• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko2010

Site speed - is Dosbods slow?

DOSBODS page load speed  

76 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. DOSBODS page load speed

    • The site is loading fast/as normal
      56
    • The site is fast, but not quite as fast as a few weeks ago.
      4
    • The site is much slower
      2
    • I don't know and just want to vote for something.
      14


Recommended Posts

As I have mentioned I am on TalkTalk and they are SHIT. The site seems really slow for me at home, but it could just be TalkTalk. I am using some third-party metrics and they don't look much different to normal but can you all please let me know and/or vote in the poll, if the site is slower than a few weeks ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't noticed any difference in the last few weeks. I'm also on Talktalk and its generally been fine for me and that's since 2006. although we a fault on our landline when we noticed we couldn't get a dialling tone and our daughter couldn't phone us. We reported it on Saturday and it should be fixed within 72 hours, we're told.

Broadband is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

@MrPin I notice you have voted for the site being much slower than before - are you on TalkTalk too? :ph34r:

I think it's because people embed too many videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No such speed problems up here in the North.

On a scale of one to ten - where one is shite, and ten is orgasmic - I'm giving DOSBODs' speed at least seven-point-five out of ten Diet Pepsi points...!

 

XYY

 

Edited by The XYY Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Is it just me or has the site been slower the past few days for anyone else? :ph34r:

Haven't noticed it. Apart from on a few occasions where the page loading appears to hang briefly when the URL is requested.

Which could be a delay while it reads from the database.

Or simply internet latency at this end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made some changes today (at about 11am)  to the handling of static content. It might create some bugs particularly with things like notifications and PMs. I can't find any but if you do please report them here.

Hopefully the site is faster, it appears to be for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2018 at 11:19, spunko2010 said:

I've made some changes today (at about 11am)  to the handling of static content. It might create some bugs particularly with things like notifications and PMs. I can't find any but if you do please report them here.

Hopefully the site is faster, it appears to be for me.

Appearances can be fucking deceptive...

;)

spunko.thumb.jpg.e0db74a94b750e3777fd104e304ff7d3.jpg

 

XYY

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2018 at 11:19, spunko2010 said:

I've made some changes today (at about 11am)  to the handling of static content. It might create some bugs particularly with things like notifications and PMs. I can't find any but if you do please report them here.

Hopefully the site is faster, it appears to be for me.

Never had a problem before or now with the speed of this site. However I can confirm I don't have a 3rd rate PC, browser or internet connection :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not noticed any lag issues all day. It seems to be, for me, that the homepage can sometimes take ages to load on mobile only. It doesn't seem to be the connection as I've tried it at multiple locations. Must be something to do with my mobile browser (samsung browser).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I have not noticed any lag issues all day. It seems to be, for me, that the homepage can sometimes take ages to load on mobile only. It doesn't seem to be the connection as I've tried it at multiple locations. Must be something to do with my mobile browser (samsung browser).

I think it probably does load more slowly on a mobile. Android 7, Edge browser.

Just now and again there is a noticeable delay loading the home page. By which I mean a pause between the request and the page starting to come back, when it does, it then snaps back quite quickly.

That would, for me, be in the evening when I'm not on my PC.

But then that could simply be when the site is busiest - so not actually to do with the device - and I would guess that the home page is the one that has to run the most database queries to build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I think it probably does load more slowly on a mobile. Android 7, Edge browser.

Just now and again there is a noticeable delay loading the home page. By which I mean a pause between the request and the page starting to come back, when it does, it then snaps back quite quickly.

That would, for me, be in the evening when I'm not on my PC.

But then that could simply be when the site is busiest - so not actually to do with the device - and I would guess that the home page is the one that has to run the most database queries to build.

It might be an idea to add some sort of lazy loading system then, for images at least on the homepage, or a CDN. I'll run some more tests in a few days (when I can be bovvered).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It might be an idea to add some sort of lazy loading system then, for images at least on the homepage, or a CDN. I'll run some more tests in a few days (when I can be bovvered).

I remember way back in the day when we hosted a forum site for a car club that frequently had > 200 online at once. It was pitiably slow.

Because just about every single thing on the home page was executing a separate SQL query to load it.

For example - load categories. Loop categories. Get forums. Loop forums. Get most recent thread. Get number of views (separately). Get avatar (separately). Loop forums. Loop categories. 

Get top ten posts. For each, loop them. Get avatar. Get post count.

Get statistics - most online etc. Separate SQL query for each. No indexes on tables. The overhead was huge.

.. and so on. We rewrote it for them to minimise the number of SQL queries and to cache most of it in memory and it flew along afterwards.

I'd imagine this thing is probably written a bit better than that was out-of-the-box, though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I remember way back in the day when we hosted a forum site for a car club that frequently had > 200 online at once. It was pitiably slow.

Because just about every single thing on the home page was executing a separate SQL query to load it.

For example - load categories. Loop categories. Get forums. Loop forums. Get most recent thread. Get number of views (separately). Get avatar (separately). Loop forums. Loop categories. 

Get top ten posts. For each, loop them. Get avatar. Get post count.

Get statistics - most online etc. Separate SQL query for each. No indexes on tables. The overhead was huge.

.. and so on. We rewrote it for them to minimise the number of SQL queries and to cache most of it in memory and it flew along afterwards.

I'd imagine this thing is probably written a bit better than that was out-of-the-box, though :)

I added memcache so it could cache a lot of it. The problem is that the software doesn't recognise MariaDB so memcached won't ever work properly until they fix that bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By SNACR
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons
      I recall this being on TV, at the time but, had never perused the whole list - possibly the biggest case of WTFery I've ever come across and the worst case for any sort of democracy.
      Various celebrities championed some worthy contenders and they feature prominently but unless I've missed it there are incredible omissions Sir Christopher Wren doesn't seem to be on there. For science it's how long is a piece of string and given the popularity of 20th century figures Francis Crick is surprisingly absent, I think.
      Now for the WTFery and why you could never have direct democracy. Michael Crawford features at 17, which actually I don't have a problem with as he isn't pushed as a national treasure (and thank fuck the beatification of Stephen Fry wasn't in full swing so he's not on there and any potential Jimmy Savile related embarrassment seems to have been escaped).
      One of the most troubling entries is King Arthur, at 51, he might be great but I do feel he was somewhat held back. from true greatness, by being entirely mythical. Alexander Graham Bell, with his telephone, was considered one place less great than Cliff Richard - I think anyone who voted for Cliff should have their phone disconnected from the network entirely and modified to only play Living Doll on a continuous loop. J K Rowling beat Tolkien comfortably by nearly ten places. Robbie Williams beat Edward Jenner, by one place, which possibly implies some part of the population would rather suffer Smallpox than be deprived of Angels and Let Me Entertain You - to be honest these are just the tip of the iceberg.
      Frankly, I think this travesty needs urgent revision.
       
       
       
       
       
    • By Carl Fimble
      Anonymous poll, as suggested by Frank.
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.