• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
OurDayWillCome

Battle of Passchendaele

10th November 1917 - the conclusion of the battle of Passchendaele. Reflection and remeberence of such a horrific battle will hopefully be a big news story on its 100th anniversary, but will that be the case? Recently the So-Called BBC have been running stories on the Russian Revolution - will they run a story on such a horrendous battle in our history or has white European history become taboo? I really hope I am wrong on this one but I suspect the suffering of our forefathers/mothers is not relevant in a multicultural society.

Considering the 'Great' war was in full-swing 100 years ago there has been very little media interest in such an important event in European 'hideously white' history.

Brexit innit 😁

Edited by OurDayWillCome

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I find this ignoring of this milestone incredibly sad.  Also the way in which the wearing of a poppy has been twisted. 

What this should mark is our respect and thanks to those who laid down their lives do that we could live in a free and democratic society. 

The way things are playing out, I'm beginning to arrive at the view that their sacrifice was wasted. 

I am really surprised that there is no programming/re-runs of  Passchehndaele that I know of considering the importance of educating the future generations.

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I am really surprised that there is no programming/re-runs of  Passchehndaele that I know of considering the importance of educating the future generations.

I'm not sure the establishment are keen on educating the next generation. Especially about the hard sacrifices made by ordinary working people. Its wracist to celebrate the country's achievements. o.O

Just now, One percent said:

I'm not sure the establishment are keen on educating the next generation. Especially about the hard sacrifices made by ordinary working people. Its wracist to celebrate the country's achievements. o.O

It was 'white privelage' to die in the trenches.

Surely We Have Perished. Third Battle of Ypres

Weep at the quality of what the So-Called BBC once produced compared to today.

Edmund Blundens memoirs should be required reading for all school  children as he was at both the Battle of the Somme and Passchendaele. Though he escaped the war without a scratch he saw and experienced terrible things that scarred him mentally for life. Nightmares of the conflict haunted him to his death in 1974.

Edited by Virgil Caine

8 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

10th November 1917 - the conclusion of the battle of Passchendaele. Reflection and remeberence of such a horrific battle will hopefully be a big news story on its 100th anniversary, but will that be the case? Recently the So-Called BBC have been running stories on the Russian Revolution - will they run a story on such a horrendous battle in our history or has white European history become taboo? I really hope I am wrong on this one but I suspect the suffering of our forefathers/mothers is not relevant in a multicultural society.

Muslims from the Empire who fought in Passchendaele Id guess.

I thought there was a big thing about Pashendale (and the mud) earlier this year?

Pretty sure there was lots of media coverage maybe it was commemorating the start of the battle not the end? 

yes here we go BBC 31st july 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40669719

The "courage and bravery" of those who fought in one of the bloodiest battles of World War One has been remembered, 100 years after it began.

Prince Charles, Prince William and Prime Minister Theresa May were among those who paid tribute to soldiers who fought at Passchendaele, in Belgium.

Some 4,000 relatives attended the ceremony at Tyne Cot cemetery, Ypres.

In the three months of fighting, half a million Allied and German soldiers were killed, wounded or went missing. 

Prince Charles addressed the service, saying: "We remember it not only for the rain that fell, the mud that weighed down the living and swallowed the dead, but also for the courage and bravery of the men who fought here."

The conflict - officially known as the Third Battle of Ypres - was fought from 31 July 1917 until November that year.

Sorry :ph34r:

Edited by WorkingPoor

15 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

I thought there was a big thing about Pashendale (and the mud) earlier this year?

Pretty sure there was lots of media coverage maybe it was commemorating the start of the battle not the end? 

The "courage and bravery" of those who fought in one of the bloodiest battles of World War One has been remembered, 100 years after it began.

Prince Charles, Prince William and Prime Minister Theresa May were among those who paid tribute to soldiers who fought at Passchendaele, in Belgium.

In the three months of fighting, half a million Allied and German soldiers were killed, wounded or went missing. 

Prince Charles addressed the service, saying: "We remember it not only for the rain that fell, the mud that weighed down the living and swallowed the dead, but also for the courage and bravery of the men who fought here."

The conflict - officially known as the Third Battle of Ypres - was fought from 31 July 1917 until November that year.

Sorry 

Aw come on. Don't spoil a good rant with facts. xD

the So-Called BBC is still shite. 

1 hour ago, WorkingPoor said:

Sorry 

Thread killer! 😂 

I'm glad it was commemorated - missed it at the time. Personally I feel it would have been better to commemorate the end of the battle as that would have given the sale of poppies a boost.

34 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've added a poppy to the site. Don't know if this will be popular, I resent the "poppy mafia" trying to force everyone to wear one and shaming those who don't wear them from September onwards, but it's only 3 days away now.

Well done on putting it up.

I entirely agree about freedom of choice. I had always viewed it as a WWI remembrance so after the last British combatant, Harry Patch, died I ceased to wear it.

A few years on though I read one story too many of people being anti the poppy and misrepresenting it and started buying one again as a symbol of solidarity with our armed forces.

Just now, Panther said:

My family are historic foes of the British Empire, two of my father's uncles were interned in the Guantanamo of their day, so I never wear one, but don't mind it at all

The Maze?

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I've added a poppy to the site. Don't know if this will be popular, I resent the "poppy mafia" trying to force everyone to wear one and shaming those who don't wear them from September onwards, but it's only 3 days away now.

I was in the gym the other day and Jeremy Kyle was on the TV there. An older gentleman came over and started flicking through the channels, and stopped at "Yesterday" which was running some Passchendale documentaries. Doubt that it was left on for long once we left But they are definitely on TV, just not on the major channels.

I can't see a poppy.  Where is it?  Mind, my powers of observation are sometimes lacking.