• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Thombleached

Building a new PC for my son

Recommended Posts

Last year I got him a case, motherboard and PSU and we put it together so I could show him how the barebones of PCs work. This year I'm going to get him the CPU and cooler and potentially he'll have enough cash saved (from last Xmas and gifts from grandparents this year) to buy the graphics card/RAM/HD

I bookmarked what I think we should get last year but I'm keen to see if anyone can recommend anything better:

CPU https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010T6DQTQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I193XSN3CWJCY&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

Cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L7UZMAK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1FQFM95VI8HU2&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

Graphics card (could always buy another as motherboard allows two) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IFESATU/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3G5O38NQ7N5M4&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

RAM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DPSQPF2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ZSB0LJN3TLEV&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

 

Gaming rig essentially. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like good high level kit. Either that or prices have gone up a lot since I last built my computer :o

I'm doing the same this Christmas I'm going to build my both my daughters a PC out of leftover bits and bobs and just upgrade a few things. I think I will build myself a brand new one. Not sure I'll spend as much as you though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a gaming rig. Take it you are limited by the existing motherboard, else I'd actually suggest AMD CPU's currently.

I might suggest getting an AIO watercooler for the processor, rather than the noctua, like this one. Relatively easy to fit and good performance.

GPU prices are crazy currently! Don't bother with SLI, nothing modern can really use it (unless they support DX12) and unless you are gaming in 4k, fairly pointless.

16Gb of ram should be fine.

Otherwise, what are you doing for storage?

Tried looking at Scan and the like for their today only deals? You may get better prices or a steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Last year I got him a case, motherboard and PSU and we put it together so I could show him how the barebones of PCs work. This year I'm going to get him the CPU and cooler and potentially he'll have enough cash saved (from last Xmas and gifts from grandparents this year) to buy the graphics card/RAM/HD

I bookmarked what I think we should get last year but I'm keen to see if anyone can recommend anything better:

CPU https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010T6DQTQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I193XSN3CWJCY&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

Cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L7UZMAK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1FQFM95VI8HU2&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

Graphics card (could always buy another as motherboard allows two) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IFESATU/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3G5O38NQ7N5M4&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

RAM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DPSQPF2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ZSB0LJN3TLEV&colid=2Z64KZUKNSE83

 

Gaming rig essentially. Thoughts?

I don't get it -- you got him a motherboard last year and he had to wait all year to get a cpu?  O.o

For the specific question -- I've no idea what is currently fashionable for gaming, but I'd note:

  • Gaming computers tend to be gpu, not cpu bound, so it can make sense to transfer cash from cpu to gpu budget.
  • If you're spending serious money on a gpu, then the on-chip gpu tends to be unused/unimportant.  People used to go for Xeons rather than i7s for this reason (as they didn't have on-chip graphics worthy of the name, if any -- but I don't know if it still applies)
  • If you're 'educating' then overclocking is a must.  I know you've got a K listed, but it is probably already fast enough, so an overclocked lower spec chip might be sufficient.  I also don't like the idea of mucking about with thermal gradients on expensivish chips...
  • As a reference, I built a gaming rig for son#1 using a fancy graphics card and a pentium G3258 (£50ish) -- he spend ages fettling with the overclocking -- it was phenomenally fast at the games he wanted to play, and fairly stable.

But, if you really want to teach him stuff, get a Raspberry Pi or Arduino.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Looks like good high level kit. Either that or prices have gone up a lot since I last built my computer :o

I'm doing the same this Christmas I'm going to build my both my daughters a PC out of leftover bits and bobs and just upgrade a few things. I think I will build myself a brand new one. Not sure I'll spend as much as you though.

Yep, gaming rig primarily but needs to last him well for a good 4 years at least (hopefully more!)

 

20 minutes ago, inactionman said:

Sounds like a gaming rig. Take it you are limited by the existing motherboard, else I'd actually suggest AMD CPU's currently.

I might suggest getting an AIO watercooler for the processor, rather than the noctua, like this one. Relatively easy to fit and good performance.

GPU prices are crazy currently! Don't bother with SLI, nothing modern can really use it (unless they support DX12) and unless you are gaming in 4k, fairly pointless.

16Gb of ram should be fine.

Otherwise, what are you doing for storage?

Tried looking at Scan and the like for their today only deals? You may get better prices or a steal.

Yeah already got a LGA 1151 socket mobo. Watercooler looks like a good shout, which radiator MM option though?

Will that graphics card last him a good few years do you think?

19 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Yeah good point. An SSD will be required.

Yeah, he doesn't really need big storage as we've got a 10tb NAS on hand, but will have to research SSDs, what's good and solid these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dgul said:

I don't get it -- you got him a motherboard last year and he had to wait all year to get a cpu?  O.o

For the specific question -- I've no idea what is currently fashionable for gaming, but I'd note:

  • Gaming computers tend to be gpu, not cpu bound, so it can make sense to transfer cash from cpu to gpu budget.
  • If you're spending serious money on a gpu, then the on-chip gpu tends to be unused/unimportant.  People used to go for Xeons rather than i7s for this reason (as they didn't have on-chip graphics worthy of the name, if any -- but I don't know if it still applies)
  • If you're 'educating' then overclocking is a must.  I know you've got a K listed, but it is probably already fast enough, so an overclocked lower spec chip might be sufficient.  I also don't like the idea of mucking about with thermal gradients on expensivish chips...
  • As a reference, I built a gaming rig for son#1 using a fancy graphics card and a pentium G3258 (£50ish) -- he spend ages fettling with the overclocking -- it was phenomenally fast at the games he wanted to play, and fairly stable.

