• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
BLOOLOO

Racist sees racism in non racist ceremonies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

So, remembrance day, which is to raise funds for All British soldiers and all those who served in the Great War to be remembered, meant nothing to a British Indian Muslim until he found out that ALL meant ALL, not just whites.

Says he was never taught Indians fought and died in the Great War.

Demands that races are to be represented.  Racism in its purest form, ie, separating and distinguishing races rather than the group whose aims were the same, died for the same reasons and are remembered by the rest of the group.  Not good enough for this guy. 

at the end of the article, there is a call from another unintegrated Muslim (female) for the MEDIA to do something:

"

Dr Malik's comments are echoed by Rabia Mirza, from Derby, who recently learnt her great-grandfather Mirza Firoz Din served with the Bombay Engineer Group, building trenches and bases for the British army.

"I was never interested in history at school. All I saw were white faces I couldn't relate to," she said.

"Now I know about my great-grandfather, I feel much more in touch with Remembrance.

"I think the media could certainly do more to educate people about the contributions of the Indian soldiers."

"

couldnt relate to her countrymen...demands someone else informs her.  BBC happy to oblige her laziness.

Edited by BLOOLOO

From the article

It's a sentiment researchers at think tank British Future regularly come across in their efforts to highlight Muslims' participation in World War One and Two.

http://www.britishfuture.org/  "I owe my existence to Indian army Muslim soldiers” – Paddy Ashdown

From the article

Highlighting the Muslim contribution dispels the far-right conception that Islam is a foreign or alien thing that can't be British

Says all you need to know.

It is brain washing for an agenda

Edited by Hopeful

Yeah, he was on R4 Sunday prog.

Id be very very careful with the quoted numbers.

'Approximately 1.3 million Indian soldiers - Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims and Christians - served in WW1, and 2.5 million in WW2'

Most would have been laborer/coolies.

If I remember, most of the fighting ones would have been Sikhs.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

There was a short article on the So-Called BBC news about how many muslim soldiers died saving our country during the first world war. No mention of how many Sikhs or those of other religions and races fought and died.

I would also highlight the tremendous disconnect between these adjacent paragraphs in the article:

We weren't taught about the Indians in school."

It's a sentiment researchers at think tank British Future regularly come across in their efforts to highlight Muslims' participation in World War One and Two.

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

'Approximately 1.3 million Indian soldiers - Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims and Christians - served in WW1, and 2.5 million in WW2'

Didn't their ancestors serve in India? It was a world war after all. 

Besides they are now as British as you and me and should be feeling guilty about slavery and colonialism rather than basking in victimhood over it. 

10 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Didn't their ancestors serve in India? It was a world war after all. 

Besides they are now as British as you and me and should be feeling guilty about slavery and colonialism rather than basking in victimhood over it. 

Indeed, it represents how they still are unintegrated 99 years after WW1 finished.  And somehow, that is the white mans fault.

45 minutes ago, spygirl said:

sikhs are the warrior cast in traditional indian culture,and some of my sikh friends make me blush with there coments about other religiouse groups

What about the non-white people who fought for the Axis powers against the Allies.

I wonder if we will hear more about the Muslims who served in the Waffen SS now that some of these poor downtrodden ROPers are now interested in the First and Second World War.

Edited by M S E Refugee

18 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

What about the non-white people who fought for the Axis powers against the allies.

I wonder if we will hear more about the Muslims who served in the Waffen SS now that some of these poor downtrodden ROPers are now interested in the First and Second World War.

Quite right. Or that there was a non-white empire, the (Sunni Muslim) Ottoman Empire, deeply involved in WW1, and not on our side as the kids at the So-Called BBC may believe. 

Edited by The Idiocrat

9 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Quite right. Or that there was a non-white empire, the (Sunni Muslim) Ottoman Empire, deeply involved in WW1, and not on our side as the kids at the So-Called BBC may believe. 

I wonder if an apology will be forthcoming for the 1.5 million murdered in the  Armenian genocide by the Muslim Ottomans during WW1.

Maybe the So-Called BBC could broadcast a documentary about it.

I hate* all this. 

I hate white vs red poppies.  I hate Home Front on R4.  I hate the 'oh, we should put up a memorial' in the period dramas from the 1920s.  I hate the petty moralising**.

Remembrance Sunday / Armistice day silence is just a little, tiny moment where we can (should?) quietly reflect on both the horrors and sacrifice in war.  

I suppose I can put up with the occasional softly spoken words from the most senior of leaders in ethics (archbishops, that sort of thing) or from people 'who were there', but I really don't want to hear stuff from armchair philosophers or moral crusaders.

[* an emotive word chosen especially for Remembrance Sunday]

[** and I'm sure I now hate myself for saying all this.  I'll shut up now.]

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

I hate* all this. 

I hate white vs red poppies.  I hate Home Front on R4.  I hate the 'oh, we should put up a memorial' in the period dramas from the 1920s.  I hate the petty moralising**.

Remembrance Sunday / Armistice day silence is just a little, tiny moment where we can (should?) quietly reflect on both the horrors and sacrifice in war.  

