• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Chocolate Bars & The Fall Of Modern Civilisation

As it is unquestioningly the case the decline of modern civilisation can be attributed to when they changed Marathon to Snickers, this thread can be an historical record, and also a huge nostalgia trip, of how either the discontinuation, or general fucking about with, of other chocolate bars and confectionery items has contributed to this collapse.

TBH I have had to pretty much cut all refined sugar from my diet so I'm not sure why I'm torturing myself like this but I also feel the reinstatement of this, food of the gods, to the shelves of newsagents would rapidly assist in halting the decline:

For anyone too young (probably no-one) it's gooey mousse centre encased in a lattice of chocolate strands 

raw-1188561644.jpg

Edited by SNACR

10 minutes ago, SNACR said:

For anyone too young (probably no-one) it's gooey mousse centre encased in a lattice of chocolate strands 

raw-1188561644.jpg

Yes! These were made at the old Roundtree Mackintosh/Caleys factory in Norwich City Centre in the late 1980s or early 1990s. My mum, dad and I got a tour of the factory one weekend, invited by their friend who worked there. Felt quite sick by the end of the day. She got a massive redundancy payout when the factory closed down in the mid or late 1990s. There is now a tacky shopping mall on the site.

I think 'Secret' bars made it to the mid 1990s. I quite liked them.

14 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

They've fucked with it all, so nothing's what it used to be. :(

I used to like a Spira

Maybe washed down with a can of Quattro.

xD

I do remember Quattro having a massive advertising campaign. I definitely tried it but can't really remember the taste was it a bit like Lilt? - which also seems to have disappeared, I guess the Lilt man's retired.

I always preferred Spira's to Twirls. The weird thing was, unless someone has inside Cadburys knowledge, a Spira was just a stick of Dairy Milk with air in but was much tastier. I wonder if the hollowness meant as greater surface area of chocolate contacting you taste buds or if it was just some Wonka style witchcraft.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I do remember Quattro having a massive advertising campaign. I definitely tried it but can't really remember the taste was it a bit like Lilt? - which also seems to have disappeared, I guess the Lilt man's retired.

I always preferred Spira's to Twirls. The weird thing was, unless someone has inside Cadburys knowledge, a Spira was just a stick of Dairy Milk with air in but was much tastier. I wonder if the hollowness meant as greater surface area of chocolate contacting you taste buds or if it was just some Wonka style witchcraft.

Quattro was some sort of orange pop I think. I must have been just the right age to absorb all of the marketing splurge.

xD

23 minutes ago, Kilham said:

The rot really set in when Walnut whips ceased being made from a chocolate helix piped onto a base and instead became just a moulded shell.

The M&S ones are certainly a travesty compared to originals.

Whenever I was in Llandudno I used there was a shop that sold giant walnut whips I used to buy. The shop was more a bakers than a confectioners and they did look a bit better than they actually were - the centre was probably only less than a third mousse with the bottom padded out with chocolate sponge. Just had a google and there is evidence of their continued existence but like everything they seem to have got much smaller.

I'm sure my mum only bought me Texan bars to help me lose my milk teeth.

Toffo's were good as well, especially those in the blue wrapper, fruit ones I think.

Anybody else remember Pacers?

6 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

I'm sure my mum only bought me Texan bars to help me lose my milk teeth.

Toffo's were good as well, especially those in the blue wrapper, fruit ones I think.

Anybody else remember Pacers?

Pacers were chewy mints, as such Chewy quite liked them.

Were they all white or a stripey mixture of grass green and white?

2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Quattro was some sort of orange pop I think. I must have been just the right age to absorb all of the marketing splurge.

xD

My memory is pouring Quattro into a glass and discovering it was green. 

5 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Not my cup of tea but the advert is great

You can still get those and they're about the same as they've always been.

Don't mind them but do like a bit of proper Turkish Delight, I'd be fucking useless if you took me on an adventure to Narnia.

Bugger. Christmas.

Mrs Cunning loves a dark chocolate orange. I have been known to visit many shops (which in itself brings me out in hives) trying to find one.

Mother loves pontefract cakes. Bloody hard to find in Surrey.

Any website suggestions?

BTW, anyone remember mint cracknell? Sort of mint flavoured asbestos in chocolate.

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

BTW, anyone remember mint cracknell? Sort of mint flavoured asbestos in chocolate.

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten about that as well, can see the green glass like strands of it now and the chocolate coating.