• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Destruction/feminization of pubs

Recommended Posts

The first three are wonderful.

I spent quite a lot of my youth in a medieval pub in Coventry called 'the Old Windmill'

I was in there a few weeks ago and can happily announce that it hasn't changed a bit.

Old+Windmill%252C+Coventry+2014.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gibbon said:

What the fuck is it with people taking over nice old pubs which haven't been changed for hundreds of years and John Lewis'ing them into some chic pastel coloured shit hole. How isn't this a crime?

Pubs I try and find:

59fa25b46ebdf_download(2).jpeg.e9a0b9601612f5c573dde28d788355fc.jpeg

59fa25b3797b0_download(3).jpeg.a9ec4e5e7e3f37c050887c812263c1b6.jpeg

1454749903460.jpg.57b27dec7283be6294ebaad58bfe287b.jpg

The abomination most of them have been turned into:

 59fa251357bea_download(1).thumb.jpeg.7345457f3b7ec2fb8b3999b500367cbc.jpeg

They have been doing this for decades.

Back in the 1980s I found one of my favourite pubs had been given a horrendous makeover that included installing some sort of tinkling fountain in the bar. To be honest even the roughest basic boozer with formica top tables and sawdust on the floor to soak up the beer, piss, blood and puke is preferable to the twee abomination in your last photo. It should be an offence under the trade descriptions act to describe it as a pub since it is really a cafe come restaurant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

The first three are wonderful.

I spent quite a lot of my youth in a medieval pub in Coventry called 'the Old Windmill'

I was in there a few weeks ago and can happily announce that it hasn't changed a bit.

Will check it out next time I'm in the area cheers.

13 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

They have been doing this for decades.

Back in the 1980s I found one of my favourite pubs had been given a horrendous makeover that included installing some sort of tinkling fountain in the bar. To be honest even the roughest basic boozer with formica top tables and sawdust on the floor to soak up the beer, piss, blood and puke is preferable to the twee abomination in your last photo. It should be an offence under the trade descriptions act to describe it as a pub since it is really a cafe come restaurant 

Agreed, I'd much rather spend an evening in a pub stuck in the 60s with peeling woodchip wallpaper and the aroma of stale beer and piss than one of these clinical John Lewis jobs.

Edited by gibbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up in a 300 year old pub - 350 now I suppose. The lounge bar looked very much like picture number one. It was done out last year and looks very similar to picture 4. It's a shame, but the thing is, in between, it shut down for a while, and was bought by a developer who wanted to turn it into "apartments". Planning permission was turned down so he sold it on. I'm happier to know it's back doing what it's supposed to, than I am sad at the change in décor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have a blend of the two personally. The first 3 photos don't appeal to people under 50, particularly the first one,  it looks like my grandads house in the 1990s. And the old men huddled round the bar would all stare as i walked in, which is offputting. 

 

 

Here's a good example of a decent pub to me: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186276-d1546388-i287030193-The_Standard_Inn-Rye_East_Sussex_England.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't like photo 1, the carpet probably stinks. 2 and 3 are ok. I don't mind 4 as a restaurant, although non matching chairs annoy me, not because they should be identical but you get a mix of hardback uncomfortable and nice upholstered ones, so someone at the table is going to be uncomfortable all the time unless you try and swap chairs with another table. 4 isn't a place to pop in and have a drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Don't like photo 1, the carpet probably stinks. 2 and 3 are ok. I don't mind 4 as a restaurant, although non matching chairs annoy me, not because they should be identical but you get a mix of hardback uncomfortable and nice upholstered ones, so someone at the table is going to be uncomfortable all the time unless you try and swap chairs with another table. 4 isn't a place to pop in and have a drink.

Number one looks like a throwback to the 70s. The others are ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Must be the day before benefits day.

Workers can't afford the time or money to go-to the pub.

If anyone else is into "benefits porn" type stuff on Channel 5 they may remember the episode of "On Benefits: Costa Del Dole" with this dole-ite lady and her trip to the pub. A 100% genuine loon - worth watching!

33969-59007635cf02c-170653.jpeg?i=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

This happened to one of my favourite pubs called The Trout in Wolvercote, Oxford.

It was perfect. A beautiful 400 year old pub right on the river where you could sit on the bank and watch the fish in the river and feed the Swans. There was nowhere better to be on a summers day. The interior was equally as sublime, worn stone flooring, a polished oak bar and roaring fires, it was literally, the perfect pub.

Then some new owners took it over and to everyone's surprise, it shut down for a year for 'refurb'. There was a bit of consternation at this but the place was such a goldmine that we didn't think they would go too off piste.

Then it reopened and I have never been so horrified by a makeover...no, makeover is too nice a word. Fucking outright vandalism is more appropriate. They had gutted it and replaced all of the lovely old bars and flooring and the pubs unique features with identikit IKEA crap. It wasn't awful - if you hadn't seen what was there before, just utterly forgettable and singularly uninspiring. A total null of a place.

