• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Thombleached

The engineering (and how stuff works) thread

There's lots of techie types on here, what's your favourite bit of engineering? Or any tales of glorious eccentric Heath Robinson contraptions?

I'm not an engineer but I'm always amazed by how things work

For those that missed the video on Stirling engine, it's a thing of beauty:

and also how a LSD works has always amazes me for some reason:

I used to have a great video on LSD's in a see-through wooden block but I can't find it 😥

33 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Ram pump. Amazing! 

The victorians were masters of making solid reliable stuff do work out of very little and very basic materials which suits modern day DIY experimenters.

Here's a picture of a nameplate off the real thing, a massive 12" Hydraulic Ram pump that was too big to remove in the boot of my car.

I could bore you all day about this sort of shit.

Blakes-Hydram.jpg.827ded06e3e528b87095cfd320e6d49c.jpg

Edited by Chewing Grass

More water gets out than is pumped! It's using the falling weight of a large weight of water to pump a small bit. Still, that's just what is wanted in some cases. Few moving parts.

Was visiting an old mill in Ireland about 35 years ago. It had originally been water powered.I noticed that a governor had been made by Woodward, better known these days for governors and fuel control units for aircraft engines.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Are you stealing the nameplates from Victorian machinery?

Saving them from scrap, If you come across any in shit-hole-on-thames save them for me.

I'm a frustrated hoarder.

Here's one from a 1950s battery locomotive from if I remember correctly Southampton GasWorks.

greenbat.jpg.eb4c035abf69c34a130d9b861908792d.jpg

On 08/04/2017 at 16:35, Chewing Grass said:

All these are/were British companies and made really good stuff.

Here is a plate off a WW2 R.N. salvage pump for raising sunk stuff.

Worthington-Simpson.jpg.10c967d49a871cb45e09d39dd688f306.jpg

The Worthington Simpson factory still exists in Newark. It was built to build massive beam engine pumps, which became obsolete when centrifugal pumps were invented. The old boys who work there talk of the days when pig iron came in and pumps went out. They made everything down to the nuts and bolts, and had a massive apprentice college on site. Now there are a few hundred people working there and they assemble parts which are generally cast overseas.

I personally think the most damage done to our industrial base was the environmental legislation which made it too expensive to operate a foundry in this country.