• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

The Tories clearly have no appetite for power left

1 minute ago, shindigger said:

https://www.ft.com/content/5aa111ce-c633-11e7-b2bb-322b2cb39656

Absolutely unreal if he does this.

Quite a clever policy, really.

Bring in more money.  Hardly any votes affected.  Not even employees affected (pretty much, for an £80k turnover).

Their main problem (that I don't think they've thought through properly) is that it will surely affect some of the newly 'self-employed' tax-credits scamsters.   These will then close their business (oh no!  small businesses hammered by Brexit!) and put them back onto benefits (oh no!  underemployment is up!).  Still, those people closing their nail-bars will also be a net gain for the budget (and economy in general).

Not really. I guess youre ok with paying 20% more for the labour on your next boiler install?

Adding extra admin, and costs to your average tory voting plumber.

They seem to be doing their best to alienate every traditional tory in the land.

Crazy.

Was talking to a carpet fitter who is trying to stay below the current threshold so turning down work. I suspect the unintended consequences of this will be more cash in hand and people actually working less, down to the new threshold, and increased tax credit demand. Sheesh! 

FWIW, I'm below the threshold but registered for VAT to take advantage of flat rate scheme. I don't find it onerous at all, but then my clients are businesses and my transaction numbers are very low. 

9 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Was talking to a carpet fitter who is trying to stay below the current threshold so turning down work. I suspect the unintended consequences of this will be more cash in hand and people actually working less, down to the new threshold, and increased tax credit demand. Sheesh! 

FWIW, I'm below the threshold but registered for VAT to take advantage of flat rate scheme. I don't find it onerous at all, but then my clients are businesses and my transaction numbers are very low. 

If the threshold is reduced to £20k there will be no option to work less. It will be inflationary at the very least.

3 minutes ago, shindigger said:

If the threshold is reduced to £20k there will be no option to work less. It will be inflationary at the very least.

Black economy. Although they'll probably ban cash when they realise the consequences. 

26 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Not really. I guess youre ok with paying 20% more for the labour on your next boiler install?

Adding extra admin, and costs to your average tory voting plumber.

They seem to be doing their best to alienate every traditional tory in the land.

Crazy.

I'm not saying I think it is a good policy -- I'm saying that it is a clever policy from the point of the politicians.

You seem to think that politicians care about the ability of a small business to thrive.  For the modern politician it is only about votes.  As a 'standard' voter I won't see any of the complexities around the taxation of the service.  I might see my bill increasing*, but I'll put that down to inflation and get cross about Brexit or whatever the So-Called BBC tells me.  The only people who'll be cross about it will be the genuine small business, and there just aren't enough of them to impact on votes.

[* Oh, and it won't immediately increase bills by anything substantial.  Prices are dictated by the ability of the customer to pay.  So it is the profit of the small business that'll be hit.]

30 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'm not saying I think it is a good policy -- I'm saying that it is a clever policy from the point of the politicians.

You seem to think that politicians care about the ability of a small business to thrive.  For the modern politician it is only about votes.  As a 'standard' voter I won't see any of the complexities around the taxation of the service.  I might see my bill increasing*, but I'll put that down to inflation and get cross about Brexit or whatever the So-Called BBC tells me.  The only people who'll be cross about it will be the genuine small business, and there just aren't enough of them to impact on votes.

[* Oh, and it won't immediately increase bills by anything substantial.  Prices are dictated by the ability of the customer to pay.  So it is the profit of the small business that'll be hit.]

So small businesses profits will be hit then? Right. We agree.

We'll have to see how the rest of your theory plays out at the ballot box. 

If there was a wrong message to send out to your core vote, other than threatening to nick pensioners equity, this would be it. 

Title of thread is "have the Tories no appetite for power"?

These 2 moves suggest that they most certainly don't. My small dorset town is awash with tradesmen, all of whom to a man would be Tory voters. There are signs Corbyn is making ground here amongst the young. Shit like this will only galvanise him.  

It's a clever policy if they're trying to get off the pot, yes.

And as for closing down nail bars etc, if the business is turning over 20k it should be considered genuine anyway. If it's turning over less it won't be hit anyway. This is an attack on genuine small business and the genuine self employed. The end goal is reportedly forcing all sole traders turning over more than 10k to file a return every quarter. The fucking personal allowance is more than that ffs.

Edited by shindigger

23 minutes ago, dgul said:

I might see my bill increasing*, but I'll put that down to inflation and get cross about Brexit or whatever the So-Called BBC tells me. 

They can do what they like and blame it all on brexit! 

Put this policy alongside  the following attempt by Sajid Javid to smear home owners for having the temerity to pay off their mortgages and you can see why the Tory's are done

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5088317/Cabinet-split-housing-Hammond-spar.html

Of course, it has nothing to do with politicians or governments policies about planning, housebuilding, allowing credit bubbles and failing to build any substantial amount of public housing to rent.

Frankly if I want Commies in power then I can vote for a real one in  Corbyn   

8 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Put this policy alongside  the following attempt by Sajid Javid to smear home owners for having the temerity to pay off their mortgages and you can see why the Tory's are done

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5088317/Cabinet-split-housing-Hammond-spar.html

Of course, it has nothing to do with politicians or governments policies about planning, housebuilding, allowing credit bubbles and failing to build any substantial amount of public housing to rent.

Frankly if I want Commies in power then I can vote for a real one in  Corbyn   

He can fuck right off. How dare he.  Yep, we don't have a mortgage and haven't for about ten years. This is because we made a conscious decision to pay it down.  Camping holidays and running bangers for years so that we could chip away at the mortgage. 

