• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Watches, future heirlooms.

Recommended Posts

I apologise if there is another thread on watches. Please merge if that’s the case.

I’m not a watch aficionado, they tell the time that’s about as far is it goes for me. However my costs have dropped considerably and I want to incentivise MrsLTS to save and can only really do so if there’s a material destination and the only thing I can think worthwhile is a watch for her 40th and one (ostensibly) for me but really to be handed down to my son.

I think Rolex’s are a bit naff and have stumbled across the rather understated Tudor brand (owned and manufactured by the same house that manufacture Rolex). Would this be a worthwhile contender. 

Would like to spend no more than £6k. Classic steel for the men’s (£2.5-3k) and a more dressy one for the ladies (£3-3.5k) MrsLTS has a Tag Heuer Aquaracer with a pearl face and brushed steel bracelet.

Opinions please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does she like Louis Vuitton? :D

I can't offer any advice as I don't get watch officianados either. All the aircrew I spoke to in the RAF seemed to be obsessed with them. What I can't understand is whether they have fallen for the marketing hype or whether the marketing (every watch advert seems to involve planes) has developed from their obsession?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Generation Game said:

Does she like Louis Vuitton? 

I can't offer any advice as I don't get watch officianados either. All the aircrew I spoke to in the RAF seemed to be obsessed with them. What I can't understand is whether they have fallen for the marketing hype or whether the marketing (every watch advert seems to involve planes) has developed from their obsession?

Tag Heuer is a part of the LVMH empire. 

Breitling heavily market their watches to squaddies, they take a £4k off the shelf item, customise the back cover with a limited edition etch and number, stencil in a pretty watch face exclusive to the squadron, add two grand to the RRP and then sell them at discount for... £4,000. Nearly all my mates in the services have a Breitling :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you don't really want a fancy watch why not just buy your son a watch (if he wants one)?

tbh, it sounds like you want these watches for the sake of it. how about another goal instead? a holiday?

I bought an automatic Seiko SNK two weeks ago. I can honestly say I love it, it cost £70...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I apologise if there is another thread on watches. Please merge if that’s the case.

I’m not a watch aficionado, they tell the time that’s about as far is it goes for me. However my costs have dropped considerably and I want to incentivise MrsLTS to save and can only really do so if there’s a material destination and the only thing I can think worthwhile is a watch for her 40th and one (ostensibly) for me but really to be handed down to my son.

I think Rolex’s are a bit naff and have stumbled across the rather understated Tudor brand (owned and manufactured by the same house that manufacture Rolex). Would this be a worthwhile contender. 

Would like to spend no more than £6k. Classic steel for the men’s (£2.5-3k) and a more dressy one for the ladies (£3-3.5k) MrsLTS has a Tag Heuer Aquaracer with a pearl face and brushed steel bracelet.

Opinions please. 

Oh dear - it's a weakness of mine

Rolex whether you think naff or not is the easiest to shift on should you need the money (bar a zombie apocalypse scenario where people barter tins of beans). Go anywhere in the world and people know Rolex. I could rock up with an audemars piguet

Image result for audemars piguet

worth twice as much as a rolex daytona and most people would think it's something out of argos

Get a clean one with papers (or one with a recent service receipt from Rolex, although I would only buy with papers) - pre-owned so the first owner takes the tax hit

Go for recently discontinued models and not overly blinged (if that makes sense) or customised. Get a mid-range one, i.e. one that other people can afford(ish). Anything really high end is harder to shift as there's obviously a smaller market with that amount of disposable money.

I'm waiting for the milgauss GV to be discontinued - I think it's a beautiful watch and will increase in value over the long term.

The bottom line is the world is awash with money and people are looking into anything that gives any return. Is it a bubble? Not yet, but I've seen prices rise over the last 3 years, but I guess that just means money is becoming worth less

Chrono24.com is a great site to get a feel for the market - there's a phone app for it, so if you see something in a jewellers you can immediately compare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

When it comes to Watches I'm afraid its only Patek Phillipe and Rolex that will hold their value.

Any other brand I would only buy Pre-owned avoid Tag Heuer and Breitling at all costs not many real Watch fans would consider buying them ever.

Sorry, have to disagree. Patek Phillippe are way out of reach for 99.99% of people, and the truism that Rolex always hold their value is false. They are seen by some as gaudy and tacky, apologies to @Knock Out Johnny who I believe has one.  There are a few models that do hold value, but they are expensive, and the majority do not. Most Rolex watches, like most Breitling and all(?)TAG Heuer, as well as several 'cheaper' Swiss luxury brands, are made completely by machine. 

A good place to start is Watchfinder which lists used watch prices. EG this Hublot Big Bang:

The list price for new is £25k....

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/hublot/big-bang-ice-bang-chronograph--id6705519.htm

Do not go into this as an investment unless you have extremely deep pockets (£50k+). Anyway I would personally recommend IWC. They are understated, if that's your thing.

 

https://www.berrysjewellers.co.uk/watches-c10/iwc-schaffhausen-m51/ladies-t67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ont thing I was told years ago by a horologist was that ladies should never, ever apply perfume whilst in the proximity of their watch.

