• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

ARA San Juan - Argentina loses a sub

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Santa Cruz class - 2 built for Argentina in the 1980's by the Germans.

Not the Argentine one, the one in the video Frank posted.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

They have found the sub in 70 metres of water. Rescue attempts are now underway.

Poor bastards, being trapped in a metal tube in deep water with the air running is the stuff of nightmares 

Just now, Malthus said:

Poor bastards, being trapped in a metal tube in deep water with the air running is the stuff of nightmares 

Yep, the Americans are involved so no doubt there is the option of their rescue vehicle but that is a long, long flight from Norfolk in the US to Patagonia.

2 hours ago, Malthus said:

I've been on a couple of submarines at naval museums, the sense of claustrophobia on them even when they are above water is bad enough, I can't (and don't want to) imagine the horror or being trapped on one underwater. 

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I've been on a couple of submarines at naval museums, the sense of claustrophobia on them even when they are above water is bad enough, I can't (and don't want to) imagine the horror or being trapped on one underwater. 

a mate's brother joined the submarine branch and told it was common for newbies to go to sleep and dream of being trapped in a coffin - fck that for a game of soldiers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3606461/Coffin-dreams-600-ft-under.html

Just now, Dipsy said:

I can't watch Das Boot.

Uncut version is on this weekend on one of the channels, got it set to record to relive avidly watching it in the 1980s when I was a kid, can see them now popping the valve lifters on the big diesels when they start them up.

11 minutes ago, Knock Out Johnny said:

a mate's brother joined the submarine branch and told it was common for newbies to go to sleep and dream of being trapped in a coffin - fck that for a game of soldiers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3606461/Coffin-dreams-600-ft-under.html

I've known archaeologists have to leave digs because when they're excavating an inhumation burial they suddenly see themselves as the body and flip. Not common but it does happen.

16 minutes ago, eight said:

Eh? It's no that bad. You're thinking of U571.

I'm not risking it, I'm a bit claustrophobic. It's one of Mr Dipsy's favourites so I have seen snippets of it over the years - I find the end very moving.

Hunt for Red October always made a life on submarines seem very exciting. Imagine it was very much an oversell and you don't get to yell 'right full rudder' nearly as much in real life.

An emergency surface or surfacing through the polar ice pack would probably still be the shizz.

6 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Hunt for Red October always made a life on submarines seem very exciting. Imagine it was very much an oversell and you don't get to yell 'right full rudder' nearly as much in real life.

An emergency surface or surfacing through the polar ice pack would probably still be the shizz.

In the wake of the use of subs in the Falklands I was keen to join up as they were such an effective weapon; it seemed the coolest part of the armed forces.  I had a school friend join up and he was in the secret communications team of ?three ?two who weren't allowed to fraternise with the rest of the crew and had their own separate quarters and meals.  So for six months his only human contact was saying hello to the bloke with whom he was chnaging shifts.

He also said that amazingly they were allowed to smoke and the air was foul; you can see some compensation claims being lined up.  This was the late 80s.

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In the wake of the use of subs in the Falklands I was keen to join up as they were such an effective weapon; it seemed the coolest part of the armed forces.  I had a school friend join up and he was in the secret communications team of ?three ?two who weren't allowed to fraternise with the rest of the crew and had their own separate quarters and meals.  So for six months his only human contact was saying hello to the bloke with whom he was chnaging shifts.

He also said that amazingly they were allowed to smoke and the air was foul; you can see some compensation claims being lined up.  This was the late 80s.

Anyone who wishes to join the submarine fleet really needs to read up some stories from people who have served - will put you off. How on earth any woman wishes to go, ahem, down with the sub fleet is beyond me. The subs are better today - bigger, smoking bans - but all the same you need a certain mindset to be able to do that job.

Therei s a female sailor aboard this Argie sub. I hope that the entire crew is alive and are soon saved. Big search area though.