These fucking shysters are coming for every last bit of money held by individuals aren't they. 

Bastard used to be an investment banker. Arse hole. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

More good news, great!

So I'm to be a fucking tax collector for the government?

Fuck sake, I only voted tory once, at the last election. This to me makes them totally useless- worse than that in fact. So the blue ones, the red ones, the orange ones and the yellow ones are all no use to me now...

This is bullshit, fuck them all. Cunts.

Well serves you right. :P  you should have voted for comrade dustbin. 

Oh, wait...  xD

Wait until you read about his plans to reduce the greenbelt...

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Quite a clever policy, really.

Bring in more money.  Hardly any votes affected.  Not even employees affected (pretty much, for an £80k turnover).

Their main problem (that I don't think they've thought through properly) is that it will surely affect some of the newly 'self-employed' tax-credits scamsters.   These will then close their business (oh no!  small businesses hammered by Brexit!) and put them back onto benefits (oh no!  underemployment is up!).  Still, those people closing their nail-bars will also be a net gain for the budget (and economy in general).

Huh? There are 2.5m s/e people (not companies) registered for VAT in this country. That's a LOT of people to piss off.

There's also the fallacy of raising taxes = higher tax take. When in reality raising taxes = lower tax take as people just go out of their way to avoid the hike.

They are talking about it being set at £43k turnover, maybe my customers will want to pay for the materials separately, and maybe I will move to platinum service (and price) rather than silver service or whatever I'm doing now is.

High profit margins are where it's at if they are gonna push this shit. I think?

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

They are talking about it being set at £43k turnover, maybe my customers will want to pay for the materials separately, and maybe I will move to platinum service (and price) rather than silver service or whatever I'm doing now is.

High profit margins are where it's at if they are gonna push this shit. I think?

This is exactly what my cousin does. He collects all the materials from the local, not chain, builders merchants. Presents the client with two bills, one for his labour and one an invoice from the builders merchant. The client then goes and pays this bill independently. 

Works well and the only money passing through his hands is for his labour. 

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Wait until you read about his plans to reduce the greenbelt...

Huh? There are 2.5m s/e people (not companies) registered for VAT in this country. That's a LOT of people to piss off.

There's also the fallacy of raising taxes = higher tax take. When in reality raising taxes = lower tax take as people just go out of their way to avoid the hike.

They are somehow building on the greenbelt surround the western edge of Edinburgh. Work hasnt started yet but all the years of campaigning from the people around the area has come to nothing it seems. The areas surrounding it are posh af too, I am surprised and pissed off now. It seems all politicians do now is bad stuff 

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

It's bollocks though, all this jumping through hoops shit. 

As always the dodgy bastards will be getting away with running all sorts of scams while honest people have to pay, or contort themselves round the idiocy of "our" "leaders".

We need a hero, or we need to all start making things difficult for them. I once read that the Irish beat the British by being unadministratable (sp?), too difficult to manage more of less. 

If people had the balls, and knew loads of others were doing the same, they could force change by refusing to cooperate, or by cooperating really slowly even.

It does seem these days that every single thing I hear about the government doing is something stupid, shit or dangerous, or all three.

I think that the time to be honest is long gone. Yes be honest and trustworthy with those you come into personal contact with. Anybody in authority, lie through your teeth. They, not us, have broken the social contract. I feel no guilt whatsoever now. If I can get away with not paying tax, it makes me smile thinking well that's a bit less to give to the unproductive. 

The first question I ask of anybody doing any work for me is, cash?  

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think that the time to be honest is long gone. Yes be honest and trustworthy with those you come into personal contact with. Anybody in authority, lie through your teeth. They, not us, have broken the social contract. I feel no guilt whatsoever now. If I can get away with not paying tax, it makes me smile thinking well that's a bit less to give to the unproductive. 

The first question I ask of anybody doing any work for me is, cash?  

Good, that you are keen to pay cash. I am too, and quite a few of my customers are as well, I put EVERYTHING through though, even a 1p bank transfer!

Maybe I will start another business, I shouldn't have to fanny about with anything other than my business though- that alone is enough to keep me busy without having to deal with their shit too. 

ps What was your 10,000th post? Did you make it a good one?

Ten thousand in less than a year! 

Edited by Carl Fimble
bit about you posting loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads, and loads, fucking hell- how big is this text box. Spunko! this is ridiculous, is it never ending? Surely it won't just let me keep typing, blooming heck,

12 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Good, that you are keen to pay cash. I am too, and quite a few of my customers are as well, I put EVERYTHING through though, even a 1p bank transfer!

Maybe I will start another business, I shouldn't have to fanny about with anything other than my business though- that alone is enough to keep me busy without having to deal with their shit too. 

ps What was your 10,000th post? Did you make it a good one?

Ten thousand in less than a year! 

Didn't even realise I had hit 10,000. I think I need to step away from the Internet. xD

cash can disappear B|  just got to make sure that you are not telling the tax man that you earn 10k whilst driving a Range Rover and living in a million pound house. 

13 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

All that's going to happen is that people will decide that at £10 £20 a time it was worth getting someone in to cut their lawn, but at £12 £24 a time they'll do it themselves, or that the lawn mowing person will agree to do the whole job for cash, thereby reducing the entire tax take, not just the VAT. That's assuming they even bother to continue.

Fixed that for you, as anyone cutting lawns for £10 won't be in business for long anyway :P