• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Kids and Oil Filled Radiators

I think my son may have bricked 2 of our 3 500watt Delonghi Bambino heaters. I caught him covering them with towels causing them to overheat and they no longer switch on - many hours after the event. Not wanting to spend £100 on replacements what is the most likely point of failure so I can try and get spares.

Thank you all.

Edited by longtomsilver

Thanks OnePercent and Stokiescum. I’ve checked the fuses and they’re fine.

OnePercent your googling skills are first class better than mine. Shall I order these genuine parts

https://www.4delonghi.co.uk/heaters-radiant/bambino-500-0105051000/thermal-cut-out-switch-thermal-limiter/product.pl?pid=1586923&path=606394,641932&refine=switch&model_ref=849

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

Thanks OnePercent and Stokiescum. I’ve checked the fuses and they’re fine.

OnePercent your googling skills are first class better than mine. Shall I order these genuine parts

https://www.4delonghi.co.uk/heaters-radiant/bambino-500-0105051000/thermal-cut-out-switch-thermal-limiter/product.pl?pid=1586923&path=606394,641932&refine=switch&model_ref=849

It is worth a go.  If it doesn't fix it, you are down a fiver, if it does, you are up the price of a new radiator. 

Dont blame me though if you electrocute yourself. O.o

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

It is worth a go.  If it doesn't fix it, you are down a fiver, if it does, you are up the price of a new radiator. 

£14.86 (for the two radiators including postage). If I electrocuted myself I won’t live to tell the tale or to point any blame. It’s actually nil cost to me as I’m taking this out of his Christmas present allocation.

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

I'll be blaming you if he does.

And Thomas Edison.

Bunch of V equals I times R cunts the fucking lot of you...

XYY

13 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

£14.86 (for the two radiators including postage). If I electrocuted myself I won’t live to tell the tale or to point any blame. It’s actually nil cost to me as I’m taking this out of his Christmas present allocation.

Try it on just the one first?  

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Try it on just the one first?  

If it works then I’d be paying for postage twice. If it doesn’t it’s a marginal increase in cost and then I’ll only replace the one radiator in my daughters room and he can go without. Unintended consequences.

40 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

How awesome is the internet! Before the Internet you'd have taken the heater back to the shop and some spotty teenager would have stared at you blankly. You'd eventually get fed up and buy a new heater.

Now you get online advice and get the replacement part posted to you for a couple of pound.

Isn't it sad -- we now have this amazing wealth of information allowing us (as individuals) to fix all sorts of things that we'd have send back to the shop to be fixed in the past, but instead the vast vast majority will now just take the broken stuff to the dump.

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I'll be blaming you if he does.

And Thomas Edison.

Bunch of V equals I times R cunts the fucking lot of you...

XYY

If you do electrocute yourself and survive you can thank Tesla for AC; Edison's DC would have been more likely to kill you.

5 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I think my son may have bricked 2 of our 3 500watt Delonghi Bambino heaters. I caught him covering them with towels causing them to overheat and they no longer switch on - many hours after the event. Not wanting to spend £100 on replacements what is the most likely point of failure so I can try and get spares.

Thank you all.

Oil filled radiators?

No central heating or a dryer?

1 minute ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Other way round I thought? Mains frequency is roughly the ideal to cause atrial fibrillation IIRC.

With DC your hands clamp around the wires/thing and can't let go.  AC doesn't do this; people can remove themselves from the circuit.

18 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Oil filled radiators?

No central heating or a dryer?

It’s not cold enough yet (minus figures) to put the main heating on. Running (supposedly) maintenance free electric heaters to take the chill off and then it’ll be full bore on the kerosene fuelled central heating until the first buds of spring. 

21 minutes ago, dgul said:

With DC your hands clamp around the wires/thing and can't let go.  AC doesn't do this; people can remove themselves from the circuit.

I don't think that's true. Pretty sure it was found to be false that the alternating nature of the current allowed people to release themselves although a widely held view.

Edison's DC was definitely safer in practice it was the transmission that was the problem.

Edited by SNACR

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

It’s not cold enough yet (minus figures) to put the main heating on. Running (supposedly) maintenance free electric heaters to take the chill off and then it’ll be full bore on the kerosene fuelled central heating until the first buds of spring. 

Its bloomin freezing oop north.

Are you in the UK?

10 hours ago, Great Guy said:

How awesome is the internet! Before the Internet you'd have taken the heater back to the shop and some spotty teenager would have stared at you blankly. You'd eventually get fed up and buy a new heater.

Now you get online advice and get the replacement part posted to you for a couple of pound.

I want to start a search engine where, whatever the enquiry, the result is a GIF of a spotty teenager looking at you blankly.