• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

fridge

Recommended Posts

Puddle under. Initially black/dirty, now running clear. Odourless, not oily.

 

Looked underneath. Works encased in a sort of plasticised cardboardy-looking insulation material. Seems to be seeping out of a join. No visible means of access.

 

Is it worth trying to to take it apart? Fridge is ten years old. Was just recently thinging, it had lasted quite well. (I think it's a cheapo AUG - reliable brand, but probably globalosised low cost manufactured)

 

edit. Stopped now that I've switched it off. May as well defrost it.

Edited by steppensheep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go buy yourself a bottle of milton baby fluid or whatever the non-brand equivalent is in your local supermarket. Pour a fair amount into the drainage hole inside the fridge. Wait 24 hours. You can also try bicarb or lemon juice or vinegar. Wiggle a pipe cleaner or a cable tie into it - preferably with fridge turned off - to clear out the gunk.

Cotton bud might be long enough. Clean the gunk out. Pour in some milton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Go buy yourself a bottle of milton baby fluid or whatever the non-brand equivalent is in your local supermarket. Pour a fair amount into the drainage hole inside the fridge. Wait 24 hours. You can also try bicarb or lemon juice or vinegar. Wiggle a pipe cleaner or a cable tie into it - preferably with fridge turned off - to clear out the gunk.

Cotton bud might be long enough. Clean the gunk out. Pour in some milton.

I used to work for a restaurant owner who was obsessed with the restorative power of Milton. You could leave out a fly infested rat's carcass on the worktop, so long as the smell of milton hit him first when he came in, he would be happy that you were on top of the cleanliness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eight said:

I used to work for a restaurant owner who was obsessed with the restorative power of Milton. You could leave out a fly infested rat's carcass on the worktop, so long as the smell of milton hit him first when he came in, he would be happy that you were on top of the cleanliness.

Yelp review time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

Still defrosting. Quite impressive insulation. I enjoyed carving the slabs of ice I'd thrown in the toilet bowl with my steamy urine stream. I'm tempted to enter one of those ice sculpture competitions.

 

Now it is dark, throw some into the back garden and repeat said urination under a star-lit sky - put you in touch with your hunter-gatherer inner self.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Puddle under. Initially black/dirty, now running clear. Odourless, not oily.

 

Looked underneath. Works encased in a sort of plasticised cardboardy-looking insulation material. Seems to be seeping out of a join. No visible means of access.

 

Is it worth trying to to take it apart? Fridge is ten years old. Was just recently thinging, it had lasted quite well. (I think it's a cheapo AUG - reliable brand, but probably globalosised low cost manufactured)

 

edit. Stopped now that I've switched it off. May as well defrost it.

Check the door seal ,easy to do wait until the fridge gets to its working temp close the door leave for a few minutes the open slowly/tentatively and listen for an in take of air as in a shhhh if you don`t get the shhh your door is not sealing theres  a few easy fixes depending on what`s causing the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shindigger said:

Don't forget to howl a bit too.

I like to pretend that I am Kunta Kinte - famous scene from Roots when he holds up his newborn baby to the stars - and cry out some nonsense about me existing in the Universe and wanting the Universe to remember me. Powerful stuff. Then I go back inside and make a cuppa and a cheese toastic - gluten free of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steppensheep said:

Bloody dishwasher has gone and flooded the kitchen. Can't tip it up to look under it, as more water keeps pouring out. All my appliances are about 10 years old, so they're probably reaching their programmed life end.

Is it pumping water?
Has the hose thing come out of drain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

Bloody dishwasher has gone and flooded the kitchen. Can't tip it up to look under it, as more water keeps pouring out. All my appliances are about 10 years old, so they're probably reaching their programmed life end.

There should be a valve to stop the machine working if there is water in the sump underneath.  Sometimes these stop working

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

---

 

Your dishwasher should have a cutout emergency system to keep draining to prevent the electrics being flooded. Is it not doing that? Was it turned on during the leak or was it off?

If it's pumping/draining when on, you should be able to hear it! If you can't it probably means it isn't, in which case the leak is probably the connection point of the hose and the machine. Pull the dishwasher right out and check the connection at the back, in particular any foreign objects or limescale buildup in the filter. My filter connects at the other end btw, eg to the outlet tap itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, false alarm. The only thing I can think is, maybe I was pouring a bucket of water in the shower tray at the same time, and it backed up. Other minor plusses are, it seems to only have a capacity of half a bucket, which means that I managed to catch most of the flood, rather than it flooding my neighbour downstairs. And finally found a screw that a bit in my set of 90 funny shaped driver bits that I've had for the past ten years actually fitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Sorry, false alarm. The only thing I can think is, maybe I was pouring a bucket of water in the shower tray at the same time, and it backed up. Other minor plusses are, it seems to only have a capacity of half a bucket, which means that I managed to catch most of the flood, rather than it flooding my neighbour downstairs. And finally found a screw that a bit in my set of 90 funny shaped driver bits that I've had for the past ten years actually fitted.

