• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

This Time

Android Oreo

The only two differences I can see are that app notifications are really annoying now (managed to fix this one) and apps can no longer overlay system display. This second one is a big problem for me since Twilight can no longer dim the status bar making it really dazzling at night meaning I can't look at my phone without getting a headache. As far as I can tell I've got two options - I can either flash my phone and go back to Nougat, potentially breaking it or I can root my phone to give Twilight or another app permission to overlay the system display, potentially breaking it. Anyone got any advice? 

5 minutes ago, This Time said:

The only two differences I can see are that app notifications are really annoying now (managed to fix this one) and apps can no longer overlay system display. This second one is a big problem for me since Twilight can no longer dim the status bar making it really dazzling at night meaning I can't look at my phone without getting a headache. As far as I can tell I've got two options - I can either flash my phone and go back to Nougat, potentially breaking it or I can root my phone to give Twilight or another app permission to overlay the system display, potentially breaking it. Anyone got any advice? 

Do yourself a favour by smashing your phone into a thousand pieces with a large hammer...

XYY

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Yes, get an iphone.

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Do yourself a favour by smashing your phone into a thousand pieces with a large hammer...

XYY

I spent £400 on this phone six months ago so that's a no. 

Just now, This Time said:

I spent £400 on this phone six months ago so that's a no. 

That is four hundred quid well spent on the day you decide to destroy the piece of plastic that currently rules your life.

Trust me - mobile phones are the most evil devices that the human race has ever invented.

Bar none...

XYY

9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Yes, get an iphone.

Deffo go with this, you can use the iPhone as a useful screen cover placing over the top of the Android phone, thereby dimming the status bar. :D

Assume all similar apps are prevented from adjusting status bar in similar way. Is it possible to change the theme or or the theme element fro the status bar to a darker one?

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Deffo go with this, you can use the iPhone as a useful screen cover placing over the top of the Android phone, thereby dimming the status bar. :D

Assume all similar apps are prevented from adjusting status bar in similar way. Is it possible to change the theme or or the theme element fro the status bar to a darker one?

Yeah, all apps are blocked from doing it. It seems like it's possible to change themes but that involves a paid app, developer mode and a computer which all seems a bit dodgy - I think I'd rather flash or root tbh.

11 minutes ago, This Time said:

Yeah, all apps are blocked from doing it. It seems like it's possible to change themes but that involves a paid app, developer mode and a computer which all seems a bit dodgy - I think I'd rather flash or root tbh.

That's poor if themes cannot be changed by default, My old Note 2 still running Kitkat, sort of glad now there were no OS updates available, tbh just cannot be arsed to even fiddle with the phone, just use it for basic stuff as stock.

Edited by onlyme

5 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

That is four hundred quid well spent on the day you decide to destroy the piece of plastic that currently rules your life.

Trust me - mobile phones are the most evil devices that the human race has ever invented.

Bar none...

XYY

There's a "Sent from my iPhone" signature missing from the end of your message ;-)

The phone is a tool.  Fairly handy in terms of getting business done.  Sure, a bit of an intrusion when it comes to privacy, but nothing too serious so long as you don't tell it too much.

But if you're worrying about some trivial app doing something trivial with something -- you're in too deep.  

Edited by dgul