• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Wrap - the clingfilm saving charity..

Recommended Posts

Never heard of them.

http://www.wrap.org.uk/

They were on the radio about using less food wrapping and the like.

Promoting efficent use of resouces and all that.

Here's their board:

http://www.wrap.org.uk/about-us/our-people

Not much skimping there.

http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1159512&subid=0

Income: 27.1M, Spending 22.6M million - Wow!!!!!!

What charitable acitivy rasies 25m?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a weird one.  Where is it getting its income?  I don't see collecting tins or chuggers.  

My bet is that it is either government, EU or corporations funding it.  It's a pressure group. It only became a charity in 2014.  A tax wheeze I would think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do seem to be actually doing things rather than being some vague money-wasting "raising awareness" hub of pointlessness.

I've heard moans about supermarket good packaging for years but it will remain at the whinge level without some separate body like this exploring alternatives and developing standards.

Maybe it's just early and I haven't taken my cynicism pill!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They do seem to be actually doing things rather than being some vague money-wasting "raising awareness" hub of pointlessness.

I've heard moans about supermarket good packaging for years but it will remain at the whinge level without some separate body like this exploring alternatives and developing standards.

Maybe it's just early and I haven't taken my cynicism pill!

For years I have unpacked anything with unecessary packaging at the till and handed it to the supermarket cashier.

For example, batteries come in a plastic blister pack. Cigarettes don't. We all know what a battery looks like so a simple card box with a simple security seal would be fine.

If we all did that it would soon feedback as the retailer has to pay for disposal.

(I don't do this to independent shop keepers)

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

That's a weird one.  Where is it getting its income?  I don't see collecting tins or chuggers.  

My bet is that it is either government, EU or corporations funding it.  It's a pressure group. It only became a charity in 2014.  A tax wheeze I would think. 

I've worked with Wrap.  They're generally okay.

But it is a quango.  Pretty much all their money comes from government grants.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've worked with Wrap.  They're generally okay.

But it is a quango.  Pretty much all their money comes from government grants.  

Ta.  See,  I said as much. It's easy to tell which of these organisations are stealth funded by government. 

I don't understand the model at all. If government wants to reduce wrapping and waste, why not just legislate for it as they did with bags?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their income comes from us the taxpayer, £23 million thank you very much

5a1e7a0ba09de_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29091131.png.63671090e98e2a8c7e8d784491b90af8.png

Half of which is spent on themselves (doesn't include getting your mates in as contractors)

5a1e7a40bf29f_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29090932.png.f6ed1fa23247768542368144dc3489cd.png

5a1e7a56f3398_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29090841.png.22d4906348ca62450ab84bac0d53d85d.png

which is a nice little earner for turning up to 2 or 3 meetings a year

5a1e7a9b4d854_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29091449.png.3a97d20858d3d58e89121319c07e60f0.png

Wonder how many other "charities" these people work at on similar salaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks gibbon, well, sort of, not much good for my blood pressure - fuck me that kind of thing makes my blood boil.

What do I have to do to become an executive on a few "charities"? (And how is it a charity FFS? !) :PissedOff: 

It's a bit late for me to have gone to the right school. Quite happy to work a bit harder than them for the same money, should still leave me plenty of time for surfing and snowboarding and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Their income comes from us the taxpayer, £23 million thank you very much

5a1e7a0ba09de_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29091131.png.63671090e98e2a8c7e8d784491b90af8.png

Half of which is spent on themselves (doesn't include getting your mates in as contractors)

5a1e7a40bf29f_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29090932.png.f6ed1fa23247768542368144dc3489cd.png

5a1e7a56f3398_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29090841.png.22d4906348ca62450ab84bac0d53d85d.png

which is a nice little earner for turning up to 2 or 3 meetings a year

5a1e7a9b4d854_Screenshotfrom2017-11-29091449.png.3a97d20858d3d58e89121319c07e60f0.png

Wonder how many other "charities" these people work at on similar salaries.

Yeah -- the salaries higher up are a bit bonkers. 

But the normal people seem to work hard and have an impact in reducing waste in UK industry.  

The funny thing about the board remuneration is always the funny thing about board remuneration -- they get paid extremely handsomely for people that don't actually seem to have any impact on the way the organisation is run.  The people keep working, the organisation keeps existing, the output keeps on getting sent out.  I've no idea what these people actually do.  And I've actually served on the board of medium-sized charities -- But I, like the other board members, did it for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One percent said:

That's a weird one.  Where is it getting its income?  I don't see collecting tins or chuggers.  

My bet is that it is either government, EU or corporations funding it.  It's a pressure group. It only became a charity in 2014.  A tax wheeze I would think. 

It might come from things like the land land fill levy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Thanks gibbon, well, sort of, not much good for my blood pressure - fuck me that kind of thing makes my blood boil.

What do I have to do to become an executive on a few "charities"? (And how is it a charity FFS? !) :PissedOff: 

It's a bit late for me to have gone to the right school. Quite happy to work a bit harder than them for the same money, should still leave me plenty of time for surfing and snowboarding and the like.

Would like to say it's talent and hard work, but it's generally about going to the right school, daddy's connections, political connections etc. I worked at one place where a 70 year old bloke was parachuted in as director of IT at a huge quango. The OAP couldn't even use a computer. Was mates with Gordon Brown from what I recall. So basically stuff which was never in your control to begin with.

I decided years ago that I would rather be poor and self employed than continue contracting and bending the knee to these type of reprobates. I actually wondered how some of them were able to dress themselves in the morning. That's of course if they turned up instead of going straight to the golf course or "working" from home.

If I have kids I'm going to make them learn Chinese and to move east as soon as possible. Might not even be too late for me.

Edited by gibbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gibbon said:

Would like to say it's talent and hard work, but it's generally about going to the right school, daddy's connections, political connections etc. I worked at one place where a 70 year old bloke was parachuted in as director of IT at a huge quango. The OAP couldn't even use a computer. Was mates with Gordon Brown from what I recall. So basically stuff which was never in your control to begin with.

I decided years ago that I would rather be poor and self employed than continue contracting and bending the knee to these type of reprobates. I actually wondered how some of them were able to dress themselves in the morning. That's of course if they turned up instead of going straight to the golf course or "working" from home.

If I have kids I'm going to make them learn Chinese and to move east as soon as possible. Might not even be too late for me.

I would imagine membership of Common Purpose probably helps. 

I first noticed the phenomenon you describe about twenty years ago in my first job in a multinational corporation. There was a sort of feudal-overlord class of directors who were constantly changing, none of whom seemed to have any experience in the business or  much knowledge of it. Promotions from the ranks never seemed to reach there. It was like being in the army with all the red-tab staff coming from non-military backgrounds, and no actual soldiers getting higher than the rank of colonel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Mirror Mirror
      TCB behind the curve again.
      https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/4845147/former-pm-gordon-brown-claims-the-us-sat-on-secret-report-which-misled-the-uk-government-on-iraq-weapons-of-mass-destruction-view/?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SprnklrSUNOrganic&UTMX=Editorial:TheSunPolitics:TwImageandlink:Statement:Politics
      The phrase, "No shit Sherlock" springs to mind, still, I guess he has to drum up a bit of publicity for his book somehow.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.