• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Broken Laptop Lid

I need a 3 inch or so square of plastic with one side curved, and made of a suitable material that will glue to whatever my laptop lid is made of. I did have a bit I was saving from the battery case cover of some electrical item, but I think I probably forgot what I was saving it for and threw it out, or else it's gone to wherever the socks and biros go. Anyway, the crack has got bigger, so it would be too small now.

I actually managed to melt an aluminium bracket onto it, which probably worked better than it deserved to, and actually stopped the crack spreading but also ended up a bit messy looking.

Any suggestions?

30 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I need a 3 inch or so square of plastic with one side curved, and made of a suitable material that will glue to whatever my laptop lid is made of. I did have a bit I was saving from the battery case cover of some electrical item, but I think I probably forgot what I was saving it for and threw it out, or else it's gone to wherever the socks and biros go. Anyway, the crack has got bigger, so it would be too small now.

I actually managed to melt an aluminium bracket onto it, which probably worked better than it deserved to, and actually stopped the crack spreading but also ended up a bit messy looking.

Any suggestions?

This might involve a considerable expense!, look on ebay for someone selling a laptop like yours for spares or repair.

You could try moulding a repair fillet/bridge using polymorph.  This will stick to most plastics, including polycarbonate, which your laptop case is probably made from.  You could even dye it so that it looked vaguely similar to the actual case.

Better would be epoxy fillet to fill the gap.  But this can be a bit messy, and, for me, never actually works out that well.  Although it usually does actually work.

Even better would be to buy a second-hand laptop from ebay.    Ex-corporates (eg, Thinkpads) on the refresh cycle are my favourite -- they're cheap (if you pick the right point on the refresh), easy to maintain / get spares, and tend to last well.

24 minutes ago, dgul said:

polymorph

I shall look out to see if they have any in Lidl. Maybe I'll  try playdoh.

Is there a clue to laptops being ex-corporate, other than being thinkpads? I assume for the refresh cycle, you just have to watch and wait until you see a bunch arrive simultaneously?

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

Ebay or Amazon.  Everywhere else is too expensive.

Is there a clue to laptops being ex-corporate, other than being thinkpads? I assume for the refresh cycle, you just have to watch and wait until you see a bunch arrive simultaneously?

Corporates buy loads of high-quality, expensive laptops, often in bulk (rather than as they go).  They do it in bulk as it gives them a pile of identical computers that are easier to manage (spares, device-driver updates, etc) than many different computer types (even if just the 'replacement model' there'll often be changes which mean more spares on shelves).  But, by buying in bulk, they also have a matching 'disposal in bulk'.  These flood the market, lowering the price on the second-hand market.

I just go for Thinkpads because they're a known quantity and I used to be able to 'borrow' spares from work.  There are advantages, such as commonality of power supplies when you upgrade, etc.

You tend to see the refresh cycle at between 3 and 5 years.  For example, in the Thinkpad X-series, the computers coming off refresh at the moment are the X240 (early refresh) and X230 (5 year refresh).  These will be relatively cheap, compared with younger computers (twice the cost) and older computers (not much cheaper at all).

Note, you don't actually see a pile arrive -- it is inferred by prices.

Just watch out for the GELF.