DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

UK Shoppers' confidence wanes

The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I thought that the Black Friday sales were somewhat lacking. The oft much hyped Cyber Monday seemed almost non-existant.

U.K. consumers' mood soured again in November as Britons turned more pessimistic about the country's economic situation as well as their own finances, a survey published Thursday indicated, potentially signaling further trouble for Britain's domestic-driven economy.

The long-running barometer of consumer confidence, conducted by market researcher GfK U.K. Ltd. for the European Union's executive, dropped by two points in November and stood at minus 12. This follows a one-point decrease the previous month.

The survey indicated a decline in consumer views of the U.K.'s economic position and personal finance looking back on the last 12 months, as well as ahead.

It also detailed a significant drop in consumers' willingness to commit to big-ticket purchases, signaling that the ongoing living-standards squeeze--evident since last year's Brexit vote--is giving shoppers pause.

"The confidence trajectory is unquestionably negative and sadly no amount of tinsel or baubles will change it," Joe Staton, head of market dynamics at GfK, said.

The U.K. economy already slowed visibly this year, as accelerating inflation and meager wage growth squeezed Britons' wallets.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/uk-shoppers-turn-more-gloomy-on-economy-gfk-2017-11-30

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im spending the bare minimum,though i might push the boat out and have a proper fry up xmas day.i dont even spend any more on alchol at christmas (normaly less) has i wont pay to get in my local christmas day .And theres normaly cheap offers.ive even volentered to work xmas day night and new years eve to avoid a packed pub and for the double time.bar fking humbug.

The Masked Tulip
5 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Black Friday was a weird one this year. Average spend was definitely down from what I'm seeing from the tiny % of the market I can see.

It will be interesting if retailers panic in the coming weeks.

Chewing Grass

Never really thought much of Toys R Us, they appeared just before  my kids arrived and I always thought they were overpriced for what they were selling and a bit grubby for the market they were in. The convenience factor was there in the 1990s but they have probably been killed by online retailers as their overheads must be significantly higher.

14 hours ago, Ina said:

The most common carrier bags on Princes Street Edinburgh and Briggate Leeds are definitely Primarni.

Another anecdote from me.

About five weeks ago I went to Carlisle. I’m not a consumer of much more than I need but will buy occasionally from charity shops, eBay or sales.

I found it interesting on the Carlisle trip that the Primark shop at one end of the high street shopping centre, the lanes, was rammed with people whereas the Debenhams at the other end was sorely lacking consumers!

Today I was at Dumfries for a nosey around. Huge signs in River Island, Debenhams, Monsoon, New Look and others 40% off. Nothing off in M&S though xD

The high street reeks of desperation, well apart from M&S today. Not many folks in the clothing section there today!

Chewing Grass

I would rather buy quality rather than quantity, plain white T-shirts are a particular problem with regard to the cotton and the thickness of them.

I struck lucky with some Diadora ones 15 years ago, bought half a dozen and I still have 3 of them in regular use now.

When it can to topping my supply up all the ones I bought were quite literally shite.

Eventually I pre-ordered some through kickstarter from Tom Cridland who wanted to produce a 30-year T-Shirt.

"Fashions change and we designers stay in business by developing the new fashions, but wardrobe staples should be made beautifully, to last," said Mr Cridland.

"With a plain white t-shirt, there's no innovation, you are just buying the same thing over and over again."

https://www.tomcridland.com/collections/the-30-year-t-shirt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11784580/Move-over-30-year-sweatshirt.-The-30-year-t-shirt-is-here.html

I hate shopping for clothes so the price for durable quality is well worth it.

The Masked Tulip
7 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Another anecdote from me.

About five weeks ago I went to Carlisle. I’m not a consumer of much more than I need but will buy occasionally from charity shops, eBay or sales.

I found it interesting on the Carlisle trip that the Primark shop at one end of the high street shopping centre, the lanes, was rammed with people whereas the Debenhams at the other end was sorely lacking consumers!

Today I was at Dumfries for a nosey around. Huge signs in River Island, Debenhams, Monsoon, New Look and others 40% off. Nothing off in M&S though xD

The high street reeks of desperation, well apart from M&S today. Not many folks in the clothing section there today!

Apparently online clothes shops Asos and Boohoo have eaten dramtically into High Street clothing profits - even hitting Primark.

I have never shopped at them so have no idea what they are like - mainly female and youth clothing I think.

Online retailers are buying up stock quicker than high street retailers - this means empty shelves or low stock in physical shops. It's cut throat.

I expect massive inflation in essentials at some point as power consolidates to the most nimble traders.

The Masked Tulip
6 hours ago, 201p said:

Online retailers are buying up stock quicker than high street retailers - this means empty shelves or low stock in physical shops. It's cut throat.

I expect massive inflation in essentials at some point as power consolidates to the most nimble traders.

We have it in butter - butter has basically doubled in price since Nov 2016.

14 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I would rather buy quality rather than quantity, plain white T-shirts are a particular problem with regard to the cotton and the thickness of them.

I struck lucky with some Diadora ones 15 years ago, bought half a dozen and I still have 3 of them in regular use now.

When it can to topping my supply up all the ones I bought were quite literally shite.

Eventually I pre-ordered some through kickstarter from Tom Cridland who wanted to produce a 30-year T-Shirt.

"Fashions change and we designers stay in business by developing the new fashions, but wardrobe staples should be made beautifully, to last," said Mr Cridland.