But, if you really want to teach him stuff, get a Raspberry Pi or Arduino.  

He was supposed to be buying the CPU immediatley after Xmas last year, but I figured seen as the CPU price would have come down and noted your point 1 - it was better to hold out on buying the CPU in case a better GPU could be bought later on with the savings from the CPU that I bookmarked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Will that graphics card last him a good few years do you think?

I read a while ago that the base for a GPU to play modern games is 2gb DDR5, so that card should be stonking tbh. I'm having to re-educate myself about all the new tech though, as my last build was 6 years ago now. I didn't realise it was so long ago, but I don't play modern games at the moment. I'm looking to start though, hence the new build myself :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dgul said:

IGaming computers tend to be gpu, not cpu bound, so it can make sense to transfer cash from cpu to gpu budget.

Thats true, but also the rate of improvement is much faster with GPUs, so from a longer term cost perspective it can make sense to go with the best current gaming CPU (which might not be the most expensive ..>) and a mid range GPU with a view to upgrading the GPU as and when.

I'm  currently on the 3rd GPU for the same CPU.

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radiator size depends on what you can fit in the case, thinking about it you'd probably want a 140mm at a minimum.

A 1070 should be fine for a few years, it's the kind of thing that depreciates pretty badly / innovates a lot, so better to replace it in a couple of years than try to buy for more than a couple of years in the future now.

I'd suggest a samsung evo for the SSD, you probably don't need more than 250Gb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spend money on the graphics, and memory.o.O A flashy light up case is nice.But not necessary. I have a nice "gaming laptop" which wasn't top spec but the sound card and graphics are good. I don't use it for games, but for mathematical modelling, and decoding "stuff"!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, inactionman said:

It's a newer generation processor. What's your motherboard? The problem you have is that you need a CPU in there to upgrade the BIOS, if your mobo doesn't support the new CPU, you are fecked.

This one, will it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0126R2LBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does support it (here), but needs a BIOS upgrade. Do you have another processor you can put in there temporarily to flash the BIOS?

The problem with the newer processors is that I've heard that they don't overclock as well as the old ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, inactionman said:

It does support it (here), but needs a BIOS upgrade. Do you have another processor you can put in there temporarily to flash the BIOS?

The problem with the newer processors is that I've heard that they don't overclock as well as the old ones.

No other 1151 cpus i'm afraid, all of the pc's in this house are as old as me. :Geek:

Best to just stick to the one bookmarked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, inactionman said:

you probably don't need more than 250Gb.

Oh dear what a light weight, I recently upgraded my SSD to 1TB. Yeah sure you can arse about separating stuff you really need to be fast and what you dont then you can get away with less but ... on a gaming rig  you want everything on SSD or you dont get the biggest benefit which is the lightning fast loading of saved games. Only thing I ever use non-ssd for is media files such as movies and photos etc.

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

No other 1151 cpus i'm afraid, all of the pc's in this house are as old as me. :Geek:

Best to just stick to the one bookmarked?

Buy the new one, if it doesn't work buy a cheap skylake 1151 cpu (eg, g4400 goes for £35ish on ebay.  Don't get a Kaby!), upgrade the processor, then sell it on ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

Oh dear what a light weight, I recently upgraded my SSD to 1TB. Yeah sure you can arse about separating stuff you really need to be fast and what you dont then you can get away with less but ... on a gaming rig  you want everything on SSD or you dont get the biggest benefit which is the lightning fast loading of saved games. Only thing I ever use non-ssd for is media files such as movies and photos etc.

At home I have a 250Gb M.2 NVME drive and a 1Tb SSD (then 3Tb of local spinning rust and finally a 24Tb NAS), but SSD's are expensive and it's an obvious saving. He'll just have to get used to un-installing and re-installing games! Just mount storage on the NAS as iSCSI or a simple network share.

Looks like the right processor. Another option is get the local computer shop to upgrade the BIOS for you using one of their processors, but it will probably end up costing you about the same.

Edited by inactionman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the CPU and the graphics card. Nice! 

The cooler looks way overkill unless you are over clocking it. The stock one should be OK. Also bear in mind most of the heat is generated by the GPU these days as most of the drawing is farmed over to it from the CPU.

I use a 120gb ssd and a redundant raid NAS for storage. Much better to keep PC storage to a minimum then have the data backed up to redundant  nas. I've lost a disk and recovered it before by just swooping in a disk. Without it I'd of list terrabyes of data.

For most games etc a 250gb would suffice IMO.

Don't forget an sdcard slot, godsend for pics from cams\vids. Much faster than over USB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for an ssd in the end. Might swap the OS drive for an M2 once we get the graphics card. 

Which is the only thing left now, so Any suggestions? I think he's got about £400 to spend (saved up from two Christmas' and two birthdays). Are we in gtx1080 territory yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was shopping for GFX card in the summer, 1070 would of been ideal, but crypto miners meant 1070 cards were over priced, so the choice then was a much cheaper 1060 or a slightly more expensive 1080, I went for the 1080.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.