He reckoned a large part of his work was fixing watches gunged up by perfume particles.

Things might be different now of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an owner but I have read the odd thread here and there.

In your price bracket how about something like an Omega seamaster aqua terra

Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-15000-Gauss-2

 

Or for less than £1k a Seiko cocktail time

688818-seiko-sarb065-cocktail-time-24082

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Not advice but if I was going to spend that much on a watch now I would take a little jaunt to Gibraltar to pick it up - having done the negotition beforehand.

Might as well get a free holiday out of it.

Got my current watch from Andorra. Casio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Panther said:

Not an owner but I have read the odd thread here and there.

In your price bracket how about something like an Omega seamaster aqua terra

Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-15000-Gauss-2

 

Or for less than £1k a Seiko cocktail time

688818-seiko-sarb065-cocktail-time-24082

The Omega Sea Master is one stunning watch. I’ll add that to my ‘watch’ list excuse the pun. 

Edit: will look to purchase one is March and a second in September. We’ve done New York this year and I can do without another holiday, MrsLTS would like to take the kids to DisneyWorld next year and I couldn’t think if anything worse so channeling energy to something tangible instead. :) 

Edited by longtomsilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

ok i know nothing about watches other than some use them to wear and a store of wealth,but if houses,classic cars and the stockmarket are in bubble territory so to wont collectable watches be ?

Kind of - depends on the brand

Rolex as a supplier never discount. Never. If sales are low retailers try and shave some of their margin, but Rolex won't take a hit. This limits numbers in the second hand market and the 2nd hand market is also (obviously) pegged to the new price.

Other brands, I don't know, but I saw a Richard Mille that originally retailed at £500,000 (no not a typo) and within a year was on the second hand market (sorry, ahem, pre-used cough cough) at £250,000.

Edited by Knock Out Johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Libspero said:

You sound like you have your heart set on it so I don't want to be unduly negative.

As a thinking point..   your motivation is that your kids will keep this as a treasured heirloom,  but bear in mind you are buying a fashion accessory,  and fashions change.

Look at some second hand watches from your fathers era,   would you want them now ?

That's not a loaded question..  but bear it in mind if you do go ahead with a purchase.  You want something that is going to date as little as possible otherwise it may just end up in the attic with all the other odds and sods and bits of old furniture. 

I disagree. I actually think my son wants me to drop dead so he can nick my 30 year old Omega Seamaster.

Some things really don't date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I disagree. I actually think my son wants me to drop dead so he can nick my 30 year old Omega Seamaster.

Some things really don't date.

That's fine,  and a good example.

Here is the original Omega Seamaster from 1948:

Rare-First-Edition-Omega-Seamaster-Autom

 

Looks ok,   but I'm not sure it has held up massively well against the passage of time.   Beauty of course, is in the eye of the beholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

You sound like you have your heart set on it so I don't want to be unduly negative.

As a thinking point..   your motivation is that your kids will keep this as a treasured heirloom,  but bear in mind you are buying a fashion accessory,  and fashions change.

Look at some second hand watches from your fathers era,   would you want them now ?

That's not a loaded question..  but bear it in mind if you do go ahead with a purchase.  You want something that is going to date as little as possible otherwise it may just end up in the attic with all the other odds and sods and bits of old furniture. 

That’s certainly a consideration. I inherited my grandfathers Vacheron Constantin and it really was of an era 65-70s he paid £30k for the watch and I’m ashamed to say it was worth more as the sum of it’s parts (scrap gold) than the product. Offered £1k vs £2.6k so I opted for the latter. The Omega Seamaster looks as though it should age well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

That’s certainly a consideration. I inherited my grandfathers Vacheron Constantin and it really was of an era 65-70s he paid £30k for the watch and I’m ashamed to say it was worth more as the sum of it’s parts (scrap gold) than the product. Offered £1k vs £2.6k so I opted for the latter. The Omega Seamaster looks as though it should age well.

I presume your £30k is the equivalent now not 1970

I don't understand why you were offerend just 1k

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Vacheron Constantin/Watches

Edited by Knock Out Johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

That’s certainly a consideration. I inherited my grandfathers Vacheron Constantin and it really was of an era 65-70s he paid £30k for the watch and I’m ashamed to say it was worth more as the sum of it’s parts (scrap gold) than the product. Offered £1k vs £2.6k so I opted for the latter. The Omega Seamaster looks as though it should age well.

He doesn't have a collection of empty boxes by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to come across as the twat trolling a subject they're not interested in, but I really, honestly have never got the expensive watch thing. For every expensive beautiful watch you can buy an equally beautiful "cheap" watch.

YMMV But I'm currently wearing a rather nice ultra slim Skagen titanium dress watch that is in my eyes at least as good looking as anything from the Prestige brands costing orders of magnitude more. And I don't have to insure it or worry about getting it nicked or breaking it or it going out of fashion or anything. It's just one example, though for every style of watch I'm sure you could find others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.