• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Film music.

I thought this was incredible...babel - ace film

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Ohh, film music. I'm quite a fan of soundtracks.

I think the definitive one is Trainspotting, what a selection of tunes.

Yup great soundtrack...

On 08/04/2017 at 22:53, Sgt Hartman said:

The Trainspotting soundtrack is brilliant. I'm also quite partial to the Donny Darko soundtrack. 

On 08/04/2017 at 22:53, Sgt Hartman said:

Brilliant soundtrack, chart to my 20s lol.  Went to see Trainspotting on release at the Cornerhouse in manc, it was like a gig, brilliant atmosphere.

... not actually seen TS2 as cba.

Natural Born Killers has a very, very good soundtrack too - produced by Trent Reznor (of NIN fame) if I remember correctly ...

27 minutes ago, JFK said:

Brilliant soundtrack, chart to my 20s lol.  Went to see Trainspotting on release at the Cornerhouse in manc, it was like a gig, brilliant atmosphere.

... not actually seen TS2 as cba.

Natural Born Killers has a very, very good soundtrack too - produced by Trent Reznor (of NIN fame) if I remember correctly ...

Yeah NBK has a great soundtrack, my neighbour leant me the CD not too long ago!

'Black Hawk Down' has some very atmospheric music. I'm a big fan of quite melancholic, emotive music in soundtracks and that's a good one. Another is Adagio in D minor from 'Sunshine'.

Honourable mentions to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack and pretty much anything by Hans Zimmer. He toured last year and I was most pissed not to get a ticket. 

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

'Black Hawk Down' has some very atmospheric music. I'm a big fan of quite melancholic, emotive music in soundtracks and that's a good one. Another is Adagio in D minor from 'Sunshine'.

Honourable mentions to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack and pretty much anything by Hans Zimmer. He toured last year and I was most pissed not to get a ticket. 

Again, this is so full of classic brilliant tunes.

Who can forget the opening scene to Pulp Fiction (went to see it on release with my dad ... who fucking fell asleep! I was rivited. It was an astounding film, still is) and Dick Dale's geeeeetars

People have already mentioned Ennio Morricone, I had quite a few of the spaghetti western soundtracks on casette (remember that kids!), used to play them in the lab I used to work in as it had a shit radio reception, good times.

1 minute ago, JFK said:

People have already mentioned Ennio Morricone, I had quite a few of the spaghetti western soundtracks on casette (remember that kids!), used to play them in the lab I used to work in as it had a shit radio reception, good times.

I loved the spaghetti westerns. :)

Just now, One percent said:

I loved the spaghetti westerns. :)

They're great films. I'm not fond of the more cheesy westerns (my dad used to watch them, they were just shit - the ones wtih John Wayne in et al). I'm thinking of the classic Clint Eastwood films, the score, the cinematography, the camerwork is genius.

The Unforgiven was a fucking great, gritty bastard of a film. I love that one too.

2 minutes ago, JFK said:

They're great films. I'm not fond of the more cheesy westerns (my dad used to watch them, they were just shit - the ones wtih John Wayne in et al). I'm thinking of the classic Clint Eastwood films, the score, the cinematography, the camerwork is genius.

The Unforgiven was a fucking great, gritty bastard of a film. I love that one too.

Yep, those are the ones, with Clint in his poncho. The dollar films iirc. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yep, those are the ones, with Clint in his poncho. The dollar films iirc. 

There's so many brilliant films. All of Sergio Leone's westerns are just classic. It's the whole shebang - the landscape, the cracking soundtracks. Clint it perfectly cast.

Once upon a time in the west is one of my faves too.

Can't beat The good, the bad and ugly. For a rainy sunday afternoon!

21 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Pulp Fiction is excellent as a movie and a soundtrack. I also love Gladiator, more for the music than the film. 

46 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Pulp Fiction is excellent as a movie and a soundtrack. I also love Gladiator, more for the music than the film. 

Yeah that 'Now we are Free' song makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

If you liked that have a listen to some of Black Hawk Down, it's a bit more melancholy but has the same effect.

Another gorgeous song from an equally fabulous film.

Explorers soundtrack was surprisingly stirring, in fact, I'II have to turn it off now before I've involuntarily dismantled the washing machine and tried to turn it into a spaceship.

BBC4, tonight, 8pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bm2fy

In the last of three programmes in which composer Neil Brand celebrates the art of cinema music, Neil explores how changing technology has taken soundtracks in bold new directions and even altered our very idea of how a film should sound.

Neil tells the story of how the 1956 science fiction film Forbidden Planet ended up with a groundbreaking electronic score that blurred the line between music and sound effects, and explains why Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds has one of the most effective soundtracks of any of his films - despite having no music. He shows how electronic music crossed over from pop into cinema with Midnight Express and Chariots of Fire, while films like Apocalypse Now pioneered the concept of sound design - that sound effects could be used for storytelling and emotional impact.

Neil tracks down some of the key composers behind these innovations to talk about their work, such as Vangelis (Chariots of Fire, Blade Runner), Carter Burwell (Twilight, No Country for Old Men) and Clint Mansell (Requiem for a Dream, Moon).