"With a plain white t-shirt, there's no innovation, you are just buying the same thing over and over again."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11784580/Move-over-30-year-sweatshirt.-The-30-year-t-shirt-is-here.html

You should enquire if he has any interest in adding wooden spatulas to his product range.

19 minutes ago, SNACR said:

You should enquire if he has any interest in adding wooden spatulas to his product range.

How many spatulas does anybody want? I can do dosbods branded if you like.

On 02/12/2017 at 21:17, Chewing Grass said:

The only brand that has thick clothes nowadays is Superdry. I have always thought this was the secret to its success but nobody else seems to have noticed this. 

There's a gap in the market for simple thick material clothes .

11 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

The only brand that has thick clothes nowadays is Superdry. I have always thought this was the secret to its success but nobody else seems to have noticed this. 

They're pretty much the only brand I buy these days.  In the sales or outlets the price is pretty reasonable too

On 12/5/2017 at 11:25, sukuinage said:

They're pretty much the only brand I buy these days.  In the sales or outlets the price is pretty reasonable too

The eBay outlet (official one) is very cheap if they have your size. Even if you buy the premium "orange label" stuff it's better quality than something 3x the price like Armani.

The interesting thing about 'confidence' is that it is ultimately tied to the actual economy.  Yet what we seem to actually hear that confidence drives the economy.

I'd suggest that TPTB make use of shoring up confidence to tide us over small glitches in the economy, but where there is a structural problem this sort of stimulation for the economy is counter-productive -- it enables businesses that are inefficient and poorly matched to the real needs of the economy to survive where they shouldn't (which is bad enough) and also makes people expend money in ways that are not beneficial to their longer term needs (which is probably worse) -- in effect, they're taking advantage of the 'poor of discipline' in the population to keep the economy afloat.

Anyway, we do have structural problems in the economy, caused by bringing demand forwards 10+ years ago, and all the sticking plasters they put on it are now failing.  The 'confidence in the economy' is just like the other easy-fixes (eg, supporting housing) -- it doesn't fix in the medium term, and in the longer term just makes things worse.

Chewing Grass
49 minutes ago, dgul said:

The interesting thing about 'confidence' is that it is ultimately tied to the actual economy.  Yet what we seem to actually hear that confidence drives the economy.

Confidence has run out, it now requires blind faith and ignorance.

On 12/4/2017 at 23:51, spunko2010 said:

Gap used to do excellent thick t-shirts, i'm talking some years ago here, their jeans were pretty decent too. Then they brought into the fast fashion bollocks and their t-shirts were wafer thin and the jeans were just plain weird only suitable for a 17 year old. Bet they are still scratching their heads at HQ why 3/4 of their stores have closed down.

I'll check out Superdry thanks.

I buy my t-shirts from decathlon now. They are plain, and the ones at £4.99 are quite nice really. The cheaper ones I buy for the gym. I just buy about 6 per year, and relegate them to layabout clothes when they get stains etc.

On 12/9/2017 at 19:31, Reebo said:

I buy my t-shirts from decathlon now. They are plain, and the ones at £4.99 are quite nice really. The cheaper ones I buy for the gym. I just buy about 6 per year, and relegate them to layabout clothes when they get stains etc.

Same. Most of my clothes these days seems to come from there. 

I was looking for some cargo type pants, normally I'd get stuff from Mantaray in Debenhams but their quality has gone down and they're still trying to charge top dollar. 

Went to the hiking section, picked up a pair that have lasted all this year with regular use, wearing them about 3-4 times a week - cost £25. Bargain.

Just bought another thicker pair from the hiking section, £30. Should last another year or two.

I buy a shit load of tshirts from the gym clothing section - they're about £1.50 each, just buy 4 or 6 of black and white, they fit fine, the material is decent and not paper thin, fine for wearing under shirts for work / slumming around.

Bought my running gear from decathlon and just bought a waterproof jacket with a zip-in down fleece, £80. Kept me dry and toasty this last week or so, a similar spec coat would cost £150 minimum.

7 minutes ago, JFK said:

Same. Most of my clothes these days seems to come from there. 

I was looking for some cargo type pants, normally I'd get stuff from Mantaray in Debenhams but their quality has gone down and they're still trying to charge top dollar. 

Went to the hiking section, picked up a pair that have lasted all this year with regular use, wearing them about 3-4 times a week - cost £25. Bargain.

Just bought another thicker pair from the hiking section, £30. Should last another year or two.

I buy a shit load of tshirts from the gym clothing section - they're about £1.50 each, just buy 4 or 6 of black and white, they fit fine, the material is decent and not paper thin, fine for wearing under shirts for work / slumming around.

Bought my running gear from decathlon and just bought a waterproof jacket with a zip-in down fleece, £80. Kept me dry and toasty this last week or so, a similar spec coat would cost £150 minimum.

I buy Mantaray jeans usually. The last 2 pairs I got weren't as good as the ones before, about 4 years ago. I guess we have the same taste in fashion, lol.

The stuff from the hunting section in Decathlon is pretty good, I wear some of it for work.

8 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I buy Mantaray jeans usually. The last 2 pairs I got weren't as good as the ones before, about 4 years ago. I guess we have the same taste in fashion, lol.

The stuff from the hunting section in Decathlon is pretty good, I wear some of it for work.

:Beer:

On 12/9/2017 at 19:31, Reebo said:

I only discovered Decathlon last year and have bought quite a few things from them since.  Decent quality for the price.  I too like their t-shirts.  

Archived