• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Hopeful

Bath Vice Chancellor

So, after all the fuss, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Bath is going to step down at the end of the 2018 summer term.

After which, she will take a sabbattical on full pay until she retires in 2019.

A £31k car loan will be written off.

I have known similar vice chancellor arrangements.

Out of control.

Link

Edited by Hopeful

Doesn't include her million pound grace and favour apartment, maid and I've also been told she has a chauffeur. Fucking crazy, only in this country would a lefty vice chancellor be living like a billionaire while their students get 30 years of debt (and dubious employment prospects) to pay for it. Remember proles, we're all equal but some are more equal than others.

Edited by gibbon

2 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Doesn't include her million pound grace and favour apartment, maid and I've also been told she has a chauffeur. Fucking crazy, only in this country would a lefty vice chancellor be living like a billionaire while their students get 30 years of debt (and dubious employment prospects) to pay for it. Remember proles, we're all equal but some are more equal than others.

Did she grow up on the streets of Tower Hamlets? That would explain the social mobility score in one step. 

8 minutes ago, gibbon said:

My daughter went  to bath. She has managed to land a good job on graduating. 

She did a four year degree with the third year out in industry. She found her own placement (placement office were useless). Then, they charged her 2.5k in fees for the year that she wasn't there. Scandalous. 

8 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Did she grow up on the streets of Tower Hamlets? That would explain the social mobility score in one step. 

Think it's more to do with when rather than where...just another boomer feasting on the young of this country. I'd bet my left bollock she's knee deep in BTL as well.

There seems to be this strange understanding in the public sector that all private sector folk are swimming in money.

Bath uni isn't that big.  Sure, there are quite a few employees, but (like most public sector areas) most mainly look after themselves.  There is no big vision, no taking the company forwards, no risk taking. 

The situation is bonkers.

50 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I rep the shit out of this.  It’s utterly fucking barmy and how does it happen in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

What does a vice chancellor actually do?  The graduation ceremonies and that's it?

Well they are basically the CEO, so the buck for everything stops with them. The difference is, because it is public sector, when they enter the limelight for the wrong reasons, instead of getting their p45 they typically get pushed sideways into an equally lucrative job. 

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

animal farm at its finest

6 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Well they are basically the CEO, so the buck for everything stops with them. The difference is, because it is public sector, when they enter the limelight for the wrong reasons, instead of getting their p45 they typically get pushed sideways into an equally lucrative job. 

Oh yeah that reminds me of another story that I heard....apparently the done thing in the uni is when someone is either incompetent or unpleasant to work with is to promote them to a position where they can do 'less damage' i.e. incompetence is rewarded.

Edited by JoeDavola

3 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Yeah.

I fuck up in the private sector, I lose my job and possibly get sued personally, which can financially bankrupt me.

I fuck up in the public sector and I won't lose my job in most cases, and I won't have to pay any fines out of my own pocket (see police/NHS fuckups ad infinitum)

And I have worked in both private and public sector.  Private sector - only in the C-suite do you see the same twisted risk/reward behaviours that are present in the whole of the public sector.

Fucking outrageous sum of money financed by the debt of the young. The cynicism involved here is almost beyond belief. If the only thing to come out of pushing the fees up to nine grand a year is a few yachts and a Bentley for the vice chancellors then, frankly, someone needs putting up against a wall.

Fucking outrageous.

7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Oh yeah that reminds me of another story that I heard....apparently the done thing in the uni is when someone is either incompetent or unpleasant to work with is to promote them to a position where they can do 'less damage' i.e. incompetence is rewarded.

My PhD supervisor was basically in charge of balloting his department for head. He said it was a nightmare because the only ones who put themselves forward for headband of department were the ones that none of the other academics wanted as their boss; an inverse correlation. 

It seemed to be a job that was taken on just prior to retirement, for the pension boost. 

27 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Fucking outrageous sum of money financed by the debt of the young. The cynicism involved here is almost beyond belief. If the only thing to come out of pushing the fees up to nine grand a year is a few yachts and a Bentley for the vice chancellors then, frankly, someone needs putting up against a wall.

Fucking outrageous.

a degree is the new norm,you need further further education to stand out.we fked the youth over.

22 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Don't you mean they are expert in passing the buck down so that the blame sits squarely with the poor sap at the bottom? 

Teflon coated and slopey shouldered. 

15 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don't you mean they are expert in passing the buck down so that the blame sits squarely with the poor sap at the bottom? 

Teflon coated and slopey shouldered. 

Well that's why these stories break so seldomly. The one I am minded of was the bloke (actually it was Lin Homer) who did something ridiculous and then the news of them getting an equally well paid six-figure job in a different department. 

From head of Border Agency (good job she did there!) to head of HMRC. 

I had forgotten about her role in the West Coast mainline contract. Cluster after cluster after cluster and a multi-millionaire Dame  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Homer

Edited by The Generation Game

22 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

a degree is the new norm,you need further further education to stand out.we fked the youth over.

I've got one. Hasn't done me a fartsworth of good since I got it. 

After buying a Fiat, it's one of my life's greatest wastes of money.

im going off on a tangent but take my lodger,i took him in has he was close to being evicted he had lost his job at the council was educated well spoken ,he used to hang around with my son and i knew he had been throught the mill fostered etc.the first time i met him was when my lad said have we got any spare food we can give him.at 18 they put him in a house with a monthly visit from a social worker thats when i first met him.

that was 5 years ago,i heard he was in the shit (well he asked to sleep on my setee) he came round explained his problems ,i said i will get you a job,a car and a place to live this was 5 months ago.he had my spare room i gave him my car and loaned him 700 quid.he now lives with me got him a job with me ,but clever has he is he has no concept of credit.he doesnt even know the rate of interest on his student debt,they didnt tell him and none of the students ever talked about it.much less were there jobs to go to after they qualified.

we are selling pups to to many

25 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

oh i dont know i loved my x19.

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I have a fiat but no degree. The fiat does at least get me where I want to go.

2 hours ago, Hopeful said:

So, after all the fuss, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Bath is going to step down at the end of the 2018 summer term.

After which, she will take a sabbattical on full pay until she retires in 2019.

A £31k car loan will be written off.

I have known similar vice chancellor arrangements.

Out of control.

Link

I worked on a vanity project for the Vice Chancellor of Coventry Uni back in the early noughties.

The self-importance and remuneration has gone crazy in the past decade (from an already ludicrous level!). It's not just the Vice Chancellors, they surround themselves with a team of piss-takers (it's all very political). I had Birmingham Uni clients that used Concorde to attend alumni events.

4 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Well that's why these stories break so seldomly. The one I am minded of was the bloke (actually it was Lin Homer) who did something ridiculous and then the news of them getting an equally well paid six-figure job in a different department. 

From head of Border Agency (good job she did there!) to head of HMRC. 

I had forgotten about her role in the West Coast mainline contract. Cluster after cluster after cluster and a multi-millionaire Dame  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Homer

This sort of implies to me a mismatch between the job the public think she ought to be doing (keeping migrants out getting tax off Amazon and Starbucks) and the job her political masters wanted her to do. If she'd turned the Border Agency into a lean mean migrant keeping out machine I doubt she'd have ended up as a dame.