• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Net UK immigration down - supposedly. But who were they?

Yeah -n any time some idiot talks about net immigration you should say:

So 100,000 doctors leave and 100,000 taxi drivers come in.  Net immigration zero.  Has the country benefited or lost?

30 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

So net migration down but still very high.

But who were they? This IMO is more important than the numbers. And what exactly are they doing in the UK?  Those productivity figures keep dropping - now why would that be?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42178038

Ignoring your question and instead looking at the numbers, we only need to build another Milton Keynes this year instead of another Sunderland. Over the two years that's basically another Bristol.  

4 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Ignoring your question and instead looking at the numbers, we only need to build another Milton Keynes this year instead of another Sunderland. Over the two years that's basically another Bristol.  

Another Greater London since about 1995 I think... Unsurprisingly as the 2nd Greater London hasn't been built, it's feeling a bit crowded.

To answer your original question (and having watched the "Flexit" video @Dave Beans posted yesterday), I would say a good chunk of them are people who have come over on student visas (whether they were actual students or just used the dodgy training college system to get in is another question) and just ignored the fact that they've expired. 

These things seem to go in waves. Just before I turned my back on London a couple of years ago, I noticed a massive increase in Spaniards. Maybe their baseline was low so they became more noticeable? It seemed to be a mixture of unskilled and semi-skilled workers. 

I remember reading about a huge net migration from Portugal to Angola, something that traditionally happened the other way around. 

I'm surprised that there wasn't a more noticeable rise in Greeks (but then there has always been a decent population of them in London - particularly Greek Cypriots). 

Edited by The Generation Game

Immigration minister Brandon Lewis said the UK was still a country able to attract the "brightest and the best".

Apart from the fact it doesn't and the brightest and the best abandon the U.K. as soon as they can. I have hired loads!

Quite depressing really.  I'm a classic immigrant/returner you want - no criminal record, well educated, pays taxes and put time into community stuff. Was born in the UK, and have ancestry from there and Holland going back to the 1600's - but there is no way I would ever accept a job back in London or any major city except Edinburgh now.  Taxes too high on income, housing too high in safe areas, and future demographics are baking in sectarian/group violence in years ahead.

The pollies in Westminster have destroyed one of the best countries in the world.

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

How does this square with the news that the UK issued 860,000 residence permits in 2016?

I think the reality is that once people are in the country, with or without a good case for asylum, most will end up staying one way or another. Deportation procedures are expensive and difficult.  Just under 40k people deported or left voluntarily after procedures were started in 2016. Many more arrived I would think. There are probably millions of illegal immigrants in the UK, numbers depend on who you ask.

The UK is drowning under it's own poor systems. 

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/deportations-removals-and-voluntary-departures-from-the-uk/