• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Nosler

Trivial Things that annoy you

On 4/10/2017 at 21:49, Dipsy said:

People who clog up garage forecourts by refusing to use a petrol pump that is on the "wrong" side of their filler cap. 

To be fair, I'd say 75% of petrol stations have pumps that extend to the other side. I usually take the gamble, but I can understand why some wouldn't (usually supermarket forecourts don't have pumps that extend to both sides), if you fuck it up and there's traffic behind you it means going out and coming back in to queue again.

5 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

To be fair, I'd say 75% of petrol stations have pumps that extend to the other side. I usually take the gamble, but I can understand why some wouldn't (usually supermarket forecourts don't have pumps that extend to both sides), if you fuck it up and there's traffic behind you it means going out and coming back in to queue again.

Agreed. If you have a 4x4 you need to park with pinpoint accuracy to get the hose to reach to the other side.

4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Our local Sainsburys has huge signs that say "Extra long reach hoses" even though they are nothing of the sort, so it might just be a psychological trick to avoid the situation you describe. Ironically the pumps are far enough apart for a "centre lane" meaning you can generally reach a suitable pump at will anyway.

While we're on the subject of petrol stations....

People who don't park close enough to the pump, meaning the poor bastard on the other side doesn't have enough room to reach their side.

and one I encountered last week....

Imagine the far right hand side of the forecourt. - two pumps in front of each other

Enough space for two lanes - so that if queuing and the person at the front leaves, someone can swing infront of them.

There I was behind the two pumps waiting.

Some cunt in a van pulls alongside the pump at the front and parks!

Meaning even if the front car had left I wouldn't be able to swing in and also the person just in front of me (the most rear of the two pumps) couldn't leave when she got back.

Being an absolute pussy I shook my head alot and shrugged my shoulders with the woman in front of me

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think we can safely say that absolutely no one, ever, has enjoyed buying petrol.

You know, it's one of those things you just get used to - in Asia petrol is served to you, you don't leave your car to pay and keep the engine running to keep the aircon on.

Yes, serving myself in a cold wind would annoy me!

1 minute ago, Bkkandrew said:

You know, it's one of those things you just get used to - in Asia petrol is served to you, you don't leave your car to pay and keep the engine running to keep the aircon on.

I permanently get it wrong in the US.

Last time I was there, I had rented a huge gas guzzling thing. Needed to fill it up and therefore had to prepay - it wouldn't take an international credit card.

Knowing fuel was cheaper. I prepaid $50 in the station. (My gas guzzler in the UK can take £100)

Filled it up. Then had the walk of shame to go and get my $20 refund.

6 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

In the Middle East it's similar. You drive up and someone fills your tank up. All for 20 pence a litre :)

5 minutes ago, Nosler said:

In the Middle East it's similar. You drive up and someone fills your tank up. All for 20 pence a litre :)

Diesel hit $0.45/liter on Highway 4 between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville towards the end of last year.

Paying over £1 and having to do it myself would also annoy me!

5 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Diesel hit $0.45/liter on Highway 4 between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville towards the end of last year.

Paying over £1 and having to do it myself would also annoy me!

what are you doing out there? I understand they filled the Green Lake in?

You blown up a cow with an RPG yet?

19 minutes ago, Nosler said:

what are you doing out there? I understand they filled the Green Lake in?

You blown up a cow with an RPG yet?

Moved here from Thailand 7 years ago, after 12 years there.

Boung Kak Lake filled in 2012.

Don't do touristy things, too busy with work. Not even Killing Fields or S21. Definitely no exploding cows.

Did take the family to Angkor Wat, but I would have been lynched if I didn't!

26 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Moved here from Thailand 7 years ago, after 12 years there.

Boung Kak Lake filled in 2012.

Don't do touristy things, too busy with work. Not even Killing Fields or S21. Definitely no exploding cows.

Did take the family to Angkor Wat, but I would have been lynched if I didn't!

what do you do out there?

I went to Angkor Wat and I was a bit disappointed. I probably "bigged it up" too much in my mind and the reality was disappointing.

A boat ride among Tonle Sap was amazing though :)

I thought there was a law that everyone that went to Cambodia had to fire an AK47?

2 hours ago, eight said:

Our local Sainsburys has huge signs that say "Extra long reach hoses" even though they are nothing of the sort, so it might just be a psychological trick to avoid the situation you describe. Ironically the pumps are far enough apart for a "centre lane" meaning you can generally reach a suitable pump at will anyway.

Yep Sainsbury's one IME are on the shorter side, I haven't got a massive car and the few times I've gone for the other side I've found them to be too short to use safely.

