• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dave Bloke

Personal Electric Heating

Recommended Posts

I remember back at Uni, and the terrible winter of 85 I think, we had snow on the ground a couple of meters deep and the drains froze in the road outside. We had to trudge to university on snowshoes made out of plyboard. Hard to believe in globally warmed Britain today.

To keep warm in our student digs we discovered that a small 100 watt electric bulb heater positioned under a chair in which you were wrapped in a duvet or blanket worked well. The air temperature may have been hovering around 5C but you were mostly warm.

It seems this idea still has some traction

https://richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp

although with today's battery tech surely an electric blanket suit would be the best option, feet, trousers, body could all be on separate controllers, maybe regulated via a smartphone app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are quite a few of these designed for motorcyclists. Usually powered by a usb phone charger type battery. Most are over  £100. You can buy the pads and sew them into whatever you want. Aliexpress.com sell them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If memory serves, the great freeze was the 81/82 winter.

The last of the big ones in my part of the world.

Wearable tech is the way forward to solve a lot of the problems humans face as they live beyond the normal hospitable zones.

I am thinking the alien in Independence Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

If memory serves, the great freeze was the 81/82 winter.

The last of the big ones in my part of the world.

Wearable tech is the way forward to solve a lot of the problems humans face as they live beyond the normal hospitable zones.

I am thinking the alien in Independence Day.

Trouble is, it needs to be stab proof and van proof as well as keeping you warm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I bought a load of those USB pads and installed them into the insoles of a pair of shoes to make heated shoes. I was combining them with the milwaukee cordless drill powered jacket as a power source stepped down to 5v for the USB. The results were roughly as follows

-Firstly the drill battery is bulky, the small M12 one wouldn't be too bad but lacks battery life - although I was aspiring to also powering a selection of tools and gadgets from the ensemble so possibly ambitious. I was working on trying to stitch in a load of ipad batteries to the lining but lost interest and also with vaping li-on batteries causing severe burns in pockets I think it would be a concern with them all over your back particularly if you slipped over.

-secondly the wires are a faff down the trouser legs and the exposed wires between trouser leg and shoe looks massively terroristy. Also a huge faff to disconnect yourself etc. Was working on stitching wires into trousers and quick release magnetic connectors and also hiding the wires in some woven material that looks like part of the clothing where they are exposed. I think with magnets you could get it so they virtually located themselves with a bit of jiggling as you put the ensemble on. I was also imaging some induction mat to go under the desk to charge it all whilst you're sat there but would then need a belt mounted power pack that would probably look twattish as you wouldn't want to sit in your coat, charging in the car would obviously be no problem or charging the coat hung up.

-thirdly and the main reason I lost interest was they made my feet really quite sweaty and they stank at the end of the day.

-fourthly I remembered I'm an adult man in a seemingly responsible job not the fucking Goonies and thought I'd probably ruined enough clothes.

That has got to be post of the week inspector gadget...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Malthus said:

It costs "from as little as one pence" to run. Well, so does a Formula 1 team - provided you only run it for .03 of a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

tbh, I think it's wasteful to heat the whole house when it's cold. In winter I rarely have my heating above 15 degrees. When I'm watching telly etc I just snuggle under a rug :)

Try living with a Brazilian woman and presenting that argument!

Fortunately Swiss apartments are built better than UK ones so heating doesn't cost the earth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, eight said:

It costs "from as little as one pence" to run. Well, so does a Formula 1 team - provided you only run it for .03 of a second.

Well, yes, but they really will cost from about 1p per night (if you put it on for about an hour around getting-in-time) to about 8p per night for the coldest nights (if you leave it on low all night long)

Electric blankets are amazing.  We can lower the house temperature by a couple of degrees without anyone complaining (and 13yr old girls do complain).  If everyone did this it would save tonnes of CO2 each year.

From the point of view of the OP, I do think there are options to do little things like this, but without going all the way to connecting your clothing to the mains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

tbh, I think it's wasteful to heat the whole house when it's cold. In winter I rarely have my heating above 15 degrees. When I'm watching telly etc I just snuggle under a rug :)

It depends how efficient your house is. You can make some small and inexpensive changes like caulking gaps by windows, buying heat reflectors for behind the rads, making sure the attic insulation is nice and thick and other such things, for little outlay. I did all that + got secondary glazing (granted this was about £2k) and now my house rarely drops below 20C. Heating has come on for about 90 minutes per 24 hour period on average for the past week. This wouldn't be that amazing for a new build but my house is Elizabethan.

All these old gits that constantly whine their old cottage is an icebox in winter must be doing something wrong. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this thread. Gonna try the electric throw and a infrared reptile heater in a swinging arm this winter. What wattage is going to be best for the reptile heater? 50w/75w/100w?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dgul said:

Well, yes, but they really will cost from about 1p per night (if you put it on for about an hour around getting-in-time) to about 8p per night for the coldest nights (if you leave it on low all night long)

Electric blankets are amazing.  We can lower the house temperature by a couple of degrees without anyone complaining (and 13yr old girls do complain).  If everyone did this it would save tonnes of CO2 each year.

From the point of view of the OP, I do think there are options to do little things like this, but without going all the way to connecting your clothing to the mains.

Are you sure it's not because 'Mr Dgul say after I make bang bang there be mawage and Bwitish passport'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

If memory serves, the great freeze was the 81/82 winter.

The last of the big ones in my part of the world.

Wearable tech is the way forward to solve a lot of the problems humans face as they live beyond the normal hospitable zones.

I am thinking the alien in Independence Day.

I don't know where you were at that time, but it certainly was in Gloucestershire. Down to around - 25c. Think the - 27c record was set or equalled in that spell. Maybe in Shropshire? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

It depends how efficient your house is. You can make some small and inexpensive changes like caulking gaps by windows, buying heat reflectors for behind the rads, making sure the attic insulation is nice and thick and other such things, for little outlay. I did all that + got secondary glazing (granted this was about £2k) and now my house rarely drops below 20C. Heating has come on for about 90 minutes per 24 hour period on average for the past week. This wouldn't be that amazing for a new build but my house is Elizabethan.

All these old gits that constantly whine their old cottage is an icebox in winter must be doing something wrong. :ph34r:

Secondary glazing? More money than sense!

I put bubble wrap on my single glazed listed windows. As a side benefit it adds a touch of class to my block of flats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Secondary glazing? More money than sense!

I put bubble wrap on my single glazed listed windows. As a side benefit it adds a touch of class to my block of flats.

Especially if you apply it to the outside...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

I don't know where you were at that time, but it certainly was in Gloucestershire. Down to around - 25c.

Not far away - Somerset. It was the year the sea froze at Weston-super-Mud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Malthus said:

They don't need one - the Winter fuel allowance is paying for their mojitos in Malaga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I went to university I insisted my parents fork out the extra for me to have a room in halls with my own bathroom (I am an OCD hygiene obsessive). It turned out that the heaters in the rooms were powered from our own personal PAYG electricity meter. I was already burning enough electricity having a 20 minute hot shower every day so that wasn't happening. I also had fairly long hair at the time...

...So I used to get into bed and turn my hairdryer on under the sheets. You only needed about 60 seconds to get pretty toasty. I tried it again the other day as my wife was at her mum's and I was a bit chilly when I got into bed, as we'd not turned the house heating on (we have now). I was lovely and warm after 4 or 5 30 second blasts. Obviously this time the hairdryer was my wife's, I haven't had any need for one for quite a while now :( .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.