• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

BBC + Rickets. Again

Here we go, from Wikipedia. 

Cases have been reported in Britain in recent years[16] of rickets in children of many social backgrounds caused by insufficient production in the body of vitamin D because the sun's ultraviolet light was not reaching the skin due to use of strong sunblock, too much "covering up" in sunlight, or not getting out into the sun. Other cases have been reported among the children of Muslim mothers, who cover their entire body and face, leading to a maternal shortage of vitamin D;[17][18] and people with darker skins need more sunlight to maintain vitamin D levels.

Shame.  Though I don't see the usual BBC spin on this story; more a genuine bit of informing people as I had no idea that you could die from rickets.  I thought it just weakened your bones.

Telford mother's baby son died after developing rickets

A mother whose baby son died after developing rickets has expressed her shock at the diagnosis.

Beverley Thahane had taken her child Noah to the GP and hospital on numerous occasions because he was ill, but he was not diagnosed until just before his death in January 2017.

Rickets, which affects bone development and in some cases the heart and brain, was thought to be largely eradicated.

But a new two-year study has found at least 50 children a year are getting the disease.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Shame.  Though I don't see the usual BBC spin on this story; more a genuine bit of informing people as I had no idea that you could die from rickets.  I thought it just weakened your bones.

Yes + No.

It was informative. But they fail to come out with the main reason - non White living in northern climes.

They just skirt around the causes ratehr than coming out with the main factor.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sad as it is for the kid, the problem here is that black and brown people struggle to get enough Vit D from the UK's weedy sunlight

Exactly right.

It's not natural for people with dark skin to live so far north, we're on a similar latitude to Moscow ffs.

Fucking BBC 9_9

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

Exactly right.

It's not natural for people with dark skin to live so far north, we're on a similar latitude to Moscow ffs.

Fucking BBC 9_9

Um, whilst I agree that skin colour is related and suited to latitude that wasn't actually my post Jackie!

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Um, whilst I agree that skin colour is related and suited to latitude that wasn't actually my post Jackie!

Uh oh I was supposed to be quoting spygirl. Sorry about that. 🙂

Scientists think that the first wave of Humans who moved into Europe towards the end of one ice age actually died out because of their darker skins and the resulting lack of Vit D.

Skeletons have been found, IIRC alongside the banks of the Danube, which clearly showing degenerative signs associated with D deficiency.

The pelvises of the females had also narrowed at the birth canal - another D deficiency sign - which would have made it very difficult if not impossible to to give birth.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Scientists think that the first wave of Humans who moved into Europe towards the end of one ice age actually died out because of their darker skins and the resulting lack of Vit D.

Skeletons have been found, IIRC alongside the banks of the Danube, which clearly showing degenerative signs associated with D deficiency.

The pelvises of the females had also narrowed at the birth canal - another D deficiency sign - which would have made it very difficult if not impossible to to give birth.

Physical anthropology is a Cinderella discipline and the evidence is mostly non-existent.

For all they know the Neanderthal genes may well be the dominant ones in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Physical anthropology is a Cinderella discipline and the evidence is mostly non-existent.

For all they know the Neanderthal genes may well be the dominant ones in Europe.

Maybe so. That does not negate Homo Sapien skeletons clearly found with degenerative illnesses such as TB and greatly narrowed birth canals. It makes absolute sense that Homo Sapiens moving into Europe from sunnier climes at such a time would have suffered massive D deficiency.

This is not an argument about Neanderthals versus Homo Sapiens.

:)

Just put vitamin D in milk already.

Problem solved for those at risk, and the rest of us get a vitamin D kick that'll most likely do more good than harm.

It's so easy, that it's bordering on criminal that it's not being done.

28 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Maybe so. That does not negate Homo Sapien skeletons clearly found with degenerative illnesses such as TB and greatly narrowed birth canals. It makes absolute sense that Homo Sapiens moving into Europe from sunnier climes at such a time would have suffered massive D deficiency.

This is not an argument about Neanderthals versus Homo Sapiens.

:)

Agreed!

I was seeing some elements of the "Out of Africa" theory of human evolution there and I can't resist stepping in to point out that it is just a theory and may have no more supporting it than differential preservation of the evidence.

There was a similar fallacy in earlier archaeology where it was believed that in the Neolithic and Bronze ages that people lived up on the hills because that's where their monuments / forts were with the theory that the valley bottoms were uninhabitable owing to dense woodland and boggy conditions.

As techniques progressed it was found to be nonsense and the only reason evidence hadn't been found in the valleys was because of silting and subsequent use of this best land.

I'm putting my inner pedant back in its box now.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yep.

Lack of Vit D weakens bones which led to pelvis's cracking during child birth.

Again, the rise in rickets is caused by the rise of balck/brown people living in the UK.

The rise in in skin cancer in Oz is down to the the number of whites living there.

the So-Called BBC make a fuss about the 2nd one but dont mention the 1st one.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

Just put vitamin D in milk already.

Problem solved for those at risk, and the rest of us get a vitamin D kick that'll most likely do more good than harm.

It's so easy, that it's bordering on criminal that it's not being done.

Well, again the lack of Vit D is along skin colour.

Stuff like lacing corn flakes with iron and folic acid are aimed at defiencies that affect all people.

Putting Vit D in milk would only be required for brown/black. The number of brown/blasck people in the UK has only been a recent 0- last 40-50 years thing.

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Stuff like lacing corn flakes with iron and folic acid are aimed at defiencies that affect all people.

Putting Vit D in milk would only be required for brown/black. The number of brown/blasck people in the UK has only been a recent 0- last 40-50 years thing.

Most white people don't have enough vitamin D either - even the palest of the pale can't make it between October and April and we're all being told to cover ourselves in sunscreen the rest of the year. We're unlikely to reach the point of rickets but that doesn't mean we're not deficient.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Agreed!

I was seeing some elements of the "Out of Africa" theory of human evolution there and I can't resist stepping in to point out that it is just a theory and may have no more supporting it than differential preservation of the evidence.

There was a similar fallacy in earlier archaeology where it was believed that in the Neolithic and Bronze ages that people lived up on the hills because that's where their monuments / forts were with the theory that the valley bottoms were uninhabitable owing to dense woodland and boggy conditions.

As techniques progressed it was found to be nonsense and the only reason evidence hadn't been found in the valleys was because of silting and subsequent use of this best land.

I'm putting my inner pedant back in its box now.

There does appear to be an underlying assumption that our ancestors were stupid.

42 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Aren't half the people on here taking vitamin D in herculean quantities?

xD

Deficiencies have been linked to other health issues e.g. it may be a factor in triggering MS. So it's not just rickets.

30 minutes ago, BLOOLOO said:

There does appear to be an underlying assumption that our ancestors were stupid.

Yep.

The worst example I've seen was some academic deciding to try to replicate some of the Inca block shaping; which he was obviously going to be great at because he was clever and had read lots of books about it.

Whereas the Inca craftsmen would have spent generations perfecting their skill and passing it to their descendants who then marginally improved it each generation.

The stone the academic was working on looked barely altered after a whole day on it.

35 minutes ago, BLOOLOO said:

The article below references the use of advanced memory techniques in illiterate populations. We don't know the half of it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/aeon.co/amp/ideas/this-ancient-mnemonic-technique-builds-a-palace-of-memory

19 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Aren't half the people on here taking vitamin D in herculean quantities?

xD

Deficiencies have been linked to other health issues e.g. it may be a factor in triggering MS. So it's not just rickets.

Im on vitd.

More to stop me feeling down from nov to march.