• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

shops

well 3 days ago i was haveing a bit of banter with someone at work,they had a pedometer and like a pleb i said doing 10000 steps a day is easy.so they simply said prove it then set it and put it on my belt.so i suddenly find myself walking for the sakes of it.now dont laugh but walking just for the sakes of it is er boreing.so i discovered wandering down every single isle in the tesco hypermarket is nice and warm and further than you think.on my adventures ive visited the range,b and m,and wilkos and by default pretty much finished my christmas shoping.the biggest mystake was buying 12 pints of stella and then realizing id got to walk 1mile home with mr flimsy the flimsy carrier bag.

I like walking in the countryside best because walking in town can, like you say, be boring.

An idea I got from another forum was coin spotting when dog walking in town. Since March I’ve picked up over £23 in coins from the street in my smallish rural town. I know others do much better in bigger towns and cities.

44 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I like walking in the countryside best because walking in town can, like you say, be boring.

An idea I got from another forum was coin spotting when dog walking in town. Since March I’ve picked up over £23 in coins from the street in my smallish rural town. I know others do much better in bigger towns and cities.

Wow!

I used to add this up but got nowhere near this amount.  I always pick up coins, mostly 5ps as they are so small that peopel miss them.

I have though found a fiver and I have heard of several others who have also found one since they went plastic and therefore slippery.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Wow!

I used to add this up but got nowhere near this amount.  I always pick up coins, mostly 5ps as they are so small that peopel miss them.

I have though found a fiver and I have heard of several others who have also found one since they went plastic and therefore slippery.

I’m amazed too. When I started in March I didn’t think I’d find much. I walk a lot in town to shops, sisters, taking dogs etc and now go longer and different routes there and back to places.

Most days I find something. This morning I went to bakers then post office and found two 5ps, one 2p and one 1p. I’ve found one £2 coin and about eight £1 coins so that’s bumped up the total.

I’m more skilled at knowing where to look and noticing them now xD 

I find it fun and it’s increased my town walking considerably.

When I’ve got to £100 I’m putting my findings in premium bonds. Wouldn’t that be a tale to tell if I won a large prize from coins picked up off the street!

Reminds me of an episode of 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners'. This woman was told by her doctor that to aid recovery from a stomach injury she should walk a couple of miles each day. So she started doing it and because she was bored decided to incorporate it with visits to all the charity shops in town. She then became a compulsive hoarder, filling her house with charity shop bargains!

18 hours ago, Thombleached said:

so what was your score?

can do it easily if im off work,however has my job involves siting on a chair doing doing bugger all except reading a book and looking up ocasionaly im going to be proved wrong by the looks of things,take today its blown,its pissing down then ive got to wait in has virgin are puting a new router in between the hours of 12-6 pm.

15 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I quite often see kids just throwing down their loose change when they walk out of the Newsagents.

4 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I quite often see kids just throwing down their loose change when they walk out of the Newsagents.

They used to at the corner shop by us.
They don't seem to respect little bits of money at all.

1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

Don't knock it - my kids are always leaving the odd 10p and 20p lying around. If they leave it, I claim it.

It is my main source of actual cash.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Don't knock it - my kids are always leaving the odd 10p and 20p lying around. If they leave it, I claim it.

Tax the rich!

12 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yours as well? The discarding of perfectly good money was unheard of when I were a nipper. If there was so much as a halfpenny down the back of the sofa I, or my brother, would have found it and splurged it down the corner sweet shop. Kids today!

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

On 17/11/2017 at 00:37, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Yours as well? The discarding of perfectly good money was unheard of when I were a nipper. If there was so much as a halfpenny down the back of the sofa I, or my brother, would have found it and splurged it down the corner sweet shop. Kids today!

My sister tried to throw away some coppers in the 80s and got a right bollocking from all of us.

1 hour ago, This Time said:

My sister tried to throw away some coppers in the 80s and got a right bollocking from all of us.

Too right.  It's illegal to throw away currency.   You're lucky the police didn't find out.

On 16 November 2017 at 12:25, Cunning Plan said:

My best winnings are found in the washing machine. I have a nice little stash of coins that haven't been emptied from pockets.

On 15 November 2017 at 19:22, Economic Exile said:

I loved that thread. I think it was the one about paying off the mortgage with 2 pence that they'd found. 

Yes, that’s the thread on TOS. One night I read that thread from start to finish and many posts made me laugh but it also inspired me to coin spot. I find it good fun and it does encourage me to walk more around my town.

Since my post less than a week ago when I stated I’d found over £23 of coins on the street I’m very pleased to report I’ve had a really good week. I was delighted a couple of days ago to spot a 20p then two 50p’s within two minutes. It’s a rare day when I don’t even spot 1p!

Now over £25. A quarter of my target to buy a block of premium bonds.

I often wonder how many coins are lying on the streets of the uk when I can easily gather up that amount just by walking around my fairly small rural town in an eight month timescale.

Come to germany, you can collect the empties from the streets and parks and reclaim the 25c deposit at the supermarket. Lots of down and outs live by it. I haven't tried it, but you should be able to make a few quid per day.

Edited by steppensheep

my record stands at selling a 1068 derby minted william the 1st penny for 700 quid and a celtic quater stator for 320 with which i bought 1000 tw. shares with at 32p which are roughly worth 196 each has off today ,but i surpose that counts has cheating mind ive never thought about inflation em.

When I was a young teen I (+ mates) used to be paid by the local farmer to go over the town's show-field after a show to pick up the litter, but particularly to pick up all the drinks can ring-pulls that had been thrown (apparently cows would eat them and then die).   We'd make more from the coins (and often notes) that we'd pick up than we were actually paid.

In my 20s, when I lived in London, on a Friday we'd pick a fancy wine bar in the area and then park up on the comfy sofas at the back -- generally we'd just about pay for our booze from the coins we'd find down the back of the chairs*.

[* we'd find loads of scummy stuff too -- I wouldn't do it now...]

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

When I was a young teen I (+ mates) used to be paid by the local farmer to go over the town's show-field after a show to pick up the litter, but particularly to pick up all the drinks can ring-pulls that had been thrown (apparently cows would eat them and then die).   We'd make more from the coins (and often notes) that we'd pick up than we were actually paid.

In my 20s, when I lived in London, on a Friday we'd pick a fancy wine bar in the area and then park up on the comfy sofas at the back -- generally we'd just about pay for our booze from the coins we'd find down the back of the chairs*.

[* we'd find loads of scummy stuff too -- I wouldn't do it now...]

When I was a lad we tried to get all the coins that had fallen down the back of the waltzer at the fairground.

Probably the most dangerous job ever - it the ride operator caught you, a serious kicking was the only possible outcome.