We sat for a overpriced, pissy beer and listened as people came through the door for a look:

"My God.."

"What have they done!"

"What the fuck!?"

"Oh, Jesus Christ, it's awful."

"How were they allowed to do this?!"

Etc.

One new addition was a 'guestbook' at the door which very quickly filled up with similar sentiments to the above and was gone by the second week. The Trout is still there, I ducked in for a look about a year ago. It's shit, and the final conceit is that they have stuck pictures of Morse up all over the wall, as if Morse would be seen dead drinking in such a place.

If you ever duck in for a pint, you'll probably find it inoffensive and dull, but at one time, The Trout was one of the best pubs in the country, a pub where you could go to forget what an faddish, careless time it is that we live in. Now it just stands as testament to that very fact.

Humph.

:Old:

Playing devil's advocate but perhaps the new owners saw the books and realised it wasn't as popular or indeed as profitable as was thought, and needed a "new direction". I'm not advocating ripping out original features but these old dark boozers that stink faintly of piss just aren't popular outside of the CAMRA crowd.

To be frank in many cases a pub can either evolve into a "gastropub" in the predictable and overdone Farrow & Ball style, or it can be bought by a shady "pwoperty developah" who gives a few backhanders to Councillors and irrevocably gets converted into housing. It's a shame but I know which I'd prefer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Playing devil's advocate but perhaps the new owners saw the books and realised it wasn't as popular or indeed as profitable as was thought, and needed a "new direction". I'm not advocating ripping out original features but these old dark boozers that stink faintly of piss just aren't popular outside of the CAMRA crowd.

To be frank in many cases a pub can either evolve into a "gastropub" in the predictable and overdone Farrow & Ball style, or it can be bought by a shady "pwoperty developah" who gives a few backhanders to Councillors and irrevocably gets converted into housing. It's a shame but I know which I'd prefer!

Yeah, appreciate that some pubs were pretty crap. I worked in one that was dying on it's arse, the new owners 'gastropubbed' it and did a very good job. That said, the interior was naff 70's so gutting it did it some good.

I'm also not a CAMRA fanatic (though I'm grateful for what they've done in getting pubs back on track) and I've been in plenty of boozers that look at any beardless person under the age of thirty like they should just fuck off back to Yates where they belong. 

The Trout wasn't CAMRA-ish and was turning over a good few quid, impossible not to really, it was never a quiet place. It was old but light and airy, you'd have liked it! I'll see if I can find some old pics on the net.

What they did to it was the equivalent of turning say Beatrix Potter's house into a Burger King. Financially profitable most likely but culturally crass, unnecessary and a complete one way street. As soon as the John Lewis/Burger King fad dies off, you'll never get the old one back, the one that was there for hundreds of years and that really pisses me off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billfunk said:

I sometimes get kicked out of pubs for being rowdy and/or drunk.

"Of course I'm drunk you've been serving me alcohol for the past 5 hours. What the hell is this?", I tend to say.

I get the feeling that the powers that be really don't want drunk men freely associating and talking shite about sport and politics. Very misandrist in my book. They would rather we all sit in our shoeboxes watching Bake-off or suchlike bollocks. Very emasculating. How do any of these young men learn anything about politics without going to a pub?

It is the highest function of man to get shit-faced and talk complete nonsense. Denying that is literally - LITERALLY - as bad as the holocaust.

I am afraid it's the red tape again, the government don't let landlords serve "visibly drunk" patrons so they eject them. Stupid really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billfunk said:

I sometimes get kicked out of pubs for being rowdy and/or drunk.

"Of course I'm drunk you've been serving me alcohol for the past 5 hours. What the hell is this?", I tend to say.

I get the feeling that the powers that be really don't want drunk men freely associating and talking shite about sport and politics. Very misandrist in my book. They would rather we all sit in our shoeboxes watching Bake-off or suchlike bollocks. Very emasculating. How do any of these young men learn anything about politics without going to a pub?

It is the highest function of man to get shit-faced and talk complete nonsense. Denying that is literally - LITERALLY - as bad as the holocaust.

If only DOSBODS had a licence to serve ale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billfunk said:

I sometimes get kicked out of pubs for being rowdy and/or drunk.

"Of course I'm drunk you've been serving me alcohol for the past 5 hours. What the hell is this?", I tend to say.

I get the feeling that the powers that be really don't want drunk men freely associating and talking shite about sport and politics. Very misandrist in my book. They would rather we all sit in our shoeboxes watching Bake-off or suchlike bollocks. Very emasculating. How do any of these young men learn anything about politics without going to a pub?

It is the highest function of man to get shit-faced and talk complete nonsense. Denying that is literally - LITERALLY - as bad as the holocaust.

Tremendous. :Old:

I've been either kicked out of or refused service in maybe 30-40 pubs in Edinburgh. Only barred from maybe 4-5 though. Never any violence or anything. Just being ridiculously wasted.

The bans were only down to partaking in other such things you are not legally allowed to. Oh well. Even they lapse after they forget in a few months. 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.