• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Scotland encourages home brewing

The complaint on the radio was that strong cider can be bought for 18p a unit so to reduce "problem" drinking a minimum pricing of 50p per unit is being introduced; that's one hell of a jump.

My regular tipples, Lidl's two premium lagers, are 2.1 units per can with one being about £2.75 for four and the other about £2.85.

So that pushes them both up to £4.20 for the four, a £1.45 / £1.35 increase and having not bothered to homebrew lager at 40p a pint when I can buy it for 70p if it's going to cost me £1 a pint then that's worth doing.

The 50p looks far too high for me if the problem is 18p per unit pricing; what's wrong with 30p?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41981909

More nannying and stupidity from the state.

Sensible drinkers will have to pay more for a tipple in an attempt to curb problem drinking.

It won’t work. I can’t imagine many problem drinkers saying oh this is too expensive now so I’ll drink less! They’ll either pay up or look to alternatives like home brewing.

There are drunk and disordlerly laws. This is aimed at street drinkers. Use the existing fucking laws.

Easiest way to stop it would be to serve asbos on drunks. And ban benefits from asbos.

Sorted.

Back to the turbo cider threads.

40 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The complaint on the radio was that strong cider can be bought for 18p a unit so to reduce "problem" drinking a minimum pricing of 50p per unit is being introduced; that's one hell of a jump.

My regular tipples, Lidl's two premium lagers, are 2.1 units per can with one being about £2.75 for four and the other about £2.85.

So that pushes them both up to £4.20 for the four, a £1.45 / £1.35 increase and having not bothered to homebrew lager at 40p a pint when I can buy it for 70p if it's going to cost me £1 a pint then that's worth doing.

The 50p looks far too high for me if the problem is 18p per unit pricing; what's wrong with 30p?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41981909

Ditto!

These Health Nazis like to make an example... Politicians like power and being 'seen to be doing something' - no matter how ridiculous, blunt or ill-conceived. It will in time be the norm across the UK, and being a tax of sorts will only ever go up! I really wish they would leave us only to enjoy our few pleasures in life on our limited budgets.

See also 20mph speed limits cropping up everywhere (unenforceable, pollution creating and often without reasonable justification) - why not 25mph?

Sick of it! Wish they would piss off!! A reason why I'm not keen on NHS being given ever increasing funding as it ends up funding lobbying, nannying and general troughing by a few zealots.

I'm actually kinda for this. I don't like the SNP meddling but see the sense in this. We do have problems with drink up here, this may help some, I suspect problem drinkers will find a way though. People in prison manage to make booze so I'm sure a determined jakey on the outside should have no problems. Will this legislation lead to homemade vodka blinding people though? 

Yeah, talked myself out of this again, I'm not for this, I am for trying to help alkies and lessen the harm and expense they cause. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm actually kinda for this. I don't like the SNP meddling but see the sense in this. We do have problems with drink up here, this may help some, I suspect problem drinkers will find a way though.

Maybe.

But most studies into the effect of alcohol pricing suggest that pricing doesn't have much impact on beer/cider consumption.

20 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm actually kinda for this. I don't like the SNP meddling but see the sense in this. We do have problems with drink up here, this may help some, I suspect problem drinkers will find a way though. People in prison manage to make booze so I'm sure a determined jakey on the outside should have no problems. Will this legislation lead to homemade vodka blinding people though? 

Yeah, talked myself out of this again, I'm not for this, I am for trying to help alkies and lessen the harm and expense they cause. 

Dont give alcis benefits.

Enforce vagrancy laws.

12 minutes ago, Panther said:

Wouldn't it be better to restrict outlets selling alcohol instead, to give these sad sacks a bit of exercise too.

Alcohol is too widely available nowadays,I think this is a big problem.

I can remember my Dad going to the off-sales at the local Pub to buy 4 cans of Slalom Lager as there wasn't many places where you could buy alcohol in the 70s and 80s.

Edited by M S E Refugee

10 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Good time to open an offie in Carlisle.

That's where I live.

Pubs in Carlisle were owned by the Government in Carlisle up until the 70s it was started to curb Scottish drunkeness during the First World War in the munitions factories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Management_Scheme

Edited by M S E Refugee

3 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Never mind homebrew, dodgy distilleries will make hay. 

