• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Calories Purchased

I've never had the patience to do meal by meal calorie counting, but I thought it would be interesting to track what I purchased for the last month, as an approximation for what I eat (I live alone and mainly eat supermarket food. I guess it wouldn't be so simple for most people). 

Staggeringly, over the last 30 days I have purchased 102,000 calories at an average of 3,400 per day. It surprised me how many calories came from fruit and veg (~20,000). I might have put on a kilo or so (~10,000 cals). I usually skate a couple of times a week (say 500 cals per day, max) and my flat is very cold (14° to 16°) which google tells me might burn 100 or 200 extra calories per day (surprisingly little research on the matter).

I suppose it just about adds up, but I had been thinking my intake was in the low 2000s, and even that maybe I had a slow metabolism. I always used to mock the stupid fat people who underestimated how much they eat, but it turns out I'm one of them.

You could probably make a slightly better estimate of calories eaten be using "items new opened" or packaging "item finished" (or by making an adjustment to purchased items for any unopened items at the beginning and end periods, assuming the partially items even themselves out)

8 minutes ago, eight said:

Is it wrong that I was eating a bag of crisps whilst reading that post?

Anyway, why not just mass of food consumed? Surely you can't gain more weight than you consume, can you?

Other way around -- some foods might be weight in = weight gained, while others might have weight gain=0 whatever you do.  in particular, the hydration of the food is critically important.  eg, artificially sweetened jelly weighs loads but has very few calories (as it is mainly water).  

Interesting!

I was living with a bunch of women some years back and they were all doing Weight Watchers. They were meant to have something like 20 to 25 'points' per day, so I worked out what I'd eaten that day. Mine came to 99 points!

I then to proceeded to work it out in calories, and I was eating something like 4500 a day. I wasn't fat, but did have quite an active job. A particular favourite snack at the time was a whole ciabbata sliced in half, slice a pack of brie onto it, then add a pack of salami and grill the lot. This was 1700 calories.

Just now, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I then to proceeded to work it out in calories, and I was eating something like 4500 a day. I wasn't fat, but did have quite an active job. A particular favourite snack at the time was a whole ciabbata sliced in half, slice a pack of brie onto it, then add a pack of salami and grill the lot. This was 1700 calories.

I wouldn't dream of doing that now but in my 20's and 30's I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I've mentioned before cooking 500g bags of pasta, just for myself. Bulky, starchy carb laden foods like gnocchi, well I don't know if there is an upper limit to how much I could eat in one sitting but I've certainly never discovered it - I always run out of food first.

1 hour ago, eight said:

Is it wrong that I was eating a bag of crisps whilst reading that post?

Anyway, why not just mass of food consumed? Surely you can't gain more weight than you consume, can you?

A pound of butter 3000 calories = is about the amount of calories you need to put on a pound of fat.

A pound of cabbage is 113 calories

44 minutes ago, eight said:

I wouldn't dream of doing that now but in my 20's and 30's I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I've mentioned before cooking 500g bags of pasta, just for myself. Bulky, starchy carb laden foods like gnocchi, well I don't know if there is an upper limit to how much I could eat in one sitting but I've certainly never discovered it - I always run out of food first.

Same here. When I was 25 I could eat 5000 calories in a day without gaining any weight. Now I put on fat if I so much as smell a piece of brie.

1 hour ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Interesting!

I was living with a bunch of women some years back and they were all doing Weight Watchers. They were meant to have something like 20 to 25 'points' per day ....

yeah yeah all very interesting, did you shag any of them ?

2 hours ago, eight said:

My old rowing coach used to say "eat what you want as long as you work it off". He was very pro-pasta. 

51 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

My old rowing coach used to say "eat what you want as long as you work it off". He was very pro-pasta. 

That is a very 1980s attitude.  I think dietary composition is considered much more important these days.

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

That is a very 1980s attitude.  I think dietary composition is considered much more important these days.

I don't know. My kids' swimming coaches are always recommending feeding them lots of pasta. I think competitive swimming training burns through a lot of calories. There's certainly no obesity crisis at the swimming club at any rate.

20 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I don't know. My kids' swimming coaches are always recommending feeding them lots of pasta. I think competitive swimming training burns through a lot of calories. There's certainly no obesity crisis at the swimming club at any rate.

As advice it is straight out of 1985.  I really don't think that it is necessarily a good way to feed an athlete.

[You can get diet really wrong with children and their physiology just copes.  You'll see the effects of bad diet as they reach 30.]

1 hour ago, dgul said:

As advice it is straight out of 1985.  I really don't think that it is necessarily a good way to feed an athlete.

[You can get diet really wrong with children and their physiology just copes.  You'll see the effects of bad diet as they reach 30.]

You may well be right, i’m also of the opinion that processed simple carbs aren’t great (long term). However as advice from professional coaches goes, it’s still current, not terribly dated.

14 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Christ no. All totally fucking insane > too dangerous to fuck people that mental and live with them...
I actually left because I thought one was broken enough to be dangerous.

I house-shared with three nurses. Instead of the existence, most men would fantasise about, the reality hit home as soon as I realised they get the painters in simultaneously.

10 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

You may well be right, i’m also of the opinion that processed simple carbs aren’t great (long term). However as advice from professional coaches goes, it’s still current, not terribly dated.

I still think we've fucked up something somewhere that has left people with compromised or disrupted digestive/immune systems. I can certainly remember demolishing huge portions of chips after swimming as a child along with assorted other junk food and I'm not convinced current problems are a legacy of that. I can't see either that kids would get the energy they need from salmon and asparagus.

I doubt pasta in the short term is a huge issue. Long term it may well be. Huge generalisation but the number of ex junior club 5 day or week swimmers who end up very chunky a decade later us quite something.

Difficult to compare to the general population which are generally chunky too though. 

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

I still think we've fucked up something somewhere that has left people with compromised or disrupted digestive/immune systems. I can certainly remember demolishing huge portions of chips after swimming as a child along with assorted other junk food and I'm not convinced current problems are a legacy of that. I can't see either that kids would get the energy they need from salmon and asparagus.

I suspect it’s a combinatorial effect, with many factors playing a part, like: microbiome seeding, exercise levels, antibiotics, preservatives, pesticides, narrow selections of food, overly refined carbohydrates, pasteurised food, old food (rats live longer the fresher their food is, and mode of preservation makes relatively little difference).

Edited by Hail the Tripod

On 14/11/2017 at 05:23, SNACR said:

I house-shared with three nurses. Instead of the existence, most men would fantasise about, the reality hit home as soon as I realised they get the painters in simultaneously.

It's not cos they're nurses.