I’m glad all turned out well for you :)

Unfortunately I haven’t been so lucky. I returned home yesterday to discover my dipshit son had left the kitchen sink tap running unattended. Unfortunately the water pressure forced the sink stopper down and flooded the kitchen.

The vinyl has been lifted and the dehumidifier is chugging away clocking up the meter.

Just what you need at this time of year and it being the time to be jolly and happy :PissedOff:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I’m glad all turned out well for you :)

Unfortunately I haven’t been so lucky. I returned home yesterday to discover my dipshit son had left the kitchen sink tap running unattended. Unfortunately the water pressure forced the sink stopper down and flooded the kitchen.

The vinyl has been lifted and the dehumidifier is chugging away clocking up the meter.

Just what you need at this time of year and it being the time to be jolly and happy :PissedOff:

Turn the heating off, wait a couple of hours and open up as a Christmas skating rink.

You'll make a fortune.

But being where you are you'll probably be over run by guys with stones and another bunch with worn out brooms within an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Turn the heating off, wait a couple of hours and open up as a Christmas skating rink.

You'll make a fortune.

But being where you are you'll probably be over run by guys with stones and another bunch with worn out brooms within an hour.

Ah yes, curling.

I had a go at that when I worked for RBS. Oh boy they take it seriously with special knee pads, brooms and stones!

My broom technique wasn’t good enough to be selected for the team xD

Your post in a time of parental trial made me laugh. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Austin Allegro
      In another thread we are bemoaning the difficulty of getting tradesmen to do jobs. 
      I therefore propose a thread on DIY and self reliance tips in order to avoid the can't be bothered brigade. 
      Here's a couple of my tips: 
      1. I replaced a panel in my panel fence (a two man job) by screwing temporary handles on to it as shown in a youtube video. Works a charm, even in a high wind. 
      2. I put a roof on my shed (another two man job) by using ratchet straps and pulling it into position from ground level. I then secured the ratchet straps to the base of the shed and got on the roof to nail it into place. 
      3. I clean my own windows with an 18' extendable cleaning pole. It works quite well though using the blade on the upper storey windows takes practice.
      4. I repaired and smartened up my cracked patio using the 'Portland Paint' technique - basically just filling the cracks then skimming and painting new mortar on top of old to give a new finish. It does need to be done annually for best results, but it costs only a few pence as opposed to hundreds of pounds for a new patio. 
      5.I fixed a broken tap using the advice of this excellent online retired plumber called Dereton 33. Saved £££s.
      Please post your hints, tips and other ways to get round the 'tradesman problem'!
       
    • By davidg
      Is grease monkey rascist?
      Well anyway went into the Toy-Yoda main stealer. Got a rumbling rear wheel bearing, how much to change?
      Guy sucks backwards through teeth, 250 for the hub, 2 hours labour so thats 200. 450, plus VAT at 20%
      WTF? what are the hubs made of? Unicorn shit? Can't you just pull the bearings? They are usually about a score to buy?
      Nah mate, sealed unit innit.
      and 2 hours for labour?
      Yeah, well we have to remove the hub, bolts, anyway it's  a standard rate anyway, same price in any main stealer.
      ===
      So anyway I check with the motor factors, a hub from a reputable manufacturer was 90 euros. I spent half an hour this morning removing the hub and undoing 3 bolts holding the bearing unit. I then got stuck on the last bolt despite having a breaker bar. I realized that my socket was not the best quality. Left penetrating oil on the bolt and bearing unit. Went out to lunch and popped into the DIY shop to pick up a quality socket which let me get the remaining bolt out. Couldn't free the bearing unit so returned to DIY shop to buy two long 10mm bolts which I screwed into the bearing unit to press it out against the axle unit.
      Total cost about 100 and an hour and a half work, a garage could probably do it in half an hour.
      500 euros, it is nearly criminal!
       
    • By steppensheep
      I need a 3 inch or so square of plastic with one side curved, and made of a suitable material that will glue to whatever my laptop lid is made of. I did have a bit I was saving from the battery case cover of some electrical item, but I think I probably forgot what I was saving it for and threw it out, or else it's gone to wherever the socks and biros go. Anyway, the crack has got bigger, so it would be too small now.
       
      I actually managed to melt an aluminium bracket onto it, which probably worked better than it deserved to, and actually stopped the crack spreading but also ended up a bit messy looking.
       
      Any suggestions?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.