it. No pictures or anything on the walls now. Minimal furniture etc.

My ideal would be a residential caravan to live in with little storage space. Pity the site fees are extortionate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Even though I'm trying to thin down my guitar collection, I still keep buying more. Some I don't even play very often. It just distracts me from improving my playing. 

Yes, you don't need many. The third favourite one never gets used!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm along those lines, but possibly more extreme in that I have an aversion to possessions in general and am delighted when I manage to empty another drawer.

Spare rooms become an exercise in emptying not filling.

Whatever it is I don't want it.

I am a mere acolyte on the Path of Frank! I have much tat!:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Yes I can relate your approach. I find getting rid of unused/unuseful stuff liberating.

I still have stuff to get rid of but most of it is in the garage. Mostly the house has only things I use in it. No pictures or anything on the walls now. Minimal furniture etc.

My ideal would be a residential caravan to live in with little storage space. Pity the site fees are extortionate!

My uncle lives (mostly) on one. Caravans about £12k, annual fees about £4k.  He has a separate postal address (requirement as theoretically you can't live there full time but several do) which I think means no council tax, so that nets down the site fees considerably.

I've visited and the £4k gets you an immaculate and very quiet site.

That as a base and a camper van such as you have sounds a decent and very affordable option.

The single width is tbh too small for me but there are double widths on the site with higher ceilings which would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrPin said:

I am a mere acolyte on the Path of Frank! I have much tat!:o

Not advisable, cause of much friction between myself and my ex that I didn't actually want to buy anything for which I had to find somewhere to.put it.

Fine with paying for holidays, hotels, meals, but things - nah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Not advisable, cause of much friction between myself and my ex that I didn't actually want to buy anything for which I had to find somewhere to.put it.

Fine with paying for holidays, hotels, meals, but things - nah.

I'm tripping over stuff here! I see your wisdom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm along those lines, but possibly more extreme in that I have an aversion to possessions in general and am delighted when I manage to empty another drawer.

Spare rooms become an exercise in emptying not filling.

Whatever it is I don't want it.

I am with you Frank. I do have possessions but none bought in the last 5 years. My least favourite question is 'what do you want for your birthday' since I have no answer.

Having said that, I have been looking at deep fat dryers for the last two years. I may have to invest soon.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not advisable, cause of much friction between myself and my ex that I didn't actually want to buy anything for which I had to find somewhere to.put it.

Fine with paying for holidays, hotels, meals, but things - nah.

Yet again I agree. Memories are worth the expense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I am with you Frank. I do have possessions but none bought in the last 5 years. My least favourite question is 'what do you want for your birthday' since I have no answer.

Having said that, I have been looking at deep fat dryers for the last two years. I may have to invest soon.

I have birthdays sorted now. Nothing off anyone although my daughter sent me a card with a keepable photo on it and two bags of ground coffee and a bar of dark chocolate. Don't mind presents if I can use them 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By JackieO
      Like this before and after

      The before makeup doesn't show up the really bad skin and shaved eyebrows btw.
      Thoughts?
    • By MrPin
      I usually have butter, but am OK with margarine. I bought Satan's spread recently, which was labelled with loads of bogus health benefits. Within two weeks it had all separated into fat and sewage, which would not look out of place in a 40 year old Land Rover transaxle. What was it?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.