• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

It's cold enough in Toronto over winter that it's not really possible to exercise hard outside on a road bike so I've mainly done track riding and spin classes for the last few years during the cold weather. The track, whilst a top notch facility, is a bit of a pain to get to (at least an hour's drive) and spin classes are, well, as awful as you can imagine so, this year, I bought myself and smart trainer along with a Zwift subscription and have them up with a big telly in my basement. So far I've just been figuring out how best to use it - the FTP tests are interesting for those that are into that kind of stuff - but it's surprisingly fun and immersive. 

Anyone else tried this (or anything similar)? I'm interested to know how it will translate into on the road performance come the spring.

When I were a lad....  woolly jerseys... exposure.... frostbite, kids these days don't know they're born.  etc :Old:

Although you being in Toronto I think we can make an exception in your case. 

8 minutes ago, Melchett said:

When I were a lad....  woolly jerseys... exposure.... frostbite, kids these days don't know they're born.  etc :Old:

Although you being in Toronto I think we can make an exception in your case. 

I have fond memories of going for Boxing day bike rides with my dad in the 70s and early 80s in North Yorkshire. A couple of years back here on Boxing day it touched -40C with wind chill!

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Toronto....?

Moose-fucking cunt...!

;)

XYY

I'd have to catch one first. Fast fuckers moose:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/moose-on-the-loose-buttonville-airport-1.4417897

Edited by TheBlueCat

It just all seems so contrived to me.  There's so many effortfull things you could do, but to focus on one to the extent that you're playing a computer game in the basement whilst pedalling...  I just don't get it.

Just now, dgul said:

It just all seems so contrived to me.  There's so many effortfull things you could do, but to focus on one to the extent that you're playing a computer game in the basement whilst pedalling...  I just don't get it.

I actually find it quite peaceful. Keep lighting to a minimum and focus on two things, music and pushing yourself as hard as you can. I also play team sports a couple of times a week, also fun but in a com0letely different way 

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

I would much rather be doing it outside believe me, but when it's 0C on a good day, that's not really an option. The alternatives are doing it in a gym with other people around, doing something ice based instead or just giving up on exercise until spring - so least bad option really.

22 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I would much rather be doing it outside believe me, but when it's 0C on a good day, that's not really an option. The alternatives are doing it in a gym with other people around, doing something ice based instead or just giving up on exercise until spring - so least bad option really.

but choose the right exercise.

I go running with ambient below zero.  I'll take my top off if it is sunny.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

but choose the right exercise.

I go running with ambient below zero.  I'll take my top off if it is sunny.

Running is out for me due to knee problems - and I absolutely hate it anyway! Also, until you've experienced it first hand, it's hard to appreciate just how much colder -15C is than 0C.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Running is out for me due to knee problems - and I absolutely hate it anyway! Also, until you've experienced it first hand, it's hard to appreciate just how much colder -15C is than 0C.

Surely Toronto isn't that cold very often.  Montreal/Quebec might be, but Toronto isn't that bad.

Edited by dgul

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Surely Toronto isn't that cold very often.  Montreal/Quebec might be, but Toronto isn't that bad.

It varies year to year, but there are usually long stretches over winter where it doesn't get above -5C during the day and dives quickly from there after sunset. Add in wind-chill from the north and it's even colder than that in practise. All the cycling clubs here shut up shop in October and don't venture out again until the spring. I generally cycle to work all year round but I have to dress up like Scott of the Antartic to do it without freezing to death and I can't claim it's any kind of fun - I can't imagine doing 2 hours on a roadbike dressed like that.

14 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I generally cycle to work all year round but I have to dress up like Scott of the Antartic

He's cold! He's lost!

His toes fell off with frost......

52 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Depends on how much you weigh. Divide 230 by your weight (mass for the pedants) in KG then compare using the chart here:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/just-how-good-are-male-pro-road-cyclists/

That was interesting, use HRM on my Garmin and generally ignore the Power figures as I'm too old for that sort of stuff.

Anyway found one of may favourite climbs thats 3 miles long and had a look at my best time from 2015 with the thingy on.

