• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Housing is not an issue if you are a BBC type earning well above the UK average, especially if you are a mid  50's litigious female presenter or journo who bought properties decades ago. You love this stuff.

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

A lot more insidious than the above even. BTL was unleashed on the public to crowbar property out of private hands and into the landlord sector so that space could be made available for the planned immigration wave. For years it never did make sense (at a societal and even economic level for a govt to push this) until the penny dropped with me and it was seen in that context. 

There is not doubt about from thatcher onwards this has all been planned the screwing over of ordinary working people has been relentless. 

Sickening.

Darlington council (where I have a house) have undertaken to approve any and all planning applications for new houses. It is rumoured they have a 'vision' of Darlington being a major population centre rather than the rather sleepy market town it currently is. It is very difficult to see where the demand for the thousands of new houses will come from, especially as we have been thankfully spared the worst excesses of immigration numbers so far (although I have no doubt that will change). The voice of the people is never taken into account and any objections by outside bodies are dismissed out of hand. Worst part is the decision process is in the hands of people who are paid with money that the council demands off its current residents under threat of 'sending the boys round' if you don't pay.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

And who has a nice little portfolio all rented out to our recent guests and paid for by the taxpayer. 

Unfortunately,I'm dealing with a lawn invasion this morning.Otherwise I'd deal directly with all these allegations of politicians only being in politics for the money.

It's only the successful ones.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And Plymouth which has a stated aim to grow its population from 250k to 300k by building on its green spaces.

How any of the above examples benefit the existing residents baffles me; but then again as national housing and immigration policies make no attempt to benefit existing Britons then why should councils be any different?

More houses also = more council tax. Got to pay those council pensions. Actually for anybody in govt employment more bodies = more money.

4 minutes ago, the gardener said:

In my area of the South East (NE Hampshire) I am aware of over 5000 houses planned over the next few years. The first phases have been completed. That's just for my local council whose geographic area is quite small. According to the So-Called BBC the area is 57% built-on. So little space there is that they are consulting on closing the municipal golf course to turn it into a woodland. The council justifies this by claiming that woodland would be used by all but the golf course is only used by golfers (and hence can't be designated as an urban green space or some such nonsense).

One might point out that if they hadn't already built about 20,000 extra houses over the last two decades there would have been many hundreds of acres of green space available to all. Now we discover that over 80% of this 'necessary' housing is to accommodate immigrants (certainly rings true around here - 10,000 Nepalese anyone?). For what reason is my formerly pleasant environment being raped? (I really hate that expression and would never use it but there really is no other way to describe it with sufficient accuracy).Yesterday it took me 40 minutes to complete a journey of five miles by car. This is not central London - well at least it didn't used to be. One or two roadworks and the entire area is gridlock. Having lived here over 35 years the overcrowding of recent years is beyond a joke. And still they come.

It's gonna be just like the early 90's when the recession hit and there were half finished plots all over the place.

35 minutes ago, eight said:

The really deluded thing is, these people will not look to Darlington as their "home". If the Skerningham development goes ahead, it will be populated by white flight from the South East, commuting to jobs in Newcastle and Durham where they can't afford to buy due to prices being pushed up due to white flight from the South East. Next thing you know, the A1 will become impassible and will need converting to three lanes in a process taking twenty years.

None of these people will spend a single penny in Darlington, except for their council tax of course. Same goes for West Park (Durham/Newcastle again) and Middleton St. George (Teesside). If you've got to get into your car to go shopping you're not going to drive into Darlington when there are far better alternatives a similar drive away. The Skerningham people could just as easily be at the Metro Centre as central Darlington, FFS.

The proposed Skerningham development is a disgrace. I fear that Darlington is changing from the type of town I wanted to live in. I was hoping my house in Low Coniscliffe would be the place I would retire to but there are over 1,500 houses due to be built around the village. It is such as shame and smacks of disdain for current residents by a council who are only interested in money. Don't suppose Ada's place in Middleton Teesdale will be threatened by new developments any time soon and as long as Bill can stagger from his house to Number Twenty 2s all is good in his world. Meanwhile, the docile sheep of Darlington continue to vote in Labour time after time rather than look at the candidates and try to figure out who reflects their best interests.

And annoyingly, as I live in the same area as The Gardener, if you want a small plot of land to build a single house they are like hens teeth. However if I want to build an estate, anything from 10 houses or more the planners make large tracts readily available. 

Edited by sleepwello'nights
define area

10 minutes ago, the gardener said:

- 10,000 Nepalese anyone?). 

Thanks to Joanna Glumley. They could have lived a more comfortable existence in Nepal on their army pension, instead of living on benefits in the UK. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1362426/Gurkhas-UK-living-poverty-convinced-theyre-exploited-head-home.html

6 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Thanks to Joanna Glumley. They could have lived a more comfortable existence in Nepal on their army pension, instead of living on benefits in the UK. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1362426/Gurkhas-UK-living-poverty-convinced-theyre-exploited-head-home.html

That's really sad for both sides.

The Nepalese were fed this image of a Britain of the endless summers of Brideshead Revisited, Downton Abbey and Midsomer Murders so leapt at the chance to come here when the reality is a dingy cold flat on a grotty estate with nothing to do but watch the telly.

Meanwhile the locals already on that estate get pushed down the queue for housing.

Yet another lose lose for immigration.

This is Joanna Lumley's house; maybe she could find room for them.

joanna-lumleys-house.jpg

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/joanna-lumleys-house/

38 minutes ago, onlyme said:

More houses also = more council tax. Got to pay those council pensions. Actually for anybody in govt employment more bodies = more money.

+++ 
And more houses = more council tax because even a poky new build "appartment" is a C band.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Housing is not an issue if you are a BBC type earning well above the UK average, especially if you are a mid 50's presenter or journo who bought properties decades ago. You love this stuff.

I’ve mentioned this before on the TOS when my sister rented out her *second pad in Peckham the rent was £6,000 a month and I thought who an earth could afford to pay that kind of money and it later transpired it was indeed a BBC executive. 

*now sold. 

10 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Exactly the same in Warrington where they want to build 20,000 houses, lord only knows where all these people will work but it won't be in the town/city as there is no room left. Loads of money for the scumbag council and the housebuilders. I could have coped with retiring where I am just about, but now it may end up feeling more like a prison camp. The traditional council estates in the north of the town that still have 1950s social housing have turned into downtown Nairobi over the last 10 years.

My dog walk this morning involved passing about 50 Nepalese, chatting with 2 Spanish dog owners - there's another lives round the corner but she goes earlier, and two French childminders. The only British dog-walker I met hails from oop north and is of African ancestry. I genuinely feel like a foreigner in my own country.

There was a lovely chinese girl walked by mind - gorgeous. Didn't see my Eastern European fantasy woman this morning though - I'd drink her bathwater - and more besides.

Leaving aside the totty though, it does make me feel like a foreigner in my own country. What's it all for?

1 minute ago, the gardener said:

My dog walk this morning involved passing about 50 Nepalese, chatting with 2 Spanish dog owners - there's another lives round the corner but she goes earlier, and two French childminders. The only British dog-walker I met hails from oop north and is of African ancestry. I genuinely feel like a foreigner in my own country.

There was a lovely chinese girl walked by mind - gorgeous. Didn't see my Eastern European fantasy woman this morning though - I'd drink her bathwater - and more besides.

Leaving aside the totty though, it does make me feel like a foreigner in my own country. What's it all for?

What gets me is that all these people have time to walk their dogs and chat whilst I'm here posting on dosbods  working and paying taxes.