• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Life Tips

I thought it might be good to have a thread to pass on good advice.

My life tip is bleach. My car had a lot of algae and moss on it. I tried cleaning it and the algae never came off. I poured some neat bleach on and that algae just melted!

We also had a path that was permanently slippy with algae. I poured bleach over it and scrubbed it with a brush. Result! The path is no longer slippy!

7 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I'm continually stunned at the amount of life's little problems that can be solved with alcohol.

Very good for unblocking print heads, for instance.

27 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

A good one for me is salt.

A teaspoonful in a glass of water as hot as you can bear makes a good mouthwash. Really useful when my gums feel sore.

Also really handy to remove blood stains, (usually from my collar after I've shaved using a new razor blade).

Your own saliva is good for bloodstains.

43 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Here's a Life Hack (TM) for you then, don't let your car sit there for months accruing algae!  :ph34r:

Also, I've changed all references to "Hack" because it grates my gears.

dave gorman has done some stuff tips vs hacks

Athletes Foot. 

I’ve had a mild dose of AF for some years and have tried various OTC remedies before with zero success. Cremes, sprays, powders all useless one even claimed to clear it with one application. It spread to two of my toes so I soaked the foot over two weeks in a vinegar bath and it’s completely cleared up. 

Cost me £1.

Be aware that advice / received wisdom goes out of date.

Three good examples often discussed here:

Cars: somebody at work who does similar mileage to me (20k a year) changes his car every two / three years because he was told twenty years ago that the best deal was to buy at 50k miles and sell at 100k miles because that way you avoid major bills or having to have the cambelt changed.  This was entirely true with 80s / early 90s build quality but now you can easily expect 200k so it doesn't hold, and getting the cambelt changed is cheap.

"You can't go wrong with bricks and mortar" was entirely disproved in the 1998-2005 crash where people had substantial negative equity so couldn't move as prices crashed by more than a third.

Nutritonists still trotting out the "low fat diet is good for you" myth because that's what they learned on their courses decades ago.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

"You can't go wrong with bricks and mortar" was entirely disproved in the 1998-2005 crash where people had substantial negative equity so couldn't move as prices crashed by more than a third.

Anyone who's kept a house that they bought at '98 prices is sitting very prettily indeed

Beware of Nutritionists!  They are the Estate Agents of Food Science!  Registration is voluntary.

However, a Dietitian will know what they are talking about.  They are fully trained health care professionals.

The case for the prosecution:  I give you (at one time "Dr") Gillian McKeith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillian_McKeith

Here's the NHS link for Nutritionist:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/wider-healthcare-team/roles-wider-healthcare-team/clinical-support-staff/nutritionist

Note this part: "You may work with health care professionals such as nurses and dietitians."

Here's the NHS link for Dietitian:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/dietitian

Note this part: "As well as working with other health professionals AND nutritionists..." (My emphasis on the AND.)

Take everything a Nutritionist says with a pinch of salt. :-)

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Now I am drunk at the moment. Pretty damn drunk to be honest. But I am pretty certain that 1998-2005 was an enormous boom of house prices. As someone in my late 30s, the lesson I would take is that you indeed cannot go wrong with house prices. No matter how stupid a price one would pay, the government would wreck the economy to support you. What a buch of cnuts.

13 minutes ago, Knock Out Johnny said:

Anyone who's kept a house that they bought at '98 prices is sitting very prettily indeed

I had to check my post there!

I did of course mean 1988-1995.

Just now, Stunley Andwin said:

Now I am drunk at the moment. Pretty damn drunk to be honest. But I am pretty certain that 1998-2005 was an enormous boom of house prices. As someone in my late 30s, the lesson I would take is that you indeed cannot go wrong with house prices. No matter how stupid a price one would pay, the government would wreck the economy to support you. What a buch of cnuts.

As above, my mistake.

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Yep, until one day it's not.

I think Hunter S. Thompson had it about right. Take as many drugs as feels right for you. When you know you're fucked just blow your head off. Jobs a good 'un.

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt."

4 minutes ago, billfunk said:

I think Hunter S. Thompson had it about right. Take as many drugs as feels right for you. When you know you're fucked just blow your head off. Jobs a good 'un.

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt."

I don't think there is any right or wrong about it and everyone should do whatever they want, but I do think if it ends in suicide then your choice of drug(s) probably wasn't the best in terms of helping you get the most out of life.

That said, who am I to argue with a man who had his ashes fired out of a cannon.