I suppose I can put up with the occasional softly spoken words from the most senior of leaders in ethics (archbishops, that sort of thing) or from people 'who were there', but I really don't want to hear stuff from armchair philosophers or moral crusaders.

[* an emotive word chosen especially for Remembrance Sunday]

[** and I'm sure I now hate myself for saying all this.  I'll shut up now.]

Is the home front ever going to stop?

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

BBC + the mozzer have based the info partially on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Army_during_World_War_I

Indian Army or Army of India. The latter contained British troops. In fact when deployed the usual arrangement was one battalion British troops to two Indian or others such as Gurkha's. About 1.75 million Indians volunteered for active service in the first World War but the army was never bigger than about 500,000 men. Indian cavalry served on the western Front throughout the war but there were no Indian infantry deployed there after 1915 as they were sent to the Middle East to fight the Turks. In the Second World War most of the fighting by the Indian Army was done on the borders of British India with Burma against the Japanese and  in the Middle East and North Africa. Again there was no conscription and all serving soldiers were volunteers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Indian_Army

To put the figures in perspective over 5.5 million Britons saw active service in the Great War and the British Army was about 3.5 million strong at its peak. By 1918 nearly all British troops entering the ranks were conscripts

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/some-british-army-statistics-of-the-great-war/

In the Second World War the British Army was about 3 million strong in 1945. From 1939 all the soldiers recruited were conscripts 

Edited by Virgil Caine

4 hours ago, BLOOLOO said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

So, remembrance day, which is to raise funds for All British soldiers and all those who served in the Great War to be remembered, meant nothing to a British Indian Muslim until he found out that ALL meant ALL, not just whites.

Says he was never taught Indians fought and died in the Great War.

Demands that races are to be represented.  Racism in its purest form, ie, separating and distinguishing races rather than the group whose aims were the same, died for the same reasons and are remembered by the rest of the group.  Not good enough for this guy. 

Just make a school visit to Brighton Pavilion part of the curriculum. Job done. 

27 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Just make a school visit to Brighton Pavilion part of the curriculum. Job done. 

There is a War Memorial to Hindu and Sikh Indian Soldiers who died in the First World War on the South Downs Way.

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/leisure-and-libraries/parks-and-green-spaces/chattri-memorial

It has been there since 1921.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would also highlight the tremendous disconnect between these adjacent paragraphs in the article:

We weren't taught about the Indians in school."

It was a conversation with a patient researching the Commonwealth contribution to World War One that sparked Dr Irfan Malik's interest in finding out about his ancestors.

"Before I knew how much the Indians had contributed, growing up I thought it was very much a white war," he said.

"We weren't taught about the Indians in school."

Growing up in Nottingham, Dr Malik was well aware of Britain's annual Remembrance Day celebrations

That must mean in a British school in Nottingham?  Are the World Wars mentioned to any extent at all in British schools these days or even in those days?

I suggest he can't have been that interested to start with as the information was there if he wanted it.  Until about the mid 1990s (about 20 years ago) a very high percentage of tv, cinema, newspaper etc output was about WW2 plus WW1- including on the So-Called BBC - movies, documentaries, newspaper articles, books and magazines etc.  It tailed off quite a bit after the 1990s.  A lot about people involved from all over the world. 

I assume if anyone wants a focus on Indians in the World Wars then India would likely be a good place to see it - that is if they cover it at all there.

Edited by twocents

5 hours ago, BLOOLOO said:

"I was never interested in history at school. All I saw were white faces I couldn't relate to," she said.

Would one of our white posters like to tell the So-Called BBC:

"I'm not interested in getting to know the migrants in my street. All I see are brown faces I can't relate to."

...and see what happens.

Edited by JoeDavola

32 minutes ago, twocents said:

That must mean in a British school in Nottingham?  Are the World Wars mentioned to any extent at all in British schools these days or even in those days?

I suggest he can't have been that interested to start with as the information was there if he wanted it.  Until about the mid 1990s (about 20 years ago) a very high percentage of tv, cinema, newspaper etc output was about WW2 plus WW1- including on the So-Called BBC - movies, documentaries, newspaper articles, books and magazines etc.  It tailed off quite a bit after the 1990s.  A lot about people involved from all over the world. 

I assume if anyone wants a focus on Indians in the World Wars then India would likely be a good place to see it - that is if they cover it at all there.

The two world wars were not on my O level or A level history syllabus in the 1970s. Mark you the Second World War was barely history then.

British kids now seem to spend an inordinate amout of time studying  Nazi Germany which might explain a  lot about them and their attitudes

http://www.economist.com/node/842541

Edited by Virgil Caine

4 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

What about the non-white people who fought for the Axis powers against the Allies.

I think that's one of the main points to be made.  In addition many recent incomers are from places very anti Britain these days so why would they be interested in the stuff around Remembrance Day.   

In the World Wars most if not all indigenous British people were on the side of Britain.  The same can't be said about places and people elsewhere around the world - they were more divided - except a lot of the Commonwealth had a very high proportion on the same side as Britain.

Edited by twocents