• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

Ken Hom's Fucking Wok

Have an original Ken Hom carbon steel wok from the late 1980s and a new Ken Hom non-stick wok.

The non-stick bit is anything but non-stick and always has a residue that has to be virtually scoured off yet my seasoned vintage carbon steel one performs much better in the non-stick department.

Ken Hom you have sold out to marketing, the old low tech one is much better, just clean and oil it after use.

Then again that (oiling your wok after use) is too much for modern day mongs to understand.

ken hom wok.jpg

4 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Avoid cheap non sticks woks. Get a stainless steel jobbie. Had mine for many years and its used all the time.

As with most cook hardware, look at what you can afford, then buy the next level up. You will benefit and recognize your genius in years to come.

6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Spatula is nearly as old as the Mary Rose as it is at least 30 years old and I am rather attached to it. It has been banged on Ken Hom's rim that many times it has worn thin in the middle. I don't know what I will do mentally when it snaps!

I'm more concerned that the Teflon wok has a flat base :( I can't see the other's base due to the experiment taking place

31HlyaedDcL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Edited by Hopeful

39 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Spatula is nearly as old as the Mary Rose as it is at least 30 years old and I am rather attached to it. It has been banged on Ken Hom's rim that many times it has worn thin in the middle. I don't know what I will do mentally when it snaps!

In our hotel we go through pans and knives surprisingly quickly and losing each in turn is a trauma. The worst of all though was a pair of tongs - I am still not over that loss. It beaks my heart too when our other chef has been cooking and as well as not putting things back in same place (see other thread) sometimes knives show sign of abuse - eg bent point.

I think it was the guy on tos who was drinking strong coffee with half a stick of butter melted into it that advised against using teflon coated woks because the coating falls off and ends up in your food with resultant health concerns. Replaced non stick wok with carbon steel chinaland one off ebay and it seems pretty good.

59 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I broke a faithful wooden spatula a few months ago, and I can tell you, it's a harder thing to deal with than most people understand until it's happened to them. Worse, mine died at my own hand after some incompetent utensil drawer management caused said spatula to block the drawer from opening. I had to choose between murdering the spatula or losing the drawer forever.

It's a cruel world sometimes.

I bought a Stainless pan and follwoed the instructions on oiling it. Mrs Loo wasnt impressed at all insisting on cleaning it properly...everything stuck to it.

5 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I broke a faithful wooden spatula a few months ago, and I can tell you, it's a harder thing to deal with than most people understand until it's happened to them. Worse, mine died at my own hand after some incompetent utensil drawer management caused said spatula to block the drawer from opening. I had to choose between murdering the spatula or losing the drawer forever.

It's a cruel world sometimes.

I have decided that its replacement will be hand carved by myself from a piece of wood I will personally select so I can mentally re-attach myself.

2 minutes ago, BLOOLOO said:

I bought a Stainless pan and follwoed the instructions on oiling it. Mrs Loo wasnt impressed at all insisting on cleaning it properly...everything stuck to it.

A wok has to have a high temperature oily patina burn't into it, Mrs Loo needs reducating.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

A wok has to have a high temperature oily patina burn't into it, Mrs Loo needs reducating.

cant be done.  If its oily, she cleans it and I get daggers eyes. If I put it away, she'll check it.  Cant win.

10 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have decided that its replacement will be hand carved by myself from a piece of wood I will personally select so I can mentally re-attach myself.

That's a nice idea. It's what the old one would have wanted.

I vaguely recall a TV prog where Ken was wandering around some Asian street looking at the various street kitchens, picked up a well-used wok and gave a talk about how the non-stick metal was preferable. Talked about how not to wash a wok ever but to wipe it out with paper and how, over time, that would create a better cooking surface.

Health & safety would not allow that these days.

41 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Eight's got all sorts of scrap wood from, whatever it is he makes, something model railway related I'd guess.

5 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Eight's got all sorts of scrap wood from, whatever it is he makes, something model railway related I'd guess.

I had a big clearout, and consequently only have 90% of it left.

33 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I vaguely recall a TV prog where Ken was wandering around some Asian street looking at the various street kitchens, picked up a well-used wok and gave a talk about how the non-stick metal was preferable. Talked about how not to wash a wok ever but to wipe it out with paper and how, over time, that would create a better cooking surface.

Health & safety would not allow that these days.

Problem with my wok is I use it for regular cooking like chilli con carne etc. and every time you do that the acid in the tomatoes basically returns it to its pre-seasoned state. We don't really do stir frys and the like anyway so I can live with that.