• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Learning handwriting no longer mandated in US schools

Looks like handwriting is being thrown into the educational bin as irrelevant in the digital age.

Those who are more enlightened are horrified.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41927258

From motor control of holding 'the pen', to brain development, cognitive ability, memory and the ability to think and analyse visual information the simple act of learning to use a pen and compose fast joined up writing it is more than just a skill.

However if you wan't a dumb, pliable, de-skilled population go on chuck it in the bin.

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Looks like handwriting is being thrown into the educational bin as irrelevant in the digital age.

Those who are more enlightened are horrified.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41927258

From motor control of holding 'the pen', to brain development, cognitive ability, memory and the ability to think and analyse visual information the simple act of learning to use a pen and compose fast joined up writing it is more than just a skill.

However if you wan't a dumb, pliable, de-skilled population go on chuck it in the bin.

What, so people in the future, if they want to jot a note down, take a message or write a shopping list will have to fire up an electronic device first?

what about that wonderful skill of annotating the printed page? 

They are trying to take us back to the dark ages aren't they?  

1 minute ago, One percent said:

What, so people in the future, if they want to jot a note down, take a message or write a shopping list will have to fire up an electronic device first?

what about that wonderful skill of annotating the printed page? 

They are trying to take us back to the dark ages aren't they?  

Apparently they can write in block letters if they need to like 5 year olds.

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

Apparently they can write in block letters if they need to like 5 year olds.

That's what I do now. Years of typing and guitar playing have done strange things to the tendons in my hand that make it very slow and a bit painful for me to do joined up writing. I could do physio I guess and try to get it fixed, but I so rarely need to write anything by hand that it just doesn't seem worth it. That being said, I do think kids should do it - BlueCat junior for example always gets better results when he hand writes his homework vs. types it out - there's something about the process of using a pen that makes him stop and think more about what he's doing.

If I want to learn something then I write it down; the very act of writing it activates my memory.

Typing is a very different skill and more mechanical than writing which engages the brain far more.

In writing I never mix up there / their for example because I know the difference and my brain is engaged. Rattling off a bit of typing is more similar to speaking, words become phonetic and I do mix up there / their.

Well that's graphologists out of a job then!

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

If I want to learn something then I write it down; the very act of writing it activates my memory.

Typing is a very different skill and more mechanical than writing which engages the brain far more.

In writing I never mix up there / their for example because I know the difference and my brain is engaged. Rattling off a bit of typing is more similar to speaking, words become phonetic and I do mix up there / their.

I agree, writing something embeds it in my brain far more effectively than typing. I've forgotten this post already.

I love writing by hand and making it neat.

If I have a complaint to make to MP, Council or whatever I always send a handwritten properly set out letter. 

Likewise if anyone asks me for a recipe etc I write it out nicely. If I make a mistake I’ll redo it.

As mentioned if I want to learn something writing stuff down always helps.

Most days I do some handwriting even if I’m just writing my name and address, poems I like or thoughts about stuff in my jotter.

However, I guess I’m probably in the minority these days. 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

exams are hand written .. will they only be multiple choice done on computer fro  now on?