• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

When did the bollox about poppy leaves start?

Recommended Posts

Point at 11 ..Proper way .... doint it wrong otherwise.....

Never this before. Ive just seen multiple fb posts on the subject.

Its only in the 15 years that poppies have  had leaves.

Spunkos mirrored his poppy then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Point at 11 ..Proper way .... doint it wrong otherwise.....

Never this before. Ive just seen multiple fb posts on the subject.

Its only in the 15 years that poppies have  had leaves.

Spunkos mirrored his poppy then.

Poppies?  Wracist. Privileged and horrendously white. At least I was in a meeting the other day with someone wearing a white poppy. 

And no, I didn't go there so have not a clue why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, One percent said:

Poppies?  Wracist. Privileged and horrendously white. At least I was in a meeting the other day with someone wearing a white poppy. 

And no, I didn't go there so have not a clue why. 

It's a deliberate attempt to undermine the main poppy appeal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/14/peace-campaigners-accused-indoctrinating-childrenas-teaching/amp/

Peace campaigners have been accused of “indoctrinating” children, after Britain’s largest teaching union promoted a scheme to sell white poppies ahead of Remembrance Sunday.

The Peace Pledge Union (PPU), a pacifist organisation, will this week formally launch a new campaign for schools across the country to endorse white poppies.

It comes after the PPU exhibited for the first time at this year’s National Union of Teachers (NUT) conference, where it signed up over 100 teachers to its inaugural teacher network.

The PPU, which grew out of the conscientious objectors movement in the First World War, aims to challenge what they see as the “glamorisation” of war through the sale of red poppies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's a deliberate attempt to undermine the main poppy appeal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/14/peace-campaigners-accused-indoctrinating-childrenas-teaching/amp/

Peace campaigners have been accused of “indoctrinating” children, after Britain’s largest teaching union promoted a scheme to sell white poppies ahead of Remembrance Sunday.

The Peace Pledge Union (PPU), a pacifist organisation, will this week formally launch a new campaign for schools across the country to endorse white poppies.

It comes after the PPU exhibited for the first time at this year’s National Union of Teachers (NUT) conference, where it signed up over 100 teachers to its inaugural teacher network.

The PPU, which grew out of the conscientious objectors movement in the First World War, aims to challenge what they see as the “glamorisation” of war through the sale of red poppies.

Ta, speccy. The white poppy was on an aged poly lecturer. Says it al, really extreme virtue signaling. When a group started to discuss how much they all wanted one, I took it as a signal to leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:
The PPU, which grew out of the conscientious objectors movement in the First World War, aims to challenge what they see as the “glamorisation” of war through the sale of red poppies.

Quite happy for them to wear a white feather!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blobloblob said:

I still chuck a couple of quid in a collection box but I don't take one any more. Ever since people started getting all "it's compulsory and you hate the country / army / blah if you don't wear one" I no longer want to.

Waaaay behind the times. Apparently there is something decidedly odious about wearing one these days. Totally un pc. I wear mine with pride. :) 

i was the only one in work today wearing one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's a deliberate attempt to undermine the main poppy appeal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/14/peace-campaigners-accused-indoctrinating-childrenas-teaching/amp/

Peace campaigners have been accused of “indoctrinating” children, after Britain’s largest teaching union promoted a scheme to sell white poppies ahead of Remembrance Sunday.

The Peace Pledge Union (PPU), a pacifist organisation, will this week formally launch a new campaign for schools across the country to endorse white poppies.

It comes after the PPU exhibited for the first time at this year’s National Union of Teachers (NUT) conference, where it signed up over 100 teachers to its inaugural teacher network.

The PPU, which grew out of the conscientious objectors movement in the First World War, aims to challenge what they see as the “glamorisation” of war through the sale of red poppies.

I think the white poppy is a great idea.  

But it shouldn't compete with the armistice day memorial.  To do so is crass and insensitive in the extreme -- it just makes me think that they're trying to score a cheap point*, rather than engage in intelligent debate.

I'd suggest that the 28th July would be a good date.  It would also, perhaps, focus the mind a bit -- after all, it is arguably easy to be a pacifist when the enemy has just been defeated, but quite different when they're marching towards your borders.

Anyway, they can then get people to donate their money & demonstrate their ethical standpoint for the right reasons, rather than playing silly buggers.