So at 80kg I clocked 297W for 4:22, 258W for 9:08 and 239W for 17:58.

Whcih gives me something like 3.75W/Kg for 5 minutes.

Don't know what the categories mean but its not bad for a 52y/o.

16 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

It varies year to year, but there are usually long stretches over winter where it doesn't get above -5C during the day and dives quickly from there after sunset. Add in wind-chill from the north and it's even colder than that in practise. All the cycling clubs here shut up shop in October and don't venture out again until the spring. I generally cycle to work all year round but I have to dress up like Scott of the Antartic to do it without freezing to death and I can't claim it's any kind of fun - I can't imagine doing 2 hours on a roadbike dressed like that.

Sorry TBC.  I just find cycling a bit odd, it is the strange dogmatic exercise of our age.

Obviously you do the things that work out for you, and it is reasonable to want to try to change our environment to keep on doing it -- hence wanting to be in the house cycling when it is too cold for outside.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

That was interesting, use HRM on my Garmin and generally ignore the Power figures as I'm too old for that sort of stuff.

Anyway found one of may favourite climbs thats 3 miles long and had a look at my best time from 2015 with the thingy on.

So at 80kg I clocked 297W for 4:22, 258W for 9:08 and 239W for 17:58.

Whcih gives me something like 3.75W/Kg for 5 minutes.

Don't know what the categories mean but its not bad for a 52y/o.

That's pretty good - puts you in cat 4 territory which is reasonable club rider level (as in won't get dropped off the back of the 30Km/h group on a normal day). 

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

I just find cycling a bit odd, it is the strange dogmatic exercise of our age.

I've been using cycling as my primary means of transport and exercide since I was about 5 years old and I find its sudden popularity quite surprising.

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've been using cycling as my primary means of transport and exercide since I was about 5 years old and I find its sudden popularity quite surprising.

I think it is freedom to explore, for me I get away from things, see stuff I wouldn't otherwise, don't have to think about parking the car, have time to think etc.

It's the last bit of unconstrained transportational (other than distance/time/carrying stuff) freedom there is.

Got to the point that I hate the expense and regulatory bullshit associated with car ownership.

So even though I have one it is more like a washing machine than something aspirational anymore.

If I go out of town into the sticks the biggest problem is actually trying to find somewhere to leave the car, if I go on the bike it is irrelevant and I can make a day of it.

Also life long cyclist. I do it because I enjoy it. End of.

A few years ago I realised I basically earn more money than I spend and have everything I really need in life, and had a long period of introspection about what actually added value to my 3score and ten life experience and was worth spending on. Bikes, food, travel were pretty much it.

25 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

That's kind of the worst place to be -- all of a sudden everyone knows better, prices go up, there's more congestion, etc.

But one day the mania will decrease, and you'll find that there's suddenly loads of stuff second hand, prices go down, there are loads of spare cycle bays, your employer has a serious cycling policy but no-one to give the 'cycling employee of the year' award to, etc.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

That's kind of the worst place to be -- all of a sudden everyone knows better, prices go up, there's more congestion, etc.

But one day the mania will decrease, and you'll find that there's suddenly loads of stuff second hand, prices go down, there are loads of spare cycle bays, your employer has a serious cycling policy but no-one to give the 'cycling employee of the year' award to, etc.

Actually, prices have come down especially if you count quality and peformance in the mix. E.g. my carbon framed road bike, which cost around 3K CAD, is a way, way better bike than a 1990s pro race bike which would have cost 3 or 4 times the price adjusted for inflation. 

16 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Also life long cyclist. I do it because I enjoy it. End of.

A few years ago I realised I basically earn more money than I spend and have everything I really need in life, and had a long period of introspection about what actually added value to my 3score and ten life experience and was worth spending on. Bikes, food, travel were pretty much it.

Can't argue with any of that!

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Actually, prices have come down especially if you count quality and peformance in the mix. E.g. my carbon framed road bike, which cost around 3K CAD, is a way, way better bike than a 1990s pro race bike which would have cost 3 or 4 times the price adjusted for inflation. 

Yes, but when the cool-kids move on, that carbon bike will be really cheap on ebay.