• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Favourite Possesions

Recommended Posts

I'd like to follow Swissy's thread intention but I genuinely don't think about stuff in that way; other than where there is a sentimental attachment because of who owned it or gave it to me.  This is probably why I don't buy anything as I have a Platonic view of a theoretical watch, for example, of which all are imitations and I already have one.

But as we want pictures I do like my Roberts Radio:

th41481807569burgandymain.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd like to follow Swissy's thread intention but I genuinely don't think about stuff in that way; other than where there is a sentimental attachment because of who owned it or gave it to me.  This is probably why I don't buy anything as I have a Platonic view of a theoretical watch, for example, of which all are imitations and I already have one.

But as we want pictures I do like my Roberts Radio:

th41481807569burgandymain.jpg

Lovely. But if it was stolen you could just buy a new one.

History and memories are irreplaceable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jap Fender Strat 54 Reissue. Replaced factory pick ups with Seymour Duncans. Cost me £120. Wouldnt sell it for £1000. V Neck plays like butter.

Yamaha CPX15 Hand made in Japan. Just superb. Will put this against any mid range Martin.

DSC_0383.JPG

Edited by shindigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get attached to bargains, (mainly guitars) that i then go on to pimp out, improve, and fettle.

The quiet adding of value does the soul good. as long as you dont fuck them up, with the "improvements".

More often than not just having the notional profit means i hang on to those things the longest and derive the most pleasure from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually when I think about it, I don't have a favourite possession. Quite sad about that when I think about it and yet 5 minutes ago I couldn't have given a toss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say my jewellery. I don't have a huge amount, about 9-10 pieces,  but what I have I wear most of it everyday and would be really upset to lose. I've bought quite a few pieces for myself and most of the rest was from Mr B, my wedding ring, engagement ring, eternity ring and a crucifix he bought me the first year we were together.

I have two bracelets that I've treated myself to from my divvys and a second hand diamond ring that had three separate pave stoned ovals that I intend to have made into three matching rings to give to each of my sons. They can then sell it or pass it to someone that means something to them.

I also have a clock on my mantel piece that's one of those pieces of slate with a white etched drawing and brass clock hands. One of my brothers bought it for me when I was about 17 because it has a horse on it and I loved horses. Whenever we move it always has to be the last item to leave the house and the first to be placed when we move in. It's been on one mantel or another for many years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

My photographs. Which I am very lucky to have. My first major burglary took everything but randomly that day I had a backup of my pictures with me, so despite losing the pc, server and backup drive I still have them.

Apart from my watch, everything else I have owned of value has been stolen but none of it has really mattered in the end.

Same here. My photographs (and by extension, my camera) is the one possession I would hate to part with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Lovely. But if it was stolen you could just buy a new one.

History and memories are irreplaceable.

In that case, probably my grandpa’s primus  camping stove.  Easily 100 years old now. Will be even more invaluable during the zombie apocalypse ( so long as I have access to paraffin and a hospital for the treatment of severe burns)

1288896562-gammprimusen1-jpg.75416

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I have to admit I love my £200 Ettinger wallet that I've had for two years. I love the shine on it and the overall feeling of quality. I also get a buzz from smelling the leather.

I also love my, week old, £69 seiko automatic watch. It's so much better than my previous swatch watch which felt cheap and was made of plastic. The seiko just feels such better quality and the window on the back shows you the "weight" charging the watch. This really appeals to the engineer in me.

 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I do like watches in that style with satin finish and brown leather straps, rather than metal bracelets. Often hard work to find a replacement strap that looks as good though but have usually smashed to smithereens by then.

I would probably have to pick similar everyday use items, probably the two Leatherman multi-tools I carry usually and out of the two the Crunch probably edges it.

Leatherman%20Crunch%20Multitool%20with%2

I actually think it's a shame that through an abundance of cheap foreign manufacturing and increased personal wealth possessions are so undervalued. As a child/teenager/student I used to really enjoy things like a nice Parker, or similar make, fountain pen to use and look after and now I just have no use for one. There's something about knowing that iphones, ipads and laptops have got a finite useful, and possibly their abundance, life that undermines their potential to be treasured possessions - although have to admit I have been surprised how long my original ipad and current laptop have lasted.

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Battenberg said:

I would say my jewellery. I don't have a huge amount, about 9-10 pieces,  but what I have I wear most of it everyday and would be really upset to lose. I've bought quite a few pieces for myself and most of the rest was from Mr B, my wedding ring, engagement ring, eternity ring and a crucifix he bought me the first year we were together.

I have two bracelets that I've treated myself to from my divvys and a second hand diamond ring that had three separate pave stoned ovals that I intend to have made into three matching rings to give to each of my sons. They can then sell it or pass it to someone that means something to them.

I also have a clock on my mantel piece that's one of those pieces of slate with a white etched drawing and brass clock hands. One of my brothers bought it for me when I was about 17 because it has a horse on it and I loved horses. Whenever we move it always has to be the last item to leave the house and the first to be placed when we move in. It's been on one mantel or another for many years. 

Was he trying to tell you something ? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very attached to my 1982 World Cup mug at work as I have had it for my most of  my career and I doubt I could replace it easily. Nil financial value but huge sentimental value. BTW despite some extensive searches on google can't find one which matches my design.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t think of anything really, closest would be my American hunting bow but that’s a bit triggers broom in reality. Had about 6 different risers and 8 different sets of limbs, so while I’ve had it a number of years and competed across the globe with it it’s not really the same one.

im not really a posessions person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NTB said:

See my avatar. Plus the various things connected to it and the things it gets to caress.

What is that thing?!

Nevermind, just seen the answer!

For me, I'm not really a big one for physical possessions, so (other than cherished photos) it's probably my watch, wallet and belt. Also my few pairs of Japanese repro denim jeans. All of which bring me a simple joy in wearing them. I'm no fashionista, but each of these is really well made using good materials, and attention to detail. Oh, and for similar reasons, an old hammer that I bought for about 50p at a car boot sale.

Edited by LC1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NTB said:

See my avatar. Plus the various things connected to it and the things it gets to caress.

Scottish, tiny and over a grands worth!

No, not Nicola Strumgein.

 

I still can't think of a possession that I would describe as a favourite. I have stuff I like but nothing in particular is jumping out, photos as other have said yes, after that... Our car.

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding my favourites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A slight variant on this one would be what three things  you would save from your house in the event of a fire.

Ricky Gervais did a great one, something like "My Fender Telecaster, my wife, and one of the twins"; which the interviewer just wrote down.

He said for years afterwards he was asked "How are the {non-existent] twins?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

A slight variant on this one would be what three things  you would save from your house in the event of a fire.

Ricky Gervais did a great one, something like "My Fender Telecaster, my wife, and one of the twins"; which the interviewer just wrote down.

He said for years afterwards he was asked "How are the {non-existent] twins?".

Ah, I can answer this one as my house caught fire a few months ago following a gas explosion in a nearby property. 

I grabbed my laptop (from which I run my own business: I do have backup files but keep them in the house as well), a file which contains my most important documents as well as £1000 in gold sovereigns, and my car keys. 

Oddly though I totally forgot my 'apocalypse bag' which has food, survival camping equipment etc designed to keep me going outdoors for 24 hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

it looks like a male chastity belt?

It can indirectly perform that function since when I'm using it I'm not interested in any distractions, moist or otherwise.

This should make it clearer.

 

krysatl-side.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.