• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Nosler

Trivial Things that annoy you

Recommended Posts

This is a common annoyance to me: people ringing you re. work outside of office hours (triggered by the fact someone just rang me now on a non-urgent business matter). I am not interested at taking calls at 6pm on a Friday night when it can wait until Monday. I had 2 inane voice messages left this morning between 7am-8am (despite being in work I won't answer).I totally understand if its part of your job to take international calls or if you have a specific requirement to be on call but for a lot of people that doesn't apply.

I am very often at my desk at 6am in the morning and i never do less than a 50 hour week and often far more (I will be in tomorrow at 7am) but the difference is I would never start calling people until at least 9am as I believe that is polite and doesn't impose my work schedule on others. Why should I expect someone to talk to me over their morning cereal just because I happen to start early? I ring people during 9am-5pm hours (unless its the sort of service open-all-hours). I can get really irritated at the lack of consideration given. Rant over!

 

Edited by SillyBilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

This is a common annoyance to me: people ringing you re. work outside of office hours (triggered by the fact someone just rang me now on a non-urgent business matter). I am not interested at taking calls at 6pm on a Friday night which it can wait until Monday. I had 2 voice messages left this morning between 7am-8am (despite being in work I won't answer).I totally understand if its part of your job to take international calls or if you have a specific requirement to be on call but for a lot of people that doesn't apply.

I am very often at my desk at 6am in the morning and i never do less than a 50 hour week and often far more (I will be in tomorrow at 7am) but the difference is I would never start calling people until at least 9am as I believe that is polite and doesn't impose my work schedule on others. Why should I expect someone to talk to me over their morning cereal just because I happen to start early? I ring people during 9am-5pm hours (unless its the sort of service open-all-hours). I can get really irritated at the lack of consideration given. Rant over!

 

How the fuck have they got your personal phone number?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

How the fuck have they got your personal phone number?  

Not personal, work mobile. I run a small business so the people who have my number is quite considerable from employees to suppliers to customers to service providers to general business contacts etc. etc. I often don't recognise the number so feel compelled to answer yet I can't remember a single instance ever where I've been called out-of-hours where it has been necessary for us to speak at that moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

Not personal, work mobile. I run a small business so the people who have my number is quite considerable from employees to suppliers to customers to service providers to general business contacts etc. etc. I often don't recognise the number so feel compelled to answer yet I can't remember a single instance ever where I've been called out-of-hours where it has been necessary for us to speak at that moment. 

I was going to say, if it was a work phone, just switch it off 

Maybe they just expect to leave a message.  If I’m dealing with a business, I might contact them over the weekend but I would not expect a reply. I’m just doing it then as it is when I have time. If I phoned and there was no answer, I wouldn’t be bothered. 

Maybe it’s about your mindset. Maybe manage expectations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was going to say, if it was a work phone, just switch it off 

Maybe they just expect to leave a message.  If I’m dealing with a business, I might contact them over the weekend but I would not expect a reply. I’m just doing it then as it is when I have time. If I phoned and there was no answer, I wouldn’t be bothered. 

Maybe it’s about your mindset. Maybe manage expectations. 

Customers call me at the weekend. If I do answer, the first line is always 'i didn't think you would be there'.

So why feckin phone then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Not personal, work mobile. I run a small business so the people who have my number is quite considerable from employees to suppliers to customers to service providers to general business contacts etc. etc. I often don't recognise the number so feel compelled to answer yet I can't remember a single instance ever where I've been called out-of-hours where it has been necessary for us to speak at that moment. 

I'm the same. I'll grudgingly answer a call on Saturday, if it's something tedious or unnecessary then I'll cut it short.

I don't answer customer calls on a Sunday. I used to but I got tired of being in the middle of a Sunday roast and having Betty ring me to discuss the health of her shrubbery (gratis, natch) for forty minutes. It's surprising the sort of tedious bullshit someone will want to discuss with you at eight in the evening on a Sunday but some people have no concept of time....or anyone else's.

I've never had a query on a Sunday that couldn't have waited, so I don't pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Customers call me at the weekend. If I do answer, the first line is always 'i didn't think you would be there'.

So why feckin phone then?

To leave a message?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was going to say, if it was a work phone, just switch it off 

Maybe they just expect to leave a message.  If I’m dealing with a business, I might contact them over the weekend but I would not expect a reply. I’m just doing it then as it is when I have time. If I phoned and there was no answer, I wouldn’t be bothered. 

Maybe it’s about your mindset. Maybe manage expectations. 

I perhaps should have said it is never customers, we're not that sort of business - we're a paint manufacturer (don't sell direct) so my customers (typically traders/distributors) work office hours like we do, I wouldn't mind as much if it was customers and there was a genuine business need but there is not.

I don't have a separate work/personal phone either which I guess is the root of the problem - I used to but got tired of having to carry 2 phones about in my pocket. And also if I am being honest I don't actually very often text or ring people personally so even the relatively cheap £10 a month contract and a cheap Nexus bought off Ebay was a bit of a waste of money. If people didn't ring with s**te I might not have to have 2 phones but may have to do it again!

Edited by SillyBilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People seem to be partaking in competitive coughing in our office at the moment. As loud, rattly and conspicuous as possible :wanker:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

I perhaps should have said it is never customers, we're not that sort of business - we're a paint manufacturer (don't sell direct) so my customers (typically traders/distributors) work office hours like we do, I wouldn't mind as much if it was customers and there was a genuine business need but there is not.

I don't have a separate work/personal phone either which I guess is the root of the problem - I used to but got tired of having to carry 2 phones about in my pocket. And also if I am being honest I don't actually very often text or ring people personally so even the relatively cheap £10 a month contract and a cheap Nexus bought off Ebay was a bit of a waste of money. If people didn't ring with s**te I might not have to have 2 phones but may have to do it again!

Another option is that I just don’t respond to telephone unless I’m actually sitting at my desk. If queried, I say that I only respond to emails. It seems to work and no one has objected 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I'm the same. I'll grudgingly answer a call on Saturday, if it's something tedious or unnecessary then I'll cut it short.

I don't answer customer calls on a Sunday. I used to but I got tired of being in the middle of a Sunday roast and having Betty ring me to discuss the health of her shrubbery (gratis, natch) for forty minutes. It's surprising the sort of tedious bullshit someone will want to discuss with you at eight in the evening on a Sunday but some people have no concept of time....or anyone else's.

I've never had a query on a Sunday that couldn't have waited, so I don't pick up.

That is what it boils down to at the end of the day, a little respect for someone's time. I am not sure if you a tradesman but I can well imagine having to field nonsense calls at all hours. As per the example you've given I would certainly think twice before ringing my sparky say at 1pm on a Sunday for a call which could wait until Monday - I would expect he'd be digging into his Sunday dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.