3 hours ago, Thombleached said:

I have a small car so I've never have a problem with the hose stretching but appreciate larger cars are more problematic. There is something else that annoys me - those garages that have now become mini supermarkets - I just want to pay for my fuel and end up waiting behind someone with a weeks worth of shopping. They recently introduced a fuel only checkout at my nearest one but that still doesn't stop arseholes getting in the wrong queue "accidently".  Glad I only fill up every couple of months!

39 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I have a small car so I've never have a problem with the hose stretching but appreciate larger cars are more problematic. There is something else that annoys me - those garages that have now become mini supermarkets - I just want to pay for my fuel and end up waiting behind someone with a weeks worth of shopping. They recently introduced a fuel only checkout at my nearest one but that still doesn't stop arseholes getting in the wrong queue "accidently".  Glad I only fill up every couple of months!

You could always fill a couple of these up and pay for them in the supermarket (if its a Sainsbury's or other supermarket filling station). That would teach them! :)

big_benza20l_70.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

There is one near where I work, it's almost impossible to use as a garage because the place is jammed with cars (literally 4 parking spaces for a large retail foot print) and then there are massive lines at the checkout because somebody is doing their weekly shop. What makes it even worse is people come in for petrol and then do 10 minutes of shopping while parked at the pump. 

This is in the middle of London in an area where I suspect a large percentage of the locals don't actually have cars, that means this shop is the main grocery shop for a lot of people. 

5 minutes ago, gilf said:

There is one near where I work, it's almost impossible to use as a garage because the place is jammed with cars (literally 4 parking spaces for a large retail foot print) and then there are massive lines at the checkout because somebody is doing their weekly shop. What makes it even worse is people come in for petrol and then do 10 minutes of shopping while parked at the pump. 

This is in the middle of London in an area where I suspect a large percentage of the locals don't actually have cars, that means this shop is the main grocery shop for a lot of people. 

My local BP / M&S has gone one better by adding a Costa and a table or two so you can actually drink your foul smelling stuff whilst looking out of the window at all the fuming motorists in the queue.

Cars and laziness:

People at the tip who absolutely have to be parked right next to their particular skip.  Meaning a queue of cars stretching out onto the road even though there are plenty of empty spaces but you can't get round the lazy slefish one who is waiting for their particular spot.  And none of the chatting staff telling them to just move.

At a junior school I walk past on some afternoons I see loads of parents parked up over half an hour before throwing out time, sat in their cars and reading a book.  Just so they can be close to the school gates.  There is absolutely loads of parking, you would never not be able to get a space, but if you arrived on time rather than half an hour early you might actually have to walk a hundred yards.

You lazy lazy gets.

Clam shell packaging designed to tear your hands apart regardless of how you attack it with a pair of scissors. The people designing those deserve to burn in hell for all eternity whilst writhing in agony impaled on a spike (think Doom).

Edited by TheBlueCat

On 10/04/2017 at 16:20, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

People who have group conversations in doorways, at the tops of stairs or outside lift doors. Stand to the side FFS!

Similarly, people who get off the escalator and stop with no awareness that there are a whole load of people coming up behind them. Idiots.

This drives me into a murderous rage. How can people be so blind to their surroundings that they don't realise they're causing an obstruction. The only this worse than groups of people getting in my way is being part of a group that is getting in the way but being unable to get the rest of the group to move somewhere more sensible.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Cars and laziness:

People at the tip who absolutely have to be parked right next to their particular skip.  Meaning a queue of cars stretching out onto the road even though there are plenty of empty spaces but you can't get round the lazy slefish one who is waiting for their particular spot.  And none of the chatting staff telling them to just move.

At a junior school I walk past on some afternoons I see loads of parents parked up over half an hour before throwing out time, sat in their cars and reading a book.  Just so they can be close to the school gates.  There is absolutely loads of parking, you would never not be able to get a space, but if you arrived on time rather than half an hour early you might actually have to walk a hundred yards.

You lazy lazy gets.

Yep, and they leave their engines running whilst waiting for sprogs.

1 minute ago, Dipsy said:

Yep, and they leave their engines running whilst waiting for sprogs.

I hadn't noticed that but maybe some do.

It's that I cannot see any excuse for it; unless there's a horrendous accident traffic is always going to be fine, the school isn't going to throw the kids out half an hour early.  I don't know what the bell time is but say it's three, as it's about then, most of these parents coudl leave home at 2.45pm and get there comfortably.  But they are deicidng to leave home at 2.15pm and sit in their car for half an hour.  Wibble.

It's a junior school so I think the rules prevent the kids from walking home by themselves these days so it's not the cars per se to which I am objecting.

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Clam shell packaging designed to tear your hands apart regardless of how you attack it with a pair of scissors. The people designing those deserve to burn in hell for all eternity whilst writhing in agony impaled on a spike (think Doom).

I've started carrying a knife because I often can't get packaging open. It's easier just to cut away the packaging than spend 10 minutes faffing like an out of depth contestant on the Krypton Factor.