• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

British Woman held in Egypt for smuggling Tramadol

Hmmm another one of these "Banged up Abroad" public sympathy stories, what are peoples opinions on this? (i note comments are closed)

Family of British holidaymaker, 33, who 'faces the death penalty' in Egypt was fleeced for £10,000 by two 'lawyers' after she was arrested for carrying £23 painkillers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5050165/Family-British-holidaymaker-fleeced-10-000.html

We are quite a glamorous family and she looked absolutely shocking. Her hair has fallen out and she has a really bad ear infection which has caused her whole face and neck to swell.

---

Only visits her "Husband" 2 to 4 times per year,

Tramadol most widely abused drug in Egypt, requires prior permission from Health Ministry to import, unlikely you wouldn't be told that in any holiday booking 

Edited by WorkingPoor

I can't help but find these complete fucking idiots hilarious.

" We are quite a glamourous family "

Yep, now you are the Queen of Sheba.

2 minutes ago, This Time said:

I saw this the other day. The article I read said the drugs were for her Egyptian husband.

For his back pain supposedly.

The Dad (who stumped up £10,000 to try and buy her out of jail) 

"She wouldn't know the difference between a Tramadol & a Panadol"

The sister: "She watches Emmerdale and is in bed by 9pm" 

Plenty of wine / cocktail swilling "big hair" party photos! 

6 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

The Dad (who stumped up £10,000 to try and buy her out of jail) 

"She wouldn't know the difference between a Tramadol & a Panadol"

The sister: "She watches Emmerdale and is in bed by 9pm" 

Plenty of wine / cocktail swilling "big hair" party photos! 

Well if she didn't know what the difference was, how did she even get them? They're prescription only...

2 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Why are they so bothered about tramadol? It's hardly recreational compared to pretty much anything else.

google "tramadol addiction". Problem with tramadol specifically is that its an opiod and also an SSRI, pretty lethal for addictions

She must have gone to a doctor in the UK to get a prescription to get a painkiller for someone in Egypt and then flew out to take them to him.  Don't doctors have to examine patients and even know that a patient exists before issuing prescriptions for drugs for them.  Are there no suitable medicines in Egypt even if he had to pay for them. 

Yet again an article with not much that would make sense to most people. 

3 minutes ago, twocents said:

She must have gone to a doctor in the UK to get a prescription to get a painkiller for someone in Egypt and then flew out to take them to him.  Don't doctors have to examine patients and even know that a patient exists before issuing prescriptions for drugs for them.  Are there no suitable medicines in Egypt even if he had to pay for them. 

Yet again an article with not much that would make sense to most people. 

She got them off a friend...

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

She got them off a friend...

She must have done but I can only see from the mail article that the drug was recommended by what was termed a colleague.  Maybe the colleague gave her a few samples.

2 minutes ago, twocents said:

She must have done but I can only see from the mail article that the drug was recommended by what was termed a colleague.  Maybe the colleague gave her a few samples.

James Plummer, Laura’s brother, said his sister had been given the prescription drugs by a colleague at the shop in Hull she works in, after she’d told her about her husband’s pain.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/05/laura-plummer-family-uk-woman-egypt-tramadol

I suspect you don't get given samples of tramadol ever.

Plummer was visiting her husband of 18 months on what her brother called “a routine holiday”. She visits him two to four times a year, although it is not clear if their marriage is official.

The Sun said she took 29 strips of tramadol, each containing ten tablets, plus some Naproxen, adding that her husband suffers back pain due to an accident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/03/british-woman-locked-egypt-nearly-month-husbands-painkillers/

£10,000 for people "posing as lawyers".  So they just walked in off the street with no ID or anything?  Someone in the station must have tipped them off about the rich female willing to hand money over to anyone with a likely story?

Edited by twocents

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

We had some for our cat when she had cancer, the vet had to get permission from the government to prescribe it.

Edited by This Time
ketbaord

7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

James Plummer, Laura’s brother, said his sister had been given the prescription drugs by a colleague at the shop in Hull she works in, after she’d told her about her husband’s pain.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/05/laura-plummer-family-uk-woman-egypt-tramadol

Plummer was visiting her husband of 18 months on what her brother called “a routine holiday”. She visits him two to four times a year, although it is not clear if their marriage is official.

The Sun said she took 29 strips of tramadol, each containing ten tablets, plus some Naproxen, adding that her husband suffers back pain due to an accident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/03/british-woman-locked-egypt-nearly-month-husbands-painkillers/

Although evidently a colleague who works in the same shop did?  You won't get samples from an official outlet.

Edited by twocents

1 minute ago, twocents said:

Although evidently a colleague who works in the same shop did?.

29 strips of 10 aint a sample! 
http://psnc.org.uk/halton-st-helens-and-knowsley-lpc/wp-content/uploads/sites/45/2014/05/Controlled-Drug-changes-to-the-legal-classification-of-Tramadol-28-5-14-2.pdf
Quantity - The maximum quantity to be supplied should not exceed 30 days

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I'd imagine the Egyptian medical system is fairly crap. However I'd imagine you can legally source painkillers if you really want them...

Tbh, at first glance she was drug smuggling. She had a drug that you cant just buy in the UK without a prescription. She carried it into a country where this drug was illegal. I love criticising Islamic countries as much as the next dosboder, however in this case I don't think Egypt has done anything wrong...

Anyway, surely the spider senses should be tingling if someone asks you to take drugs into a country?

Agree and I can't imagine any doctor prescribing 290 of a schedule 3 controlled drug to anyone

10 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I should have maybe put the word sample in inverted commas to reflect its ironic potential. 

Ok that's not what you would seriously call a sample - especially as the amounts normally allowed to be prescribed are so tiny - a bit like antibiotics.  Then the mystery deepens further if they are so carefully controlled and only ever prescribed  in such small amounts.  

Edited by twocents

Just now, twocents said:

I should have maybe put the word sample in inverted commas to reflect its ironic potential. 

Ok thatt's not what you would seriously call a sample - especially as the amounts normally allowed to be prescribed are so tiny - a bit like antibiotics.  Then the mystery deepens further if they are so carefully controlled and only ever prescribed  in such small amounts.  

OK, I don't do sarcasm anymore. My humour module was removed after months of agro on the lotty.

Yes it's not the same as having three out of date - prescribed to self years before - tablets stuck at the bottom of your handbag.