• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Pickled Onions

Dissatisfied with the high sugar content in shop bought premium pickled onions I have decided the solution is to manufacture my own. Has anyone got any quick way to peel the onions? - I've bought a 25kg sack which TBH I think is going to be more peeling than I'II be able to tolerate. Are there catering machines you can buy to do them?

Any other onion pickling related tips welcomed

Google says:

To peel a lot of onions easily (especially the smaller varieties for pickling) and WITHOUT THE TEARS simply bring a saucepan two-thrids full of water, with 1 teaspoon of salt, to the boil. Add the onions and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain into a colander and plunge immediately into cold water.

I am not sure exactly how that helps - think it is more a tear thing than a peeling thing.

The Easy Way to Peel Pickling Onions:

Peeling pickling onions is fiddly and time-consuming. To speed up the process, top and tail the onions, then place the onions in a large heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Leave to cool, and once the water is cool, hey presto, the skins will just rub away. Then, drain and pat the onions dry with kitchen paper. Do not leave in the water once cool or the onions will start to go mushy when you preserve them.

Once dried, proceed with the recipe:

https://www.thespruce.com/easy-pickled-onions-recipe-435765

It's not like you need to peel and dice them. Just get your full face mask on and get chopping!

3m-safety-B000X4R45W-69P71-main-lg.jpg

EDIT : I had thought of them as normal sized onions but yeah, if you have 25 kilos of little ones I can see your point!

Edited by Carl Fimble
idiocy again

Might be a false alarm as a woman in my office seems quite keen on taking them home and doing them whilst watching the telly as paid overtime. I am worried now I might have to build in some bonus incentive to ensure they turn out crunchy in case she cuts corners with this boiling trick though.

13 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Might be a false alarm as a woman in my office seems quite keen on taking them home and doing them whilst watching the telly as paid overtime. I am worried now I might have to build in some bonus incentive to ensure they turn out crunchy in case she cuts corners with this boiling trick though.

I think you are very enlightened. I would need 100% control of the crunchiness. In my experience the women I have known have not appreciated the level of crunchiness in a pickled onion that a man does. Having said that, I do recall as a yonugster my Mum and other women doing that female competitive thing with pickled onions and waiting wit baited breath to be told that they were nice and crunchy.

This woman could fail you miserably or surpass your wildest pickled dreams.

I've no ideas for nifty peeling but Mr Dipsy's gran used to make fantastic pickled onions, loved going to visit her at Christmas, she's always give us a few jars to take away. 

Acceptable shop bought ones can usually be discovered if you read the label carefully and only buy ones that are pickled in vinegar rather the very dilute vinegar solution that means you have to keep them in the fridge after opening and eat within three days.

Also applicable for pickled red cabbage or beetroot.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Dissatisfied with the high sugar content in shop bought premium pickled onions I have decided the solution is to manufacture my own. Has anyone got any quick way to peel the onions? - I've bought a 25kg sack which TBH I think is going to be more peeling than I'II be able to tolerate. Are there catering machines you can buy to do them?

Use gloves.

Dry the onions. FIL puts them in the attic for a few days of hot weather. 
Salt, rinse and dry - 24 hour salting
Pickle with brown sugar, spiced vinegar.

I've got 10kg of shallots I need to do!  I grew them!
Suspect I need to take them to my mum for her to do as I am having my arm chopped about very soon. Also have a freezer full of fruit that needs jamming.

Edited by sarahbell

25 kilos (minus skins) of picked onions??? Count me impressed.

If you don't need industrial quantities though, couldn't you purchase the nasty sweet ones, switch the liquid for spirit vinegar, and then wait a week?

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I suspect he is planning to leave them in a bin liner under a bridge on the M1.

Or maybe @SNACRis planning to give every dosboder a nice jar of home made pickled onions for a Christmas present xD

5 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Or maybe @SNACRis planning to give every dosboder a nice jar of home made pickled onions for a Christmas present xD

I'd had it suggested that I make pickled onions and jam and flavoured vodka for everyone for christmas: A mini hamper ... 

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Also have a freezer full of fruit that needs jamming.

It's a shame Bob is no longer with us. He'd be up for that I'm sure.

12 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I'd had it suggested that I make pickled onions and jam and flavoured vodka for everyone for christmas: A mini hamper ... 

I think that’s a lovely idea for presents. Easy to make your own nice labels etc these days.

Much much nicer than most shop bought stuff

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Use gloves.

Suspect I need to take them to my mum for her to do as I am having my arm chopped about very soon. Also have a freezer full of fruit that needs jamming.

16 minutes ago, NTB said:

It's a shame Bob is no longer with us. He'd be up for that I'm sure.

I have a couple of friends I'm going to ask if they want to take it away. 

We're jarring honey tomorrow and I might manage to make some jam.  Well it'll involve conning someone to do all the stirring so I don't know if I'm best just passing all the fruit to someone who'll get on with it.

22 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I have a couple of friends I'm going to ask if they want to take it away. 

We're jarring honey tomorrow and I might manage to make some jam.  Well it'll involve conning someone to do all the stirring so I don't know if I'm best just passing all the fruit to someone who'll get on with it.

Makes sense, particularly if they will give you a jar or two. What's happerning with your arm?

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

Google tells me an average onion weighs 110 grams, so in a 25KG bag you're looking at 227 onions!

I love a cheese butty with homemade onions more than most, but that would be a lifetime supply for me.  Are they all for you?

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

My Dad does these annually and soaks them first; doesn't do the boiling thing. They're then easier to peel by hand.

You can also peel them underwater to stop your eyes hurting.

Not very efficient if you keep having to resurface to breathe

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Use gloves.

This but I think there is a step missing. 

I do them every year by the following method:

• buy small onions - nicer than the large ones but this is personal taste 
  • top and tail with a sharp knife 
  • plonk in sink of hand hot water to soften skin
  • pull out one at a tim, peel and dry on clean tea towel - it is this point that you need an industrial gas mask if you can source one
  • when peeled and dried, put in large bowl and sprinkle liberally with ordinary cheap table salt
  • cover with cloth and leave overnight. This draws out the moisture making them crunchy. 
  • Rinse and dry next day
  • bung in the glass jars you have been saving all year
  • pour on quality malt vinegar. Add spice to taste
  • dont leave too long before eating but don't start for a couple of weeks