• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

King of Kong

Anyone seen this documentary about competitive video-gaming?

Such a huge amount of WTFery?

It seems like it's from the early nineties-ish but turns out it was made in 2007. It's also seems like a Spinal Tap type thing you could summarise it as 'losers compete to be king of the losers' (even the guy portrayed as a the 'good guy' is a loser whose wife basically talks about him as if he's a child).

Edited by SNACR

I'm not a gamer myself as a conscious life choice since I know, from people who do it, quite how many hours it soaks up out of your week and I don't want to spend such a huge chunk of my leisure time doing it.

That said I have been persuaded that the best games have a full narrative and you are effectively drawn into the centre of an action / fantasy film so have, as the phrase has it, a second, virtual, life that is highly satisfying and ticks a lot of the boxes that you would want a hobby to tick.

So more power to their joysticks.

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not a gamer myself as a conscious life choice since I know, from people who do it, quite how many hours it soaks up out of your week and I don't want to spend such a huge chunk of my leisure time doing it.

That said I have been persuaded that the best games have a full narrative and you are effectively drawn into the centre of an action / fantasy film so have, as the phrase has it, a second, virtual, life that is highly satisfying and ticks a lot of the boxes that you would want a hobby to tick.

So more power to their joysticks.

I like them.

I'm certainly not one of the 'wear a nappy and play for four days' dweebs, but I've got an xbox and I'll have a bash away on that for a few hours given half a chance.

Some games now are quite spectacular with hollywood budgets and passable narratives so it's easy to see why people get drawn in. Unfortunately a lot of this is just shiny crap designed to wring money out of kids, Call of Duty and some of the new Star Wars games being prime examples. 

There are a few, however that I would genuinely call creative works of art. I've been playing one called Dark Souls 3 for a long time now and it's artistically stunning and incredibly immersive. Very little 'buy this' bullshit either.

Not a fan of the big online ones, they just seem to spawn a load of Eric Cartmans.

I quite like to watch this guy's videos.

If I had his facilities I can imagine me never, ever leaving the house again. Why would you if you could spend your whole life doing this?

52 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I tend to watch others play games via YouTube these days than play them myself. Big market of professional gamers now.

There is a little clique of Forza Motorsport players on Youtube. Whilst I appreciate that some people can be supernaturally talented at games, I do suspect that some of these are a bit more equal than your ordinary player. If you know what I mean.

I used to like Donkey Kong.

When I was 12.

But, I suppose, as a hobby it is inoffensive enough. 

And his wife's probably happy that he's unlikely to ever have an affair.

7 hours ago, SNACR said:

Anyone seen this documentary about competitive video-gaming?

Such a huge amount of WTFery?

It seems like it's from the early nineties-ish but turns out it was made in 2007. It's also seems like a Spinal Tap type thing you could summarise it as 'losers compete to be king of the losers' (even the guy portrayed as a the 'good guy' is a loser whose wife basically talks about him as if he's a child).

Slight tangent, the US always seems very dated when you see these sort so things, the yanks don't seem to have any sense of "fashion" or taste when it comes to the rank and file. Their homes always seem to be very out dated with seemingly very old furniture and equipment. I've always found it very odd. 

I don't mean it from a sense you should be constantly consuming and have new stuff all the time, they just seem overly outdated which doesn't seem to fit with the fact pretty much anything tech related is released in the US first and often exclusively. 

3 hours ago, eight said:

If I had his facilities I can imagine me never, ever leaving the house again. Why would you if you could spend your whole life doing this?

We have a racing seat and steering/wheel pedal set up at work. It's pretty good and despite the fact it's on a screen very immersive, sadly it's a PS3 set up so I've not managed to combine it with PSVR as yet, we have a PS4 here but the wheel doesn't work.

3 hours ago, eight said:

That is absolutely awesome! I have once played a simulator with three large screens wrapped around you, and with hydraulics tipping your seat back and forwards and side to side to mimic G-forces, but that was £5 a pop and not something you can afford to spend all day on. How much would that guy's setup cost?

I mean, Christmas is coming, and all...

3 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

That is absolutely awesome! I have once played a simulator with three large screens wrapped around you, and with hydraulics tipping your seat back and forwards and side to side to mimic G-forces, but that was £5 a pop and not something you can afford to spend all day on. How much would that guy's setup cost?

I mean, Christmas is coming, and all...

A lot, you are talking £5000k + 

He is using a Simcube for the steering, about £1,000, wheel will be extra. 

Pedals are about £800

Frame and seat would be around £1,000 or more. 

No idea on the PC, but a basic VR set up is going to be in the £1500 range, so I's assume his would be significantly better than that. 

VR head set, around £400 (looks like a rift). 

I'd say I've underestimate most of that, you can check the Youtube page where he has links to some of the stuff. 

12 minutes ago, gilf said:

A lot, you are talking £5000k + 

He is using a Simcube for the steering, about £1,000, wheel will be extra. 

Pedals are about £800

Frame and seat would be around £1,000 or more. 

No idea on the PC, but a basic VR set up is going to be in the £1500 range, so I's assume his would be significantly better than that. 

VR head set, around £400 (looks like a rift). 

I'd say I've underestimate most of that, you can check the Youtube page where he has links to some of the stuff. 

Thanks - I'll see how Mrs. FD's present budget is looking ;)

I had this come up over a lunch with friends the other day - someone was calling videogamer players 'sad losers'.  I pointed out that everyone has a vice, and compared to many expats in Hong Kong who turn to drugs, drinking, or prostitution, gamers seem remarkably well adjusted and should be seen as good role models compared to many'celebrities'.

he went a bit quiet.  Not sure if he was into drugs, drink, or prossies :)