Dead easy to do, had a load of elderberry wine was not quite right years ago. Bunged it in the steam wallpaper stripper (made of food grade polypropylene) made a condensing pipe out ot two pieces of copper tube, one inside the other with two drilled 2p coins as end stops soldered on to make the heat exchanger. Assembled the together turned it on, watched the temperature rise with a laser thermometer (two plateaus) the first one is the bad stuff, the second one is the good stuff.

Bingo, highly inflammable elderberry schnaps.

The Scottish are doing everything possible to make whisky manufacture a national passtime.

22 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Yeah, Booze Cruises to England. Big across the border supermarket. People will find a way round it.

I live over the border not far from Gretna. When I was in my late teens and Scottish pubs closed at 10pm there were always weekend car dashes to Gretna where closing time was 10.30pm. There was never any problem getting a lift as so many people went.

Bloody dangerous as most drivers were over the limit for driving!

1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

That's where I live.

Pubs in Carlisle were owned by the Government in Carlisle up until the 70s it was started to curb Scottish drunkeness during the First World War in the munitions factories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Management_Scheme

Didn't know that, interesting.

However, speaking as someone born in Westmorland I'm more inclined to believe excessive drinking in Carlisle was more likely caused by the sheer desperation and trauma of being in Cumberland. 

4 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Alcoholics should be told the harsh truth about addressing their addiction. Quitting and staying stopped is the only way in most cases.

Being counselled to learn to control drinking, keeping drinking diaries etc is just enabling addicts to keep drinking IMO. They’re alcoholics because they can no longer control their alcohol intake!

Minimum pricing will do nothing or very little to stop alcoholics drinking.

Can confirm. More expensive booze would have made no difference to the amount i used to drink, it would just have made me poorer.

Meanwhile there will be booze warehouses opening up just on the English side of the border, like Tobacco Alley in Adinkerke, I reckon. Frankly I'm pretty tempted to get in on the act myself as I'm sure it will be very lucrative, but as a recovering alky I can't really go facilitating other people's addiction to the stuff.

16 hours ago, Rave said:

Can confirm. More expensive booze would have made no difference to the amount i used to drink, it would just have made me poorer.

Meanwhile there will be booze warehouses opening up just on the English side of the border, like Tobacco Alley in Adinkerke, I reckon. Frankly I'm pretty tempted to get in on the act myself as I'm sure it will be very lucrative, but as a recovering alky I can't really go facilitating other people's addiction to the stuff.

I read about your struggles on the other site. So glad you’re abstaining.Count yourself amongst the minority who stop and stay stopped. IME few of us make it!

Like you, having had the problem myself, I feel it would be wrong to cash in smuggling and selling cheaper booze in Scotland although I guess there would be money to be made.

Christopher Snowdon on Twitter is worth following on the nanny state.

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/looking-forward-to-minimum-pricing.html

Alcohol consumption has been falling - particularly in Scotland, without hiking the price. As with Climate Change (East Anglia), another University, Sheffield, being disengenuous and somewhat zealous with its alcohol analysis.

Dick Puddlecote blog too...

https://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/another-triumph-for-repulsive-elitist.html

20 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Christopher Snowdon on Twitter is worth following on the nanny state.

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/looking-forward-to-minimum-pricing.html

Alcohol consumption has been falling - particularly in Scotland, without hiking the price. As with Climate Change (East Anglia), another University, Sheffield, being disengenuous and somewhat zealous with its alcohol analysis.

Dick Puddlecote blog too...

https://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/another-triumph-for-repulsive-elitist.html

Interesting but I’m of the opinion that in general politicians, civil servants, public sector workers, psychiatrists, psychologists and counsellors don’t really care how many alcoholics die. They all have good pay and can pontificate about how best to solve a “problem”.

Do any death certificates have alcohol as the cause? I don’t think so. It’s all bullshit.

As I said upthread minimum pricing policy will not reduce drinking amongst problem drinkers.

I don’t have an answer to prevent alcoholism but I do think the cure, for those who really want it, is to be hard hitting and promote total abstinence as the only way for most people. Forget counselling to control it and don’t pay benefits to those who have failed to abstain after a year or max eighteen months. The last sentence only applies if a support network is in place to help all people who really desire to quit their addiction. Currently it doesn’t exist. Eight weeks or more to see a counsellor. No good. If someone wants to quit they need to be seen that day or the next and have available support for months.