• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko2010

Site speed - is Dosbods slow?

DOSBODS page load speed  

76 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. DOSBODS page load speed

• The site is loading fast/as normal
    • The site is fast, but not quite as fast as a few weeks ago.
    • The site is much slower
    • I don't know and just want to vote for something.

As I have mentioned I am on TalkTalk and they are SHIT. The site seems really slow for me at home, but it could just be TalkTalk. I am using some third-party metrics and they don't look much different to normal but can you all please let me know and/or vote in the poll, if the site is slower than a few weeks ago?

I haven't noticed any difference in the last few weeks. I'm also on Talktalk and its generally been fine for me and that's since 2006. although we a fault on our landline when we noticed we couldn't get a dialling tone and our daughter couldn't phone us. We reported it on Saturday and it should be fixed within 72 hours, we're told.

Broadband is fine.

17 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

@MrPin I notice you have voted for the site being much slower than before - are you on TalkTalk too? :ph34r:

I think it's because people embed too many videos.

No such speed problems up here in the North.

On a scale of one to ten - where one is shite, and ten is orgasmic - I'm giving DOSBODs' speed at least seven-point-five out of ten Diet Pepsi points...!

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Is it just me or has the site been slower the past few days for anyone else? :ph34r:

Haven't noticed it. Apart from on a few occasions where the page loading appears to hang briefly when the URL is requested.

Which could be a delay while it reads from the database.

Or simply internet latency at this end.

I've made some changes today (at about 11am)  to the handling of static content. It might create some bugs particularly with things like notifications and PMs. I can't find any but if you do please report them here.

Hopefully the site is faster, it appears to be for me.

On 15/06/2018 at 11:19, spunko2010 said:

I've made some changes today (at about 11am)  to the handling of static content. It might create some bugs particularly with things like notifications and PMs. I can't find any but if you do please report them here.

Appearances can be fucking deceptive...

;)

spunko.thumb.jpg.e0db74a94b750e3777fd104e304ff7d3.jpg

XYY

On 15/06/2018 at 11:19, spunko2010 said:

Never had a problem before or now with the speed of this site. However I can confirm I don't have a 3rd rate PC, browser or internet connection :)

I have not noticed any lag issues all day. It seems to be, for me, that the homepage can sometimes take ages to load on mobile only. It doesn't seem to be the connection as I've tried it at multiple locations. Must be something to do with my mobile browser (samsung browser).

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I have not noticed any lag issues all day. It seems to be, for me, that the homepage can sometimes take ages to load on mobile only. It doesn't seem to be the connection as I've tried it at multiple locations. Must be something to do with my mobile browser (samsung browser).

I think it probably does load more slowly on a mobile. Android 7, Edge browser.

Just now and again there is a noticeable delay loading the home page. By which I mean a pause between the request and the page starting to come back, when it does, it then snaps back quite quickly.

That would, for me, be in the evening when I'm not on my PC.

But then that could simply be when the site is busiest - so not actually to do with the device - and I would guess that the home page is the one that has to run the most database queries to build.

53 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I think it probably does load more slowly on a mobile. Android 7, Edge browser.

Just now and again there is a noticeable delay loading the home page. By which I mean a pause between the request and the page starting to come back, when it does, it then snaps back quite quickly.

That would, for me, be in the evening when I'm not on my PC.

But then that could simply be when the site is busiest - so not actually to do with the device - and I would guess that the home page is the one that has to run the most database queries to build.

It might be an idea to add some sort of lazy loading system then, for images at least on the homepage, or a CDN. I'll run some more tests in a few days (when I can be bovvered).

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It might be an idea to add some sort of lazy loading system then, for images at least on the homepage, or a CDN. I'll run some more tests in a few days (when I can be bovvered).

I remember way back in the day when we hosted a forum site for a car club that frequently had > 200 online at once. It was pitiably slow.

Because just about every single thing on the home page was executing a separate SQL query to load it.

For example - load categories. Loop categories. Get forums. Loop forums. Get most recent thread. Get number of views (separately). Get avatar (separately). Loop forums. Loop categories. 

Get top ten posts. For each, loop them. Get avatar. Get post count.

Get statistics - most online etc. Separate SQL query for each. No indexes on tables. The overhead was huge.

.. and so on. We rewrote it for them to minimise the number of SQL queries and to cache most of it in memory and it flew along afterwards.

I'd imagine this thing is probably written a bit better than that was out-of-the-box, though :)

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I remember way back in the day when we hosted a forum site for a car club that frequently had > 200 online at once. It was pitiably slow.

Because just about every single thing on the home page was executing a separate SQL query to load it.

For example - load categories. Loop categories. Get forums. Loop forums. Get most recent thread. Get number of views (separately). Get avatar (separately). Loop forums. Loop categories. 

Get top ten posts. For each, loop them. Get avatar. Get post count.

Get statistics - most online etc. Separate SQL query for each. No indexes on tables. The overhead was huge.

.. and so on. We rewrote it for them to minimise the number of SQL queries and to cache most of it in memory and it flew along afterwards.

I'd imagine this thing is probably written a bit better than that was out-of-the-box, though :)

I added memcache so it could cache a lot of it. The problem is that the software doesn't recognise MariaDB so memcached won't ever work properly until they fix that bug.