[* Which, of course, is the only thing they're doing here]

Edited by dgul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely left field but does anyone remember the poppies from years back. They were made from som wonderful felt like material. It was in layers which could be peeled apart to make an outstandingly pretty and unique poppy  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for at the going down of the sun

Quite interesting that each year the calls for moving on grow a little louder.

That the remembrance service needs updating.

Like rebooting The X-Factor. 

What are they urging us to move on from ?

Remembrance Sunday should be the time to reflect on the bravery, sacrifice and loss on all sides.

To respect those that died or suffered harm in the hope that we may live freely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Image result for at the going down of the sun

Quite interesting that each year the calls for moving on grow a little louder.

That the remembrance service needs updating.

Like rebooting The X-Factor. 

What are they urging us to move on from ?

Remembrance Sunday should be the time to reflect on the bravery, sacrifice and loss on all sides.

To respect those that died or suffered harm in the hope that we may live freely. 

And it started in WWI but there are always service people getting killed and maimed. There are also a lot of ex services on the streets, homeless. There is still a need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting sacrifice and bravery of WW1 & 2 troops aside regarding poppy wearing here.

IMO the root problem regarding ex service suffering from more recent conflicts is due to lack of funding for those who actively serve their country in conflicts then when you return home broken you can get on with it and take your chance applying for disability benefits.

In these globalist and multiculturalist times my opinion is to not even bother thinking about serving your country. It doesn’t exist!

Wearing a poppy wont change that, IMO, serving your country and risking/losing your life in a conflict is a fantasy for plebs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

At time of war plebs don't usually have a choice.

There is a sort of choice.

Object/unable to do the job then you’ll be imprisoned or be shot. If you’re very lucky or have good connections you might get hospitalised for rehabilitation.

Many met those fates in WW1&2.

Looking at history IMO all informed plebs should have a plan to opt out of the manipulation in conflict situations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've lost count how many poppies I've donated for.  Those that want to wear white ones should choose a different time and they should be left alone to make their own statement.

So far as British Legion etc funding is concerned it's high time the bankers coughed up for the majority of that funding as it seems that there's plenty of evidence that with most wars it's their oars that cause and fund them - in the main.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I wear a poppy because in addition to supporting our armed forces, as a bonus it often angers many that don't.   

Really? I know a white poppy wearer who wears it for that very same reason! But I've never met anyone who is actually angry about it on either side.

I don't wear either, personally. I'm not a pacifist, but I am very much a non-interventionist. I know there are still surviving vets from the second world war, but there aren't many, and so I really can't see the point in going on about something that very few living people were involved in. The soldiers in every conflict since Suez were not conscripts. They knew the risks when they signed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blobloblob said:

I still chuck a couple of quid in a collection box but I don't take one any more. Ever since people started getting all "it's compulsory and you hate the country / army / blah if you don't wear one" I no longer want to.

About thirty years ago my girlfriend worked as a cook at the place that made the poppies. Charity run, the veterans that made them were on about £2 per hour.

The head cook (I won't use the word chef in this instance) was paid about £30k per annum. 

I have no idea how she got the job. Her husband being head of the organisation was clearly a lucky coincidence.

I have not bought a poppy since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rave said:

Really? I know a white poppy wearer who wears it for that very same reason! But I've never met anyone who is actually angry about it on either side.

I have elderly relatives.

They frown on anybody not wearing a poppy.

Who gets angry ?

Other relatives, into CND, The Green Party, Save The Children, David Rovics, Angelic Upstarts, Palestinian rights, other things I've forgotten, they say poppies glorify war.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I refuse to drive around with a Comic Relief red nose on the front of my car, or have a Children In Need teddy suction cupped to my rear window for the same reason.

I wear a poppy because in addition to supporting our armed forces, as a bonus it often angers many that don't.   

I'm entirely with you there!

I think it may have been reading the odd story about pubs refusing to serve soldiers in uniform that got me wearing one again; having stopped after Harry Patch died.

The only thing I'm signalling by wearing one is that if a serving or ex service person sees it then they will be able to see one person clearly on their side rather than potentially opposed to them.

And as you say; if it annoys a SJW then that's just win win.

It's not a big deal for me and I couldn't say how many of my work colleagues wear them because one tends to pin them to